Author Topic: Transporting Ice shacks  (Read 1682 times)

Offline thenortherner

• IceShanty Rookie
Transporting Ice shacks
« on: Oct 11, 2018, 11:59 AM »
We recently just bought a ice shack that is 8x14 and is built on skids with puckboard on the bottom of the skids.   There are Eye hooks to tow from but I'm wondering if there are any genius ideas on ways to transport the shack to and from the lake.    from our lot its gravel road and asphalt and about a 5 minute drive.   I rather not tear the skids and puckboard to pieces :(

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Transporting Ice shacks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2018, 12:44 PM »
A flatbed trailer that has the bed over the wheels, then winch it up.  Make a wheel system for it, but probably not easy since it was not incorperated into the original design (probably not stout enough).  Locally I have seen a few people that have hired a tow service, they winch the shack up on their flatbed truck.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Yup, rent a flatbed car trailer. They usually have a winch built in and moveable flip down ramps. Perfect.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2018, 03:25 PM »
You should be able to get it to and from the lake with a good 2 place snowmobile trailer. Winch it on the trailer or use a come along, taking it off, tilt the bed, slide it off as someone drives out from under it with the trailer. Just make sure the ice is thick enough and safe. Every year someone drops a shack through the ice trying to get it out too early.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Thats a big one. AAA it.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:19 PM »
I once had a big shack like that. It had an axle run through the 2x10 skids. You remove the tires when you get to the ice, when it's time to go home you throw the tires back on. It was thrown together pretty quick with a light duty axle and a couple fifteen inch tires but it made the shack moderately mobile and you wouldn't have to depend on any one else once you installed the axle. I wouldn't have run it an hours drive down the highway but around town was no problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.