The board sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2-line lake guys  (Read 1074 times)

Offline PerryABean

• IceShanty Rookie
2-line lake guys
« on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:24 AM »
How many of you guys predominantly fishing 2-line lakes have abandoned tip ups? Do you strictly jig now or do you do a combo of both jigging and one tip up? Do you bring the mrs so you have three tip ups and a jigging rod? Just curious how everyone is doing it these days.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2-line lake guys
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:33 AM »
WI is still 3 lines but I fish MN fairly often and they are limited to 2. I primarily target pan fish so I usually jig with one and throw in a tip-down or dead-stick with the other. If I'm in an area where walleye or pike are likely I'll still throw a tip up in instead of the tip down. It is definitely more convenient being able to fish 3 lines though lol.
Da Pack!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:47 AM »
Thereís only a handful of lakes here that have a two line restriction for ice fishing, otherwise itís 5 lines. When Iím fishing by myself, I donít usually set any tip ups unless thereís trout or salmon (we do have pike in some places, they are an invasive species here in Maine). Even then, Iíll usually only set one or two out while Iím jigging in the area nearby.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2018, 10:12 AM »
I fish 2 trap lakes fairly often, but often times there are at least one or two other people with me so we set up tip ups, and some of us Jig. I will always bring tip ups for a couple different scenarios.

1. while i'm making lunch, tying on jigs or drilling holes to jig, i set up 2 tip ups.
2. If i'm going for shallow water species like rainbows, I like to use tip ups ( I know people jig for them)
3. if the weather is brutal and i'm in a shelter i'll set one up in my line of site to cover some water since I may not be moving much and then jig in the hut.
4. If it's a light bite and the tip up is producing more than jigging (happens a lot with white perch)

For the most part when i'm by myself I like to drill my first 2 holes and set tip ups. Then I will drill the rest of my 20+ holes to hole hop and jig. If i'm lucky, I'll have tip ups go off as i'm drilling my area. After i'm done drilling and setting up i'll stick my flasher down the holes and see which ones look best to start. i'll remove one tip up and start jigging and depending on how the tip ups were doing while setting up, i'll either move it or keep it.
Tight Lines!

Offline doctorgee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I knew it was wrong, I did it anyway" -Gonzo
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2018, 12:56 PM »
I usually have a rattle reel in the shanty and a jig stick going somewhere else. If I am lazy or cooking or just tired of jigging on a slow day or something then I will set up a tip up.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2018, 02:07 PM »
I'll get to my spot, then set one trap, then start jigging. If I'm not getting anything jigging, I'll move around the trap. If I'm not getting anything around either, I'll move the trap and repeat the process.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2018, 02:43 PM »
By myself one jig one trap with the wifey 2 jigging and 2 traps out.

Offline FG Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2018, 05:22 PM »
If I were on a 2-hole lake, it would be one jigging, and one deadstick.  If the Mrs. were with me, same for each of us.  Around here, it's mostly 5 each, sometimes 1, but never 2 that I can think of.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2018, 07:03 PM »
It all depends on your MO for the day. If your hole hopping chasing white perch, go light and leave them at home.

If your going to target trout definitely bring tip ups. Bassin212 described what I would consider a very solid approach to 2 trap lakes.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2018, 08:42 PM »
First off it's hard to give a great answer without knowing what fish you are targeting. My style for a two rig lake targeting walleye is a jig rod and a quick tip deadstick rod with a minnow. The rod has a small split shot, a tiny treble and a minnow. It sits on a 5 gallon pail that has a foam bait bucket inside it. I get to a spot and drill 2 holes. One where I am sitting and one in a strait line of site a couple feet away. I drop the dead stick to the bottom and reel up a few inches to a couple feet and close the bail. I jig and keep the rod tip in my peripheral, but I don't stress over it. The soft tip on the rod allows for a bit of reaction time on my end. If nothing is showing up on the flasher I reel the rig in and set the minnow in the bait cooler on the hook still and transport with the rod layed across the top of the pail. Get to the next, two holes, drop to bottom, reel up a foot, set down and start jigging in my other hole.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2018, 08:47 PM »
If its a place that has Pike I'll almost always hang out one of my Beaver Dams and jig for pans or trout with the other.  If its only trout I might jig two lines or set up a jaw jacker on one and jig the other.  If its just pans Ill jig both or maybe deadstick one.  If its Lakers I will actively jig both.  I'm not ambidextrous but can still get a hook set and 2 or 3 cranks in with either hand quickly enough where I don't lose many fish. 

Offline Lv2hunt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Jaw jackets are definatly the way to go I usually leave my tip ups at home and set one jacker with a smelt and jig other holes if quiet easy to swap around and pack up and hole jump.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Jaw jackets are definatly the way to go I usually leave my tip ups at home and set one jacker with a smelt and jig other holes if quiet easy to swap around and pack up and hole jump.

I do the same

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2018, 07:25 PM »

Whatís the advantage of a jaw jacker over a tip up? Never used one...

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Whatís the advantage of a jaw jacker over a tip up? Never used one...
They set the hook for you with a jig rod and you reel it in. just set the drag loose enough to let the fish run if need be. For light biting fish or ones that spit and run, itíll set the hook once the line is pulled on, which also results in less gut hooked fish too. Personally I use a different device (HT ice rigger, also similar are the ifish pro) that holds the rod with the bail open, and a flag that trips when the line is being taken. Just pick up the rod, close the bail and set the hook when ready.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2018, 10:20 PM »
The jackers are effective...here for trout they work great.
 I grew up using tip ups in the Midwest in the 60ís and like to collect and refurb em.  Lucky to soak em 5-6 times a year.  Nostalgic.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2018, 04:06 AM »
Usually jigging with one and a jaw jacker out . Most of the time its Me,my wife and youngest son (12yr) and I'll set out 3 jaw jackers because he loves them things lol
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline PerryABean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Alright It looks like Im in the market for a Jawjacker

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Alright It looks like Im in the market for a Jawjacker

Looks like they are hard to find (I looked and many retailers say ďunavailableĒ)
I would certainly try one....

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Looks like they are hard to find (I looked and many retailers say ďunavailableĒ)

Build something similar. Very easy and cheap. You tube.
Just add water.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2018, 12:16 PM »
I bought some automatic fisherman's that basically work the same way.
Tight Lines!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2018, 12:58 PM »

Cabelas usually has them around Black Friday. Thatís when I got mine last year. Make sure you are using an appropriate pole for them that wonít explode. I have 2 ugly sticks and they work great, and the price is reasonable.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2018, 05:52 PM »
Check with Aj, he usually has a couple early. Cabelas now has free shipping to Bass Pro. November is when I got mine from Cabelas.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:51 AM »
I didn't realize they have  become hard to find , but I couldn't find any of them on my search either.
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline PerryABean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2018, 07:58 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=236188.0

I found another thread on the topic of choosing the right rod for the jaw jacker. Also it seems they are sold out even on the jaw jacker website, perhaps they are coming out with a new design of some kind?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2018, 09:13 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=236188.0

I found another thread on the topic of choosing the right rod for the jaw jacker. Also it seems they are sold out even on the jaw jacker website, perhaps they are coming out with a new design of some kind?

I remember the same thing last year when I looked for them. They didnít have any in stock until the end of the month. I would suspect itís due to placing rilling over inventory for open water to ice fishing.

As other have suggested you can make your own very easily, but I like how light and compact the JJís are.

Offline PerryABean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Anybody using the Salmon bear trap? they seem to have some in stock

http://aksalmonbear.com/

Offline FG Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 16, 2018, 01:47 PM »

This will be my second season playing around with one.   Haven't caught much on it, because it seems like every time a fish trips it, I'm reeling in another fish on the other side of the spread!  (hard life)   :)

So far, I like it a lot. I'm probably going to modify it by drilling a hole somewhere to anchor it down with something.  I chose it over the others because I fish with 53" rods and I didn't want to double them over so tight all the time.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 16, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Having the rod always bent and loaded like that is the reason I didnít go with jaw jackers, that and I prefer to set the hook myself. The Ice riggers I use just hold the rod and has a clip to the line to trip a flag. Others like the Ifish pro and finicky foolers do the same thing.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 16, 2018, 02:55 PM »

http://aksalmonbear.com/

Haven't tried one but after seeing this one work without leaving the rod loaded all the time is a huge plus in my opinion... I think I'll be trying one out this winter... Thanks for finding these and putting up the link...

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.