Author Topic: Best Chair for ice fishing  (Read 20485 times)

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Chair for ice fishing
« Reply #120 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:04 PM »
I picked up the Harbor Freight directors chair last year and have not regretted the purchase.  They are extremely light for their strength. This chair easily holds my 260 lbs.
Third year on mine! Definitely impressed.

(By the way, I’m in my 70’s, and I can say with certainty, 3-legged stools are PURE EVIL!!!!)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #121 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Love my HF directors chair! Much more comfortable than a folding camping chair in my opinion, no sagging seat and much easier to get out of. Spent 6-7 hours at a time sitting in mine sturgeon spearing last February with no issues.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #123 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:42 PM »
I have 2 of these chairs and they are great.

I bought a couple of these last year after your recommendation.

Excellent Imho

WS

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #124 on: Dec 13, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Love my HF directors chair! Much more comfortable than a folding camping chair in my opinion, no sagging seat and much easier to get out of. Spent 6-7 hours at a time sitting in mine sturgeon spearing last February with no issues.

They are even nicer with an added seat cushion.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Dec 13, 2020, 02:09 PM »
Oh yeah, I have a dark green thermaseat cushion I always sit on. It's about 1.5" thick and makes quite the difference. Even makes the mesh Eskimo seat in my Evo 1iT more comfortable than it already js.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Dec 13, 2020, 02:10 PM »
I looked at these chairs and they look nice. I personally wouldn’t go that route and it’s because I fish a different set up. Does anyone know how heavy these chairs are? I was seeing these in the price 175 ish, does that sound right?
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #127 on: Dec 13, 2020, 02:19 PM »
What chair do you mean dmd? Harbor freight are extremely lightweight and made of aluminum.
They cost $29.99 msrp

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Dec 13, 2020, 02:48 PM »
If he’s referring to the “blind chairs”, they are cumbersome and heavy. I used one a few times, and prefer the Harbor Freight aluminum folding chair.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #129 on: Dec 13, 2020, 02:49 PM »
My issue is that I fish out of a Frabill Recon and most of these chairs won't leave much room for a anything else. And I won't use a three legged chair. Been there and done that!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #130 on: Dec 13, 2020, 03:13 PM »
My issue is that I fish out of a Frabill Recon and most of these chairs won't leave much room for a anything else. And I won't use a three legged chair. Been there and done that!

I have the HT sports chair for my Frrabil Adventurer ..cousin to the Trekker/Aegis ..which came with tri pod seats Trophy angler makes a similar chair

https://www.trophyoutdoorproducts.com/product-page/4-season-chair
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #131 on: Dec 13, 2020, 03:17 PM »
15% off everything at harbor freight today only.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Dec 13, 2020, 04:45 PM »
Check out Prospector on YouTube. He brings his big LazyBoy.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Dec 13, 2020, 06:53 PM »
What chair do you mean dmd? Harbor freight are extremely lightweight and made of aluminum.
They cost $29.99 msrp

I was referring to the crazy lazy boy chair at the start of the post... not the harbor freight chair. I should have specified.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Dec 13, 2020, 07:08 PM »
I have the HT sports chair for my Frrabil Adventurer ..cousin to the Trekker/Aegis ..which came with tri pod seats Trophy angler makes a similar chair

https://www.trophyoutdoorproducts.com/product-page/4-season-chair

I have a HT sports chair also and have used it from time to time. I find it a bit unsteady if I lean back.

Offline seano

• IceShanty Rookie
  • if you can read this your fishing too close
« Reply #135 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:42 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-Freestyle-Portable-Folding/dp/B077J9N283

check these out...you can rock in, very comfy and you can jig with your legs or lean forward easily, might be expensive to normal people but we are icefisherman!
im surrounded by ice holes

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #136 on: Dec 15, 2020, 10:23 AM »

check these out...you can rock in, very comfy and you can jig with your legs or lean forward easily, might be expensive to normal people but we are icefisherman!

That style the "Freestyle" ..looks better then the other versions as it more of a directors style chair ...while the others tend to be more of a camping chair ..which are horrible for jigging ..sit to far back ..great for camping and sitting otherwise ..you could add a rod holder and add jigging motion to your deadstick hole in you Hub set up.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Dec 15, 2020, 03:34 PM »
That style the "Freestyle" ..looks better then the other versions as it more of a directors style chair ...while the others tend to be more of a camping chair ..which are horrible for jigging ..sit to far back ..great for camping and sitting otherwise ..you could add a rod holder and add jigging motion to your deadstick hole in you Hub set up.

12 pounds, fairly heavy to lug around

Offline MNicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Jan 12, 2021, 03:06 PM »

I have a couple of these, and used it fishing out of a wheel house.  Very comfortable! But they do take up quite a bit of floor space, so make sure you have the room.  Probably would work great in a hub.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Jan 12, 2021, 03:14 PM »
I'm also a fan of the Eskimo 3 leg stool/chair with a back.  Much easier to get out of than regular camp chairs and a lot smaller to pack in than a directors chair.

https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-27613-Folding-Ice-Chair/dp/B072PVWXW4
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Jan 12, 2021, 03:25 PM »
I use a 7 gallon bucket with a twist on lid. Much taller than a basic 5 gallon bucket and very comfortable with the wide top. I cut a 5" diameter hole in the lid to slide fish in. I put my poles and ice scoop in the bucket too.

I think I'm going on 13 years with that bucket. It sounds silly but I really cherish it. It's one of the few things for ice fishing that I've had this long. Everything else has been upgraded or replaced. People always ask me about it and where I got it. Got it for free, it was an old chlorine bucket for chlorine pucks for pools. It's starting to show its age a little bit due to the UV. I've probably had several thousand fish in that bucket over the years. Lots of good memories and limits of fish.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #141 on: Jan 12, 2021, 05:01 PM »
Reading the above post by hole_hopper 454 got me to thinking that over the years as I have tried different chairs, I always come back to a plastic bucket. Last year I bought a Scheels/Clam 6 gallon bucket and really like it. Up until then I used a 5 gallon with a padded swivel seat. I tried a 7 gallon that was given to me but it was too tall. The lid on my 6 gallon has some padding and my back doesn't seem to bother me. Which at my age is a blessing. Unfortunately the swivel padded lid doesn't fit so I might look for one that does.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #142 on: Jan 12, 2021, 05:14 PM »
Reading the above post by hole_hopper 454 got me to thinking that over the years as I have tried different chairs, I always come back to a plastic bucket. Last year I bought a Scheels/Clam 6 gallon bucket and really like it. Up until then I used a 5 gallon with a padded swivel seat. I tried a 7 gallon that was given to me but it was too tall. The lid on my 6 gallon has some padding and my back doesn't seem to bother me. Which at my age is a blessing. Unfortunately the swivel padded lid doesn't fit so I might look for one that does.

The 6 and 7 gallon buckets are good, but it is hard to deny that having something to lean back on is even better!  But the biggest problem I have with buckets is that I end up putting poles and other stuff in them which end up getting in the way when it comes time for sitting. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:35 AM »
I'm also a fan of the Eskimo 3 leg stool/chair with a back.  Much easier to get out of than regular camp chairs and a lot smaller to pack in than a directors chair.

https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-27613-Folding-Ice-Chair/dp/B072PVWXW4

aaah----the deluxe nutbuster!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #144 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:44 AM »

aaah----the deluxe nutbuster!!

It seems like it would be, but it's pretty comfortable.  Course I don't use it in the summer when it is warm so...

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:58 AM »
Those three legged chairs make me sore just looking at them.

Offline MNicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Jan 15, 2021, 09:13 AM »
How comfortable are the mesh seats from Otter?  I sat in both the Eskimo Wide One and the Otter Hideout, but didn't really pay attention to which one was more comfortable.

I do remember the Eskimo being pretty comfortable, and the Otter being wobbly.

I'm trying to find replacements for my heavy Frabill (but comfortable) boat seats to cut down on weight.

Unfortunately, I am only able to find the Otter mesh seats right now; the Eskimo Versa ones are out of stock everywhere.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:13 AM »
Here's my opinion.
I love the Eskimo 3 legged chairs.
They are very comfortable for me and put me in a good fishing position.
My disabled buddy with his messed up back loves them as well.
Personally can't stand those directors chairs for ice fishing. Great around a campfire but totally wrong position for ice fishing or you end up hunched over in the edge of the chair.
Then your back hurts from hunching over and not using the backrest.
Same thing with the old folding camp chair.
Plus those camp chairs are not easy to get out of quickly.
The back rest on the Eskimo chair is comfy and your in a good fishing position over your hole.
Mine is plenty sturdy enough for my 250#.
To each his own but that's my opinion.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #148 on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:29 AM »
I use this one from CGI and like it.  Folds up nice.  Has a table.  Bait puck fits nicely in the cup holder.  It has a higher back than the HF chair, which I like being that I'm tall and have some lower back issues.

It's also $10 off on Amazon right now!

https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-Slim-Fold-Directors-Chair/dp/B00HKCXVR0/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=GCI+Camping+Chairs&qid=1610727980&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-8
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Jan 15, 2021, 11:50 AM »
Many of you are referring to the directors chair from Cabelas, Coleman, Trophy Ridge, which is the same style as the Harbor Freight one, except you are probably paying twice as much for yours.  I have tried many and the HF chair is great.  I bought 3 of the Eskimo 3 legged chairs when I bought my 949i and that was a mistake.... 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.