The board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Higgins Lake Smelt  (Read 224 times)

Offline Hoserman

• IceShanty Rookie
Higgins Lake Smelt
« on: Sep 29, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Anyone else here fish Smelt on Higgins Lake? I have done it off and on, but last year we started doing it a lot more. Where we are fishing has become a small city at night with an strange green glow to the ice around the shanty's. We did quite well with our catches that turned into some great meals. Anyway, it would be great to meet someone from the forum out there this year.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Higgins Lake Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2018, 05:52 AM »
May make it up there sometime this winter. Gull Lake down here to the south has been pretty dismal the last couple of years and did try Green Lake in Interlochen last winter with not much success either. I have a buddy who lives in Grayling and we have talked about going to Higgins so we'll see...weather permitting  :-\
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2018, 11:48 AM »
I have never tried Higgins but might give it a go this year as it is a lot closer after the move.  Smelt on Green last year was not good from all the reports I got a few days of good fishing but few and far between.  Did ok on Crystal compared to most I checked with but there too was a fairy slow off year and then there was also the crash at Gull.  Never fished there just kept heading north with all the bad reports, hope they rebound but sounds like it will take a few years.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2018, 10:50 AM »
I have never tried Higgins but might give it a go this year as it is a lot closer after the move.  Smelt on Green last year was not good from all the reports I got a few days of good fishing but few and far between.  Did ok on Crystal compared to most I checked with but there too was a fairy slow off year and then there was also the crash at Gull.  Never fished there just kept heading north with all the bad reports, hope they rebound but sounds like it will take a few years.

I was there during one of those times  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Hoserman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:29 AM »
We also caught quite a few Cisco's, but after frying some up they are a little on the soft side for me. This year what ever Cisco's I catch will go right in the smoker.  ;)
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:48 AM »
I have had cisco from Traverse Bay and was not really impressed frying it.  I have heard Smoking and Canning it are good ways to process it.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.