Author Topic: Anyone use the Clam hand auger?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone use the Clam hand auger?
« on: Aug 14, 2018, 12:00 PM »
After some calling and research the Clam auger looks just like the Fin bore it has no support bars on the bottom to bind at hole breakthrough.Any one use one? At 80 bucks it looks better in price than some and it takes Lazer blades easy to buy.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone use the Clam hand auger?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2018, 12:56 PM »
After some calling and research the Clam auger looks just like the Fin bore it has no support bars on the bottom to bind at hole breakthrough.Any one use one? At 80 bucks it looks better in price than some and it takes Lazer blades easy to buy.

If your talking about the 6” clam hand auger it will bind.  I have first hand experience with it.  The nice things is it has a center point.  At least mines did as it was part of my old clam plate kit.

The only ones that won’t bind is a Nils, Mora Nova/Strikemaster Lazer Synthetic.  And Kdrill.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2018, 02:06 PM »
I also have the 6 inch hand Clam auger and it binds right before breaking thru....

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Thank guys! I believe I will be going nils Every time I try to save money I kick myself later.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Not a big fan of Clam anything...over priced and better stuff out there. More show than go in my opinion. Sorry.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2018, 09:14 PM »
For $80 I’d think you’re better off just getting a Lazer as it’ll come with the good blades. Probably can shop around and find one for $80 I’d think? I have an older 6” I got from my grandpa that has the screw on handle, that I unfortunately can’t use on my drill. (Got a 6” mora that works great and is a breeze to sharpen on stones/ceramic stones) It doesn’t have the breaker bars on it, so I’m not sure if the new ones do or not.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2018, 10:08 PM »
For $80 I’d think you’re better off just getting a Lazer as it’ll come with the good blades. Probably can shop around and find one for $80 I’d think? I have an older 6” I got from my grandpa that has the screw on handle, that I unfortunately can’t use on my drill. (Got a 6” mora that works great and is a breeze to sharpen on stones/ceramic stones) It doesn’t have the breaker bars on it, so I’m not sure if the new ones do or not.

I don't think the 6in have breaker bars. Only the 7-8in do I believe. Also keep your eyes peeled on eBay. I think a guy makes a small run every season of an adaptor for the screw on handle so you can put a drill on it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:28 PM »
Sent you a private message about a auger for sale mrpike1973 hope this auger is what your looking for at half price of the lazer auger $59.99

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:58 PM »
Just so every one is aware of it there are two versions of the Clam hand auger. the one that has the power point on it is part of the drill plate kit. the other one is just the blades and no power point. if you want the power point then you need to buy the full kit and not just the auger. as for how they work they are like any other auger just don't bet them on the ice and they will get the job done.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2018, 12:44 PM »
I got my Clam auger for $25 shipped ($15) from store.clamoutdoors.com .... For the price I'm happy...

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2018, 08:53 AM »
I got my Clam auger for $25 shipped ($15) from store.clamoutdoors.com .... For the price I'm happy...

was it the light blue colored mora type auger. if so that was the ones we were selling though will call for the $15.00 each. if it happened to be a black color lazer style auger you got a good deal as they are normally more then that.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2018, 09:28 AM »
it was light blue.  I also have a Finbore 8", so I wanted a 6 also... Figured for the price I couldn't go wrong.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2018, 12:17 PM »
This one's not a bad deal it a sales demo model for 59.99 I think there is more then 10 avaible I though there was one avaible  is why I pm'ed you.. any how eskimo sliver tip in a 6 inch is just as well made as a lazer auger.. at half the price.. here's the link to them for $59.99 for the eskimo 1600 auger.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/16000-ESKIMO-ICE-FISHING-6-INCH-CURVED-SILVERTIP-HAND-AUGER-SALES-MODEL/352429239957?epid=21011369280&hash=item520e6b6e95:g:rFUAAOxyffZSZWas:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!48165!US!-1

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Who the heck uses a HAND Auger any more? ???

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Who the heck uses a HAND Auger any more? ???

(Image removed from quote.)

That's what the op is buying the hand auger for..

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2018, 03:12 PM »

That's what the op is buying the hand auger for..

Cant tell from the posts???
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Cant tell from the posts???

He has a lot of posts on augers, drills, clam plates, etc all seprate if you been on here reading them you could put two and two together.. but it is hard with all the posts..  there's like ten different threads with 50 post total.  one post about hand augers cause he looking for the hand auger part to hook to a cordless drill.. he seprated the post to much should have asked questions under one main topic that would have help you and others out.. no biggie though were all here just to help out you know how that goes..

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 17, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Yep a apologize for that. Sometimes if you put to much under one topic it gets to be a mess but rest assured all I really have learned a lot on here. I will try not to ask anymore on augers I just for some reason have problems with them all the time. Thank goodness I don't have a power auger anymore I was ready to quit ice fishing all together. I was that guy with the new auger pull and pull forever no start until someone out of desperation would come over and drill me a hole ;D It was embarrassing. Again sorry to ask so many questions I just know a lot of people have used a lot of different ones on here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.