The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jawjackers for Kokanee  (Read 577 times)

Offline RuralMT

• IceShanty Rookie
Jawjackers for Kokanee
« on: Mar 13, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Good afternoon all.  I was wondering if anyone has had much luck (or have even tried for that matter) using jawjackers on kokanee?  I've definitely noticed in my two seasons on the hardwater that kokanee are a curious fish and react to a steady jigging motion.  However, unless the bite is on it seems like I get most of my strikes on the pause immediately following a half dozen jigging motions.  I'd like to try setting out a deadstick to be more productive but haven't had much luck hooking fish on a rod placed in a holder; by the time I react and pick up the rod, they seem to have already spit it.  Am I wasting my time deadsticking for kokanee?  If not, are jawjackers sensitive enough to detect their light bite?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • TēM HPē FSh
Re: Jawjackers for Kokanee
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2018, 06:38 PM »
Id use a very slow rod other wise Id think it would pull the hook out of them?

Offline RuralMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Id use a very slow rod other wise Id think it would pull the hook out of them?

I'm glad I asked.  I've never used one and didn't know they had a hard hookset.  Reckon the ultralight rod I'm using to jig is still too stiff?  I bought an HT ultralight this season and am thrilled I did.  It's bite detection significantly cut the time needed for me to limit out...I shudder to think about all the micro bites I missed on my Berkley $25 special. 

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2018, 07:49 PM »
I had a jawjacker set up with a jig and meal worm on it for trout.  It was set up about 15' from where I was jigging Kokanee.  We had a school of Kokanee come through about 8' down and I ended up getting one on the jawjacker.  It was hooked though the gills so it must've just brushed it.  I would imagine if you used the same presentation at the same level you are jigging you would probably do pretty good.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2018, 09:59 PM »
Or the ultra light may be the ticket?

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2018, 12:32 AM »
They seemed to work pretty good for this group!   ;D. Best of luck!  :thumbsup:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ypupaa7FFk
   Boss Spoons

Offline RuralMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies fellas.  I suppose the best way for me to find out is to just try it for myself!  Although that video seems to provide all the evidence I need...only problem is the kokanee they're catching look to be about 4-5" larger than the 8-10" fish I'm harvesting in Dickey Lake. 

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2018, 11:33 AM »
I have caught kokes on jackers but only within 4-6' foot radius of my jigging pole. I like to use a light or medium light rod and once I have the school on my jigging presentation, I  will occasionally put that rod in a jacker and let it set the hook for me for the really light biting fish that are difficult to hook by hand. This works well and doesn't rip the mouths like you might think. BTW thes are all 7-10" inch dinks that I have  caught. Good luck.

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:25 PM »
I have caught kokes on jackers but only within 4-6' foot radius of my jigging pole.
I have seen this quite a bit my self for trout and koks.
I think they like the movement and will hit a dead stick that is close
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline RuralMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2018, 12:51 PM »
I saw this homemade jawjacker (he calls it a mousejacker) on the Idaho forum and thought it was worth sharing.  For you DIY'ers out there, this seems to be an an easy and economical alternative to the actual jawjacker.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=358274.0

Offline Kipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2018, 08:40 PM »
Seems like jawjackers would miss a lot of the light bites.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.