The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Morning or Evening for Salmon  (Read 532 times)

Offline RuralMT

• IceShanty Rookie
Morning or Evening for Salmon
« on: Mar 01, 2018, 03:39 PM »
A while back, I commented on a post regarding how slow salmon fishing was back in early February, despite the daily crowd that targeted them on a nearby lake.  At the time, I had only tried them in the late afternoon-sunset hours and marked 2-3 schools in about 10 attempts.  However, feeling satisfied with my perch supply, I've been devoting my morning-outings to salmon and have had remarkably better success targeting them from early morning to early afternoon.  I realize it may vary lake to lake or for any number of other reasons, but when do you lot have better luck, closer to sunrise or sunset?

Edit: and by salmon, I'm referring to kokanee that average 9-11" (roughly estimated)

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Morning or Evening for Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2018, 05:25 PM »
Before sunrise has been my go to

Offline Ehfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I've always had my best luck from 7-10 in the morning. It seems like after 10 the bite dies.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2018, 10:53 AM »
We fish for landlocked Atlantic salmon where I live, but I believe in general that all salmon eyes function in about the same way. That being said our best time to fish for them is always daybreak, and in the afternoon right before dusk. Mornings generally are always better.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2018, 08:04 AM »
I've always had  luck very early till about 10 am at the latest.
Never luck in the evenings.
If you really want to have fun, go for an all nighter. Many lakes around here have an excellent night bite.
We set up about 1/2 hour before dark and put the lights out. 10:30 till just before midnight.
Have your catch back at your truck at or just before midnight, then go back out, as 12:01 is a new day with a new limit :)
I dont know why some lakes are hot at night and some are not. Lake 5 ( & others) is awesome at night,
Ashley has sucked for me at night
Get bit!

Offline Kfraley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:16 PM »
how is Georgetown at night?

Offline RuralMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:22 PM »
Georgetown at night is why I started this thread to begin with.  I read an older thread in which it was stated that night-fishing on Georgetown isn't worth your time.  However, there was an article in the Missoulian a while back that featured night-fishing on Mary Ronan and how productive it was. 

Good to know about Lake 5 being productive...I haven't tried it out up here on Dickey Lake, but have heard of folks at least attempting it.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.