This board sponsored in part by

Author Topic: Cleaning Fish How much Salt?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Cleaning Fish How much Salt?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2018, 04:56 AM »

For my table I toss bigger fish back , perch and small eyes and stream trout don’t really need salt soaking IMO
And after filleted  a really good rinse let stand a while then to the vac machine ,
  I use to freeze in water which works well but takes up extra room , i stock up on winter perch to carry me through the summer , and they taste just fine , but what ever your happy with carry on ladies and gentlemen
Fish on and tite lines

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:26 AM »
I don't use salt, just water.  And, soaking them overnight, not only makes them whiter because of all the blood leaving the meat, they are firmer, as well.  I use to just rinse mine like you.  However, after a friend told me to soak them overnight, I will never just rinse them again.  It is amazing how much blood is still in the meat if you just rinse them.  The water in the morning, after a soak is tinged, with red.  Try soaking in just water over night and you will do it forever!  Just a tip for the guys who just rinse.  Again, I don't think you need to add salt to the water.  Just a good all night soaking.

Since when was blood in any meat a bad thing? All meat has blood in it. Now I'm not talking about massive blood clotty messes. Just infused blood . Did you ever consider , blood may be inherent in the taste of steaks, chops foul or even fish. Again, I mention this knowing we hang our red meats and poultry to drain the blood, but surely you must agree the blood that makes up the circulatory systems of all meat is never totally removed prior to eating.

Further, I will mention the only time I brine my perch is to make "poor man's shrimp" . You will note if you have ever done so, prolonged brining will start to curl these smaller fillets. Suggesting to me , you are actually pre cooking the fish with the salt additive. Again. one expects this salt ratio of the perch prepared in this method along with the tangy taste of the cocktail sauce. Not so with a fish fry or broiled fish in which case one can add salt and seasonings to one's individual preference.

Yup, just call me blood thirsty Boggey.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • TēM HīPē F˙Sh
« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Weird.... I guess I’m doing some thing wrong. Have never seen blood in any muscle tissue of fish or game...

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 07, 2018, 09:14 AM »
My response was merely a statement about how "I" believe those who soak with salt in the water, will get the same result if they just soaked their fish in water, minus the salt!  And, I believe you will also see that smaller fillets "curl" from a lengthy soak, not from the salt.  Therefore, "I" believe both reactions, are from the soaking, not the solution!  But, that's just "my" two cents, I'll let everyone else come to their own conclusion.  If you can get the same results while omitting the salt, why not do it?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2018, 10:46 AM »
I like to use about a pound of salt to a quart of water ,that way my lips are so tight I squeeze the blood out

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 08, 2018, 02:25 AM »
Yo Trap,

I bet you do.  ;D ;D ;D :nono: :nono: :nono:

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline SYCLONE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:18 AM »
I have never use salt water but on catfish I use Old bay and milk. Cut fish into chunks and soak over night. Fry up fish nuggets the next day in favorite breading. Amazing.
Syclone
Auburn, NY
Happiness is a wind sprint to a hole and seeing line rip of a tip-up.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:40 AM »
 I can't imagine a need to expel anymore blood from a perch or bluegill fillet, and I don't think I would want them firmer. I fillet boneless, take the time to rinse each fillet by hand. Then freeze in a ziplock with water. I may consider soaking catfish or if I got into a bunch of bigger crappie, but otherwise I can't see ever soaking my fish.

Offline fishfetcher71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 08, 2018, 01:15 PM »
i never soak.  rinse in clear water, pat dry, and vaccum pack.  boneless,skinless fillets.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Sometimes I use  a little salt on bigger bullheads but not much...and that's in a big pan full a water for a few minutes

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.