Author Topic: Ice Report  (Read 11413 times)

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

Ice Report
« on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:16 AM »
How was the Ice and conditions wherever you fished this weekend. Ossipee lake, Winni, southern lakes?

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Ice Report
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:55 AM »
I am actually wondering what the wolfeboro area is looking like my self. PM if need be.
Just add water.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:58 AM »
I fished a pond in So. NH on saturday and after looking at this weeks weather report I would be willing to bet that that said pond will be unfishable thru the ice by weeks end..The ice on Saturday was very grainy and only 10" at the most, edges were fading fast..

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:04 AM »
it looks like it gets below freezing everynight in the northern areas

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:11 AM »
 I fished a place in Western NH this past Saturday. The edges were unsafe in many spots, but once I got on I was standing on 15" of ice, with the top 2" or so of sugary, granular ice. On my way there, I was amazed to spot bobhouses still on the ice on a few backwaters and lakes, but for all I know, they were in the process of being pulled.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Wakefield area:  fished on 18” Thursday and Friday
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Taylor river in hampton has 9 inches in the middle and wet edges, sketchy

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Tried fishing some of my local spots in the Nashua area.. didn’t even bother. No edges for 5-6’ and gray/ awful looking ice
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:32 AM »
what places, try to include names even if unfishable, will help guys plan for next weekend

Offline ChinaCatSunflower

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Checked Bellamy near Dover yesterday.  Edges were open but I walked out on and it seemed solid.  There were no other people there and I was solo so decided not to take any chances.  There was at least 12" there weekend  before.

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Plenty of ice on Alton Bay however, the ramp at F&G is going quick as the river current is opening things up.
The other ramp is getting sketchy near the bottom from all the vehicles going on and off.
Life is good!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2018, 02:53 PM »
Cut 21" on winni, between Alton and Wolfeboro area Sunday. 
Ice is not good condition though. Many big open holes....scary. Took the wheeler out, and even though there's alot of ice once you get away from shore, I can tell you unless we get some cold weather, that was the last trip with that. I'll be on foot from now on. Real sketchy ride back, with the snow yesterday, made it super hard to see those holes.
All I could think of was Roccus's quote on his profile..." A man's gotta know his limitations"
All that being said, still plenty ice to get some fishing in for a couple weeks at least, just gotta be smart about it.

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Ice is not good condition though. Many big open holes....scary. Took the wheeler out, and even though there's alot of ice once you get away from shore, I can tell you unless we get some cold weather, that was the last trip with that. I'll be on foot from now on. Real sketchy ride back, with the snow yesterday, made it super hard to see those holes.
All I could think of was Roccus's quote on his profile..." A man's gotta know his limitations"
All that being said, still plenty ice to get some fishing in for a couple weeks at least, just gotta be smart about it.

This makes me feel a bit better about this weekend. Taking my old man out for his firs NH ice fishing adventure and we will be on foot. Still trying to narrow down some easily accessible spots to set cusk traps and to fish for lakers and perch. I cannot have him walking a mile each way.
Just add water.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Ice looked good on some of the small ponds around Winni ..20 today..bite sucked
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:48 PM »
I fished Ossipee Saturday 16"+ Even the edges were fine. Took the Quad out so had to watch for old holes by the end of the day the surface ice got grainy.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:56 PM »

I'm with him tomorrow. :o

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Fished 20 inches of good ice BUT...I wanted to move down the lake...in fog..with. .hidden holes. .not good..turned around and fished where I've been fishin
No issues. .no scary holes. ..I'll finish with the weeler this week but the impending storm my do I repairable damage...

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2018, 05:35 PM »
I checked out turtletown pond in Concord today, approx 10" of ice, kind of grainy, edges were good except where a snowmobile broke thru at the ramp, I was able to walk on without getting wet at all..

Offline Aknightz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:36 PM »
Fished Stevens Pond in Manchester today. Edges sketch. Wet feet to start the day. 12-14” where I set traps. Ice was grainy. Warm weather this week will certainly end accessibility there. If anyone wants to fish further north this weekend (Thursday, Sunday, Monday) let me know.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:03 AM »
Aknightz How was the fishing at Steven's, I used to ice fish there when I was a kid, before the highway was there..

Offline Aknightz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2018, 05:49 AM »
Aknightz How was the fishing at Steven's, I used to ice fish there when I was a kid, before the highway was there..

I didn’t have any luck. First time on the ice there. I fish there in the summer in my inflatable boat. Pickerel and bass is what I usually catch. I fished at half moon lake in Barnstead on Sunday and that was great I will say (catching and ice wise)

Offline Wooly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Hello All!
      I am in the Jaffrey area and the ice on most of my regular ponds is at the very best sketchy.  I would like to get some fishing in tomorrow during the day and wanted to know if anyone has an idea how far north I will have to go to get safe ice?

If anyone has been out on Pool, Contoocook or Frost in the last few days let me know.  Those are my normal fishing spots, but i'm fairly new to this and I usually go out alone so the idea of going through freaks me out pretty bad...

Any help is appriciated, if I get out tomorrow I'll put up a report.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Please check for yourself - below updates are what I experienced - but conditions seem to be changing fast...

Thursday - 2/22 - 19 Mile Bay - 20+ inches of ice but open water near rocks and drill holes widening - launch was ok - did see vehicles (not recommended)
Saturday - 2/23 - Pleasant Lake Francistown - Edges were gone - new to this lake and didn't bother to attempt to venture out
Saturday - 2/23 - Otter Lake - Greenfield - Ramp was ok - lots of groups on the lake - ice was 10 - 12 inches where I drilled.
Monday - 2/25 -  Nubanusit -  Ramp getting soft - but passable on one side - 10 inches of ice but deteriorating while I was out there.

Round pond in Nashua has open water on the edges - this pond usually looses its edge quickly - I would consider it done for the season.

Be Safe...

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2018, 02:26 PM »
I was on winnisquam this morning Belmont beach area had 6 inches of snow ice then about 10 inches of nice ice caught nothing tho

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:01 PM »
update- taylor river is now unfishable

Offline Lcabait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2018, 03:35 PM »
The lake Sunapee area ponds are at about 18” as of last weekend edges were fine.

Offline Wooly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2018, 05:03 PM »
Checked out frost pond after work today.  A little thin at the edge but only 3-4' out.  After that it was at least 6" thick. 

I'm going to give it a go tomorrow if I don't find a better option.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2018, 05:08 AM »
I fished Massabesic sunday, 4-9" top half grainy white, bottom half still clear.
Edges are getting beat, I fished right by the circle and the rock wall holds a lot of heat. One in my group got a wet foot getting out.
I have a different spot I prefer, out toward Browns Is, but I was told it's already inaccessible. It's a good walk down a trail, pulling a sled on dirt, so I didn't go look.
1 medium pickerel and 1 other flag was all we earned for standing in the snow/rain.

Offline MainelyNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2018, 03:03 PM »
Fished Alton Bay Saturday 2/24 and Sunday 2/25. ~14" from the town docks boat ramp to about 50 yards off Sandy Point. Pulled my bobhouse off yesterday 2/27 with the 4 wheeler and measured 10-12". Lots of holes are opening up into human and even wheeler sized death traps. At this point, I would consider Alton Bay unsafe for ALL vehicles. The ice is just too unpredictable. Be safe out there!
A life lived outdoors is a life well lived.

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:28 PM »
Fished Canaan St Lake 2-27. 15" ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.