The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: YOUR THOUGHTS ON A PIKE DERBY ?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Derbyguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
YOUR THOUGHTS ON A PIKE DERBY ?
« on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:42 AM »
There are some (not all) staff at IF&W that feel that having a derby for Pike may glorify the fish and entice further illegal introduction. What do you think?

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: YOUR THOUGHTS ON A PIKE DERBY ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:49 AM »
There are some (not all) staff at IF&W that feel that having a derby for Pike may glorify the fish and entice further illegal introduction. What do you think?

Tom...
Not if its promoted right...list the positive reasons why it would be beneficial to ALL fisherman..MHO

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2006, 08:14 AM »
tom, i personally think a pike derby wouldnt fly judging by the reaction to the sebago derby this year. anti pike sentiment is a hot topic right now and met with much opposition.i think if they could look past the initial response of promoting an illegally stocked species they should be able to see it as a good way to kill a lot of pike.  :-\  .

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2006, 11:16 AM »
go for it Tom only one way to see if it will fly i dont mind the pike being in sabbattus and it gives those that like to fish them a place to go for them on the other hand it would make it easier for some one to take the pike and relocate  to try and save the pike speacies i have  never fished for them but would go to the derby to help controll them to help keep them from spreading I also think if the ILF&W would pass a law that all pike that you intend to keep had to be deheaded would help Is there a goal for holding a pike derby in mind ?
in god we trust

Offline Derbyguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2006, 03:21 PM »
We have gotten a lot of requests from people in other areas of the State to consider running a Statewide derby every year.
Our main goals are charitable fundraising and trying to be a fisheries management tool at the same time.
There currently is a bill at the legislature that will raise the prize pool limit to $100,000. If we are able to secure the sponsorship to fund a larger pool then we would be better able to consider more options.

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2006, 04:17 PM »
Open season would be cool? A stamp would not.?! Can we sell the meat??? My boat can hold 1 ton?.
                                                                 dad
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline Derbyguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2006, 05:29 PM »
Our sponsors pony up the money & merchandise. Please consider doing business with people that support us. At least thank them if you ever have the opportunity. They are listed on our website.

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:00 PM »
Thank You. Do you call Ghost Busters, or a fisherman???
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline auger_elbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:09 PM »
Our sponsors pony up the money & merchandise. Please consider doing business with people that support us. At least thank them if you ever have the opportunity. They are listed on our website.
Whats the website?
I can't feel my hands...........

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:10 PM »

Offline auger_elbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:26 PM »
Is there a goal for holding a pike derby in mind ?
The million dollar question!  If the tournament was to control pike, WITH proper education it is a viable idea.  There is the fear though the publicity it gets makes it a larger problem than it is or can become.
I can't feel my hands...........

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2006, 07:06 PM »
maybe only hold it on listed pike waters to prevent somebody from thinking they can put them somewhere else to win down the road.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline GrandLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2006, 07:26 PM »
Sebago derby was a pike derby, if you are going to have a statewide derby next year do us a favor and make it a lake trout derby not a pike derby!

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:45 AM »
consider making it a statewide derby with the main goal being tougue, then another catagory for pike

Offline Slowbago01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:16 AM »
Kill all the pike!  Stack em high like cord wood on the ice!

Although landing a large pike is exciting, catching them is no challange.  When was the last time you could catch a brookie using steel leader?  Pike fishing is about as easy setting your trap.  Maybe that's why so many people like to fish for them

The more pike derbies, the merrier. 

If you want to catch pike in every water you fish, then move to Minnesota.

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:26 AM »
State fishing derby???  ::) teams would work? Maine teams verses the world teams. State
wide egg hunt? Many species, or just one.? Point system, or largest fish. Winning team goes to
World fishing team USA ?? Maine sponsors fishing 0Olympics ! Start raising shiners boys, we are all out.
Special rules,conservation minded, use of the dead, ethics. This would be so cool...  dad ;)
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:39 AM »
Although landing a large pike is exciting, catching them is no challange. 

NO CHALLENGE????  Guess Again.  ???

Let's see - we have a great fishery here that a ton of people come to, it keeps the bait dealers open, sporting camps, rental camps, guides, gas stations, stores, etc, etc.  So I guess the best thing to do is kill em.  That makes a lot of sense.  How busy would Sabattus be in the winter if they didn't have pike there?

Don't get away from the origional reason you started the Sebago Derby - to kill togue in Sebago.  I for one hope you keep those mass killing derbies down there.

Offline Slowbago01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:54 AM »
Mike G - your point is well taken, but if you want to start talking about ecomonmics of a region, you might want to think a little larger than just the impact pike fishing on the local economy. 

Given the recent frequency of illegal stockings of pike, how long do we have before the majority of our prized waters are polluted with pike?  What will that mean for all the people whose economic dependence are tied to true game fish - trout and salmon.  Last time I checked there weren't too many "pike guides" or "pike fishing camps" relative to the salmon and trout sorts.

Thus, my suggestion is an attempt to be proactive rather than reactive.

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:15 AM »

Given the recent frequency of illegal stockings of pike, how long do we have before the majority of our prized waters are polluted with pike? 

In many ways, I totally agree with what you just said, but - and this is a big old harry butt - we've had pike here since 1976 according to some records and old people's stories.  This is a part of our fishery now - like it or not.  I've embrassed it a bit more than some, just because I like the fish.  But because so many people fish for pike here and so many people want to come here to fish for them, I don't like the idea of people from other parts of the state telling me we should kill them all.  I don't want to kill them all.  I want them regulated in this area.  It's a trophy fishery that doesn't cost anything to stock.  It's the people who are moving them around that are causing all the problems. For that I don't have an answer.

By the way, this weekend, in the same lake, we caught brown trout, brook trout, smallmouth and pike.  Right now, I think our fishery, with the exception of l.l. salmon is the most diverse and FUN it's been in 20 years. 

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:39 AM »
how did this turn into a pike debate.  I think the amount of ticket sales this year should give you and idea of what the future state tournaments will be like.  Try and keep it in sebago.  or pick certain lakes that have togue in them for a state wide tourny.  togue only.  my 2 cents. 

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:45 AM »
how did this turn into a pike debate. 
You are right it shouldn't be a pike debate, but the title is "thoughts on a pike derby".
I'm with you - togue only.  On Sebago.

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:51 AM »
If the derby was going to go statewide again, I would like there to be a decision concerning whether or not it was going statewide 3 weeks in advance.(If the lake is not fishable by the first week in February, it's likely not going to be safe for 10,000 people to fish on in 3 weeks.  If by some chance it is.....oh well.) As far as prizes are concerned, I would personally like to see the top prize go strictly to a togue with 2 & 3 open to anything.  I would also like to see yellow perch and crappie categories disappear, while including brook trout or splake, and cusk categories.  Second and third place prizes for all fish categories would be nice as well, even if the prizes were small, like a coupon for a free derby ticket the following year.
Just my thoughts.

Offline tougeslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:54 AM »
if pike fishing is so easy why havent i caught one yet fished the big pike lakes in the state and havent caught one yet.   :%$#!:
Let the dog run or the reels run?  Winters toughest dilemma!

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:54 AM »
why not 2 derby's one on sabago for togue and one pike derby.

Offline GrandLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2006, 10:05 AM »
ifishi, that is a good idea, keep the sebago derby a touge one even if it does go statewide, with the top three prizes going to touge and have pike and muskie be a seperate catagory, then have a statewide pike derby with touge being in the seperate catagory, this would do the lake's in Maine alot of good, some of the lakes that have to many touge could be helped and dead pike would do many lakes a whole bunch of good, just imagine how much it take's to keep a 20 pound pike full, a ton of bait fish, game fish, whatever he can sink his razor's into.

Offline Slowbago01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Togueslayer - I can't answer that question, sounds like something for Dr Phil.

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:47 AM »
ifishi

I think that is a great idea, however I do have a hard time promoting a tournament for those freshwater alligators.  The last thing we want to do is to have some southern state redneck get the wrong impression and promote illegal stocking in another pond because he is too lazy to drive north.  Next thing you know some idiot will throw a couple in otter pond.
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:26 PM »
back to the top with you...
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:45 PM »
just have the pike derby on known pike lakes only

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.