The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Willoughby Burbot  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Profish169

• IceShanty Rookie
Willoughby Burbot
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Hey just wondering where people fish for burbot on willoughby, Ive never caught one and want too give fishing for them a shot.
Thanks

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Willoughby Burbot
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:56 AM »
ive cought them just off the boat launch in 30-70fow, ive also cought them along the cliffs on the back side in 50-150fow.

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:19 AM »
As williev said, right off the boat launch in 30-50 row after dark.

Offline Neksportsman850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Using what for bait?

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:49 AM »
dead bait on the bottom works best. Not like set a foot off the bottom, but actually sitting on bottom. check gear every hour even without flags as they will hit and sit.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Haven't found a huge difference between smelt, or shiners, fresh or rotting all work about the same I usually step on them before attaching to the hook.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:57 AM »
usualy shiners for bait, dead or alive. one night we ran out of bait and switched to hot dogs, and the bite never slowed down LOL.

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:23 PM »
All of the above and I think we even used crawlers as bait also.  Right on bottom.

Offline troutallday

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:29 PM »
we have always looked for 20+ feet. Dead shiners or bait that we lost that day or the day before. Right on the bottom.

good eating!!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:31 AM »
usualy shiners for bait, dead or alive. one night we ran out of bait and switched to hot dogs, and the bite never slowed down LOL.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Not sure if it`s legal in VT but yellow perch are probably the best bait going especially if they are present in Willoughby , which I imagine they must be. The bigger the better and helps from being bothered by the smaller cusk. We can use yellows in NH as long as they are dead. I do not use anything else and the result speaks for itself.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Not sure if it`s legal in VT but yellow perch are probably the best bait going especially if they are present in Willoughby , which I imagine they must be. The bigger the better and helps from being bothered by the smaller cusk. We can use yellows in NH as long as they are dead. I do not use anything else and the result speaks for itself.

You can use yellows as bait here, but they have to be cought in the lake you are fishing, and you cant transport them away from the lake. They are in Willy, but getting on them can be tough. I definatly wouldnt go with out a back up bait expecting to catch perch that day for bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.