Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 263915 times)

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Inventions
« Reply #660 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:06 AM »

i made the hinge assembly out of galvanized steel, some kind of joist hanger from lowes. fastened to the floor with drywall screws. But there is a board on the other side. Your choice of fastener depends on what you are making the floor out of. I like pop rivets with washers for thinner  plywood or plastic.

On the blue hut i got strips of wood 1/4" thick by 1 1/2" by 4'.  I tacked the tarp in place on the side of the bottom then laid the strip down the whole edge. Then i nailed the strip down. Virtually no chance of it tearing there.

What kind of floor is it? I made the blue hut's floor out of chipboard. Bad choice. Should have used painted plywood. I considered an old truck bed liner but couldn't find one for free.😁

Describe it or post a pic. Maybe I can make a suggestion.

Offline gofishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #661 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Thanks Gillinator, It was made with 1/4" plywood (painted) and pieces of 1x3 as backing/bracing, but it's done over thirty years of service so it's time for some updates.

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #662 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:51 PM »
1/4" is nice and light. A couple of coats of paint and it should work. I think long rivets for any pole hinges or the like would be best. My small hut has a 1/4" plywood floor.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #663 on: Jan 24, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Flip Shanty STOGIE HOLDER:

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #664 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:51 PM »
This is the last update to my ice bucket chair.

I hinged the padded seat and fastened the back directly to the bucket with pop rivets. It is extendable with a push button lock. Pull straight up on the foam back/aluminum tubing and it moves up the slide assembly and the bottom locks in because of the shape of said slide and the push button locks automatically. Push the button in and  use pressure to get it back down again. When it does reach the bottom of the slide, the shape of the foam back wedges it snug. When it is extended out, the aluminum tube back leans back at  just the right angle. That part was tough. It took a few times to get it right.

It's lighter and one less thing to carry/bungie down on the sled.

I think this could be one of the better things I've made.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #665 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:44 PM »
Here is an idea I've been thinking of trying in the future for a homemade flip-up portable shelter . I have a UTV cover I bought for my SXS . It's made of heavy condura type material for $50.00 . My UTV is 8 ft. long by 60 inches wide by 6' 2" tall . The cover has 2 vent holes near the top to release condensation . If you can picture this cover draped over the UTV all the way to the ground with a elastic hem on the bottom , it certainly should make an excellent cover for a homemade flip-up portable shelter . Now with that thought in mind , they now make 4 seater UTVs that are 10 to 12 feet long and 6 feet wide ! If anyone succeeds in creating a shelter out of one of these covers before I do , please post up your creation .

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #666 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:05 AM »

<===Lefty===

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #667 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:35 AM »
That cover sounds better than the old canvas, the nylon tent i used or the tarp. I wonder how long it will last? I know the boys motorcycle cover cracked after being in the weather one year.

But it has to be waaaay better than a tarp. I wished i would have thought of that before I made the blue hut.

Interesting, you can buy that cordura fabric by the yard. This could be a big step forward for my projects. A step toward factory quality. Thank you sir!

Kind of pricey by the yard! But $50 for your cover is economical. Hell, that sounds great. I need to handle it though. See if I can sew it. Off to the motorcycle shop!

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #668 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Cordura makes at least a dozen kinds of fabric, many for the military.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #669 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:59 PM »
That cover sounds better than the old canvas, the nylon tent i used or the tarp. I wonder how long it will last? I know the boys motorcycle cover cracked after being in the weather one year.

But it has to be waaaay better than a tarp. I wished i would have thought of that before I made the blue hut.

Interesting, you can buy that cordura fabric by the yard. This could be a big step forward for my projects. A step toward factory quality. Thank you sir!

Kind of pricey by the yard! But $50 for your cover is economical. Hell, that sounds great. I need to handle it though. See if I can sew it. Off to the motorcycle shop!

Your welcome . If you do use one , please post pictures . It'll save me a major headache ...  :wacko:

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #670 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:13 AM »
 I have 3 shelters now. On second thought i probably won't make another.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.