Author Topic: Ice Auger Size  (Read 5358 times)

Offline JoshSmith

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Auger Size
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:43 PM »
So I went out ice fishing for the first time this past weekend and man was it a pain in the ass to use a 8" Eskimo hand auger through 7-9 inches of ice.  I have always heard that the smaller the auger the easier it will be to use but was nervous if I get a huge pike I wouldn't be able to bring it up. Is it really that much of a difference to get a 6" auger or should I just suck it up and keep using a 8" auger?

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Auger Size
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:28 AM »
If you are fishing for perch and panfish, go with the 6".  If you have walleye and pike in the lake, suck it up and use the 8".  I used an 8" Mora hand auger for 12 years. I was younger and in better shape back then. I remember it was a pain in the ass. But, if I started during early ice when the ice was 4-6" and fished regularly, I could gradually build my strength up as the ice thickened, until late season when the ice was 24" thick. One year, I went to Florida for Christmas and didn't fish much when I got back. The ice got thick and I could only drill a couple of holes before being completely worn out.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:51 AM »
I have an 8” Eskimo hand auger (mora style) that was never hard to drill, in my opinion.

First question though, is this the first time you’ve ever tried drilling a hole through ice? (Legitimate question, not sarcasm just to make sure. Context can get lost through text, especially on online forums). If you’re not use to drilling through ice, it may take a while to learn how to use it properly.

Here’s some tips:

Blade sharpness is important. However, even if you’re blades are too dull to cut ice, they are still sharp enough to cut off your finger. When auger blades dull for cutting ice, what’s happening is the angle of the edge has worn off to a different angle and isn’t grabbing the ice. Resharpening them (properly) restores the proper angle that grabs the ice. It doesn’t take much to damage your blades either. Never slam your auger into the ice. Ever. Simply, gently, place your auger on the ice in the location you want the hole drilled. Drilling through dirty ice will also kill blades in a hurry (sand). Drilling through shallow water and hitting bottom is a good one too. Also, don’t use your auger as a walking stick.

Applying downward pressure when drilling. If your blades are in proper working condition, almost zero downward pressure is needed for the auger to do its job (maybe some pressure just to stabilize things but that’s it). Just place the auger on the ice and start rotating the auger. It should grip and start drilling. I see way too many guys putting their entire body weight on their auger and watch as they are confused as to why it isn’t working right. That will prematurely dull blades too.

Keep your blades clean on the ice. Ice build up on the blades will hamper drilling efforts too. If the blades are blocked by built up ice on them, they will never grip the ice you want to cut. After each hole, just dip the auger in the hole so the slush washes off. Spin it around a few times to throw excess water off and rest the auger so the blades aren’t in the snow. Even a few inches helps. Just something so the blades aren’t in the snow. It’s also good practice to put the blade cover on whenever you aren’t using the auger. Especially during transport and storage.

Hole diameter. Yes, drilling a 6” hole should be easier than drilling an 8” hole. When you cut an 8” hole, you are cutting almost twice as much ice than you would for a 6” hole. So, based on that alone, it should be easier. A lot of decent fish can fit through a 6” hole. If I was targeting panfish 90% of the time, I’d use a 6”, if I was targeting pike, I’d use an 8” just for the fishes sake of safe handling. I use an 8” auger. I appreciate the larger holes and I like to think the fish do too.

An 8” hole can sometimes be a struggle by hand especially in ice over 12”-14”. So, what you’re experiencing, I would call normal for a new ice angler drilling an 8” hole. I’d keep the 8” for a while and see what you think. If you don’t quite like it, keep it, and get a 6”. Eskimo, StrikeMaster, Fin Bore, etc. are all pretty decent brands in my opinion and work out well for lots of fishermen.

Also, for the sake of disclosure, I’m not implying you do any of those things. Lending your auger to buddies is also a sure fire way to mess up your blades (usually because most people treat augers like junk instead of a valuable tool and return it to you in that condition). For what it’s worth, I own an 8” Eskimo (mora style) and an 8” StrikeMaster Lazer and I honesty don’t notice much of a significant difference in either of them other than color and price. Hole diameter, however, should have a significant difference in ease of drilling regardless of brand. If you find that 8” holes just aren’t your thing, sell it and buy some jigs.  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:30 AM »
If you are strictly pan fishing go with a 5 inch lazer.  I've fit small pike up to 30" through a 5 inch hole.  If you do more tip up fishing I would get a 7 or 8 inch.  Check out the 8 inch Nils augers.  They cut really easy. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:44 AM »
It takes about 80% more effort to drill an 8in hole vs a 6in hole.

The circumference of a 6in hole (pi * 6) is 18.84in.

Using the basic walleye weigh formula: Length (squared) X Girth (divided by) 1200 = weight

It would take a 30in 14lb walleye to fill a 6in hole, and it would still fit.

For a pike: WEIGHT = LENGTH x GIRTH2

It would take a 40in pike at about 14lbs to fill a 6in hole, and it would still fit.

Remember to, the girth of a fish is measure around their mid section. Typically comprised of flesh and organs. Meaning, if u do catch a fish bigger than 18in circumference, u can most likely fit it thru because the mid section is squishy..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:51 AM »
It takes about 80% more effort to drill an 8in hole vs a 6in hole.

The circumference of a 6in hole (pi * 6) is 18.84in.

Using the basic walleye weigh formula: Length (squared) X Girth (divided by) 1200 = weight

It would take a 30in 14lb walleye to fill a 6in hole, and it would still fit.

For a pike: WEIGHT = LENGTH x GIRTH2

It would take a 40in pike at about 14lbs to fill a 6in hole, and it would still fit.

Remember to, the girth of a fish is measure around their mid section. Typically comprised of flesh and organs. Meaning, if u do catch a fish bigger than 18in circumference, u can most likely fit it thru because the mid section is squishy..

All those formulas (and the size fish you can "fit" through a certain diameter hole) are great, on paper.

Start taking into account the fish fighting, head thrashing, cold weather making an 8 inch hole a six inch hole in short time, where the fish is hooked, etc., etc, and those "paper factoids" become quickly irrelevant....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:05 AM »
All those formulas (and the size fish you can "fit" through a certain diameter hole) are great, on paper.

Start taking into account the fish fighting, head thrashing, cold weather making an 8 inch hole a six inch hole in short time, where the fish is hooked, etc., etc, and those "paper factoids" become quickly irrelevant....

That is true. These formulas assume you know how to land a fish and tend your holes regularly so they dont freeze up. I personally have been using a 6in hole for years now without issue. Including the walleye you see in my avatar pic.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:14 AM »
The bigger hole is a lot nicer to use as the ice gets thicker. Oh, let me not forget to post IMHO so no oversensitive members take personal offence to my opinions.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Keep the 8," grow muscles or buy an electric auger. No idea how/why people use augers 6" or less, at least where I fish..I hook some of my biggest predator catches while jigging 2 lb line with micro tungstens for pannies and perch... best to have that extra room and not need it than to need it and not have it JIMHO of course!

Also, try releasing 8" dink perch whose swim bladders are regurgitated down a 6" hole through 18" of ice sometime... That's time wasted I'd rather be jigging.  ;D

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:28 AM »
SM

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:23 AM »
One year fishing with an 8" hole my wife was just learning how to set the hook. I told her watch the spring bobber and when it goes down set the hook. After missing a few she really set the hook on the next fish. It was an 18" Rainbow. She told me she couldn't get it through the hole so I went over to help her. It was still hard to get the fish though so I had to put my hand in there to get it out. Reason it was so hard is because she snagged it in the stomach. So 18" fish would not come through the 8" hole. Yeah a lot of factors on choosing an auger. 
<===Lefty===

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:41 AM »
It was still hard to get the fish though so I had to put my hand in there to get it out. Reason it was so hard is because she snagged it in the stomach. So 18" fish would not come through the 8" hole. Yeah a lot of factors on choosing an auger.

Can do the same thing with a 6in hole  ;)

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:45 AM »
The best crappie fisherman I know uses an electric 5" auger and punches 30 holes in short order. He says part of the reason he uses that tiny hole is that crappie that get off in the hole can't turn around so you can easily grab them. I use an 8" ion and cut fewer holes if I know the lake and where to fish.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:48 AM »
If you really want a big walleye, you'll make a 6" hole work, if that's all that you brought...

<°)))>{

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:58 AM »
I use a 5 inch lazer w/ a Milwaukee and Clam Plate.  I can drill a bunch of holes and fit most anything through it.  Keep in mind I am mostly panfishing but haven't caught a walleye that won't fit. 

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:16 AM »
I would say to put your cordless drill on the auger. That way your not doing it by hand. Drilling by hand is worthless. I don't ever see a reason to drill by hand, unless you don't have a cordless drill. Its like riding a bike in the mountains when you have a 4wheeler or truck around, I guess maybe if you want the exercise go for it.  But motors were invented for a reason, make life easier! And to quote doctorgee Oh, let me not forget to post IMHO so no oversensitive members take personal offence to my opinions.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:24 AM »
6 Inch holes work and work well. Have pulled a 40 inch Pike through one. Yes it took a bit of time to get the head up. But once up he slid right on up. Same for walleye. Crappie is what i chase most and 6 inch hole works fine. Especially for those bigger ones that pop off in the hole. They cannot turn around. I like the 5 inch hole as well for panfish. Plus those big holes have a way of catching people by the foot and leg. Have seen it just to many times.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Seeing that it was your first time, how could it be anything but hard?

Once you've developed the hand auger muscles, you'll be ripping holes in a matter of seconds.

I have a 10" power auger that hasn't seem ice in years, yet I've plowed thru up to 2 feet of ice with my hand augers.
Sure, it's tiring, but I don't mind the exercise. The 8" has a longer handle than my 6" one, so when I used the 6" on thick ice I had to hope I could punch thru, or I'd be screwed. Luckily I did make it thru, although I was kneeling on the ice when I did because of the ice thickness.

Now, 7-9" of ice is nothing. I can cut that in under 10 seconds.
The key (as stated before) is to have sharp blades.
Next is to not be discouraged when dealing with thicker ice. Do as I do, and consider it a challenge!

Lastly, plan on having fun and catching fish!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:36 AM »
When I first started drilling holes I dulled my blades by not gently placing them onto the ice to begin the process.  You definitely don't need to slam the blades onto the ice to get the drilling started.

First time with an 8" was through 22" of black ice and we were so tired we would stop to scoop the shavings out of the hole wondering what the hell we were doing.

I use a 6" and my buddies have an 8" and I lose about the same number of fish on the bottom in either case....which is more a fishing deficiency in Blue Snow!
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:10 AM »
After asking the same question is a 6 inch hole big enough it is for pan fish. After this weekend I lost 3 nice pike because I could not get them started up the hole. Now I have an 8 inch also. Best of both worlds. As many have given me advice what if that trophy is down there and you can't get it up the hole. You will hang your head as I did.

sunniewally

« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:01 PM »

might want to check this auger out.

Offline JoshSmith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Thanks for the responses everyone.

It took over 10 minutes to drill a hole so I must have been doing something wrong. Trying to exchange the auger for a smaller size from Cabela's which it looks like would help but they have none in stock :(

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:37 PM »
If it took 10 minutes there's a good chance you're doing something wrong or your auger is defective

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Can do the same thing with a 6in hole  ;)

But,

:whistle:  lol
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Was it 10 minutes of actually drilling, or 2 minutes of actually turning the auger, 5 minutes worth of catching breath, 3 minutes cursing?

<°)))>{

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:44 PM »
If you are concerned about getting a larger pike/walleye through a 6 inch hole, you can drill it on a slight angle and then the fish can start sliding up the hole.  You could get an ICE KICKER2 and use a 18 volt drill.  should be able to get  a few holes per battery.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:58 PM »
After asking the same question is a 6 inch hole big enough it is for pan fish. After this weekend I lost 3 nice pike because I could not get them started up the hole. Now I have an 8 inch also. Best of both worlds. As many have given me advice what if that trophy is down there and you can't get it up the hole. You will hang your head as I did.

They'll go. Just gotta settle down and help the fish realize that the hole is the way out. Patience serves the purpose in cases like this.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline baogongmeo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:10 PM »
I'm just a "newby" and this is only my second season icefishing but I bought my first auger a few months ago, an 8" Eskimo Silver-tip. Spent 5 days at the first of this month on Clear Lake,IA.
They were saying 12" to 14" of ice... seemed close to me. I didn't think that mine was that difficult to drill with but I didn't drill but only 2-3 holes at a time. Came back home and made it out to a local pond... landowner was saying 8" of ice but after drilling holes I think 4" was closer... I'm guessing a minute at the max drilling per hole.  Easy-peasy for this 61 year old beginner.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:45 PM »
i hope to meet a fish that wont fit in my 6 inch, ONLY thing i can say is after a few hours of frigid cold and wind they aint 6 inches no more LOL

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:46 PM »
So I went out ice fishing for the first time this past weekend and man was it a pain in the ass to use a 8" Eskimo hand auger through 7-9 inches of ice.  I have always heard that the smaller the auger the easier it will be to use but was nervous if I get a huge pike I wouldn't be able to bring it up. Is it really that much of a difference to get a 6" auger or should I just suck it up and keep using a 8" auger?

I've never caught a huge pike, but I've pulled a 34" 12.5lb out of a 6" hole with no problem at all. Their bellies slip right up that hole.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.