Author Topic: Wooden tip down plans?  (Read 6198 times)

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wooden tip down plans?
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Does anyone have a decent set of plans? Looking to use a schooleys spring bobber pole with them.

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wooden tip down plans?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Looked at a few and came up with this. It’s not the finished product I want to flip those screws holding the vertical dows up but I bought the wrong wing nuts. Bought the supplies at michaels but the next two I might buy more heavy duty dowes and wood used as the base. Dowes were cut to 18” so it’s an 18”x5” base and I didn’t measure the rod holder portion. Will comment back when the rods come in and I rig it all up. I’m looking to run a piece of wire and using a Dremel and grinding a channel into the top of the rod holder steaks. Will update when completed and tested.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Good to see you're building a true balanced tip down.   Very similar to what I built, based on "Crappie Guy's tip down".   A recycled oak pallet from Wal-Mart was easy and economical.    ;)2    5/8ths" squares 18" long were easier than using dowels.   For the balance, I used 1/8" solid aluminum wire, which makes that final delicate balance very easy.  When set, they tip down and stay, when 1/2 a small paper clip is hung on the top eyelet. That is true magic.

Keep us posted as you progress.     :clap:

And, check back before drilling holes in the schooley rods, as the exact location is very critical.   

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:00 AM »
Good to see you're building a true balanced tip down.   Very similar to what I built, based on "Crappie Guy's tip down".   A recycled oak pallet from Wal-Mart was easy and economical.    ;)2    5/8ths" squares 18" long were easier than using dowels.   For the balance, I used 1/8" solid aluminum wire, which makes that final delicate balance very easy.  When set, they tip down and stay, when 1/2 a small paper clip is hung on the top eyelet. That is true magic.

Keep us posted as you progress.     :clap:

And, check back before drilling holes in the schooley rods, as the exact location is very critical.

Yes I am looking at using the aluminum wire for the balance. Also since this was an impromptu build and I didn’t have any of my cutting tools on hand I believe the next two will be made out of a more sturdy material. Not saying this one won’t work but for the long run and make it look a bit cleaner. Defientely not going to drill the rods until I’m 100% certain where the sweet spot on balancing is. Hopefully I’ll have the other two made in a couple of days.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:02 PM »
A+ !  Sounds like you have fully grasped the concept.       :thumbsup:

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Finally finished a more sturdy product a few days ago and tested them yesterday. Landed 10+ pickerel and the gf landed a monster bluegill on a large fathead. Very happy with them only thing I may do is cut the bases back to like 16.5” and add a touch of weight to the handle of the green rod. Was fishing a dual minnow rig and I think since it was the most sensitive rod the two minnows kept tripping it. Other then that I love them can’t wait to try them again this weekend. Very fun and easy build.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Good show ~  You've seen the results.   
Why would you put two live baits on a tipdown?  They'll trip it, making it useless.

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Good show ~  You've seen the results.   
Why would you put two live baits on a tipdown?  They'll trip it, making it useless.

Will I was looking into it I noticed a few people fishing tip downs that do it. Just another chance at fish. I'm using it primarily for perch so the more the merrier. It only triggered it one or two times but minor adjustments stopped that.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:26 PM »
All good, if you continue to get results.    ;)2

Dropping in a second unit a few feet away may bring more fish,    ???

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:28 AM »
True I had them set up in a triangle. I was trying to dial in where the fish were. Lake I was fishing was loaded with hydrilla so it was tough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.