The ice fishing IL board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Public fishing success so far this season  (Read 345 times)

Offline Ice Seeker

• IceShanty Rookie
Public fishing success so far this season
« on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Just curious how everyone has been doing success wise on public waters this season.  I've seen a few posts of good fishing and a lot of posts of not much success.  I personally have struggled this season and last year was so short of an ice season hard to compare. I have fished a couple private lakes and done well as expected. I know the bite hasn't been the greatest but just seems like it has been slower than normal. Hopefully we get another cold snap and hope the bite picks up.

Offline Arquero3d

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Public fishing success so far this season
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:43 PM »
I think high pressure has been the story of this year.  We have had only a handful of days below 30 (and many in the upper 30s) on the barometer.  Up until the last several days, fishing has been TOUGH on public and private waters for me.  I have marked plenty of fish, but getting them to commit has been a challenge.  When I did get fish, they were rarely aggressive. 

Friday was awesome, but today was slow.  Similar BP BOTH days, but sunny vs. cloudy? Maybe they stuffed themselves senseless on Friday...I'm still trying to figure them out!  I'd love to hear someone else's theories.
Fisher of Fishermen

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:41 AM »
I pay no attention to barometric pressure and sunny vs cloudy. Why mentally limit yourself. Hitting the water thinking fishing will be tough because of high pressure has already impacted your ability to catch fish before you even started. I haven't had a bad trip this year. I only fish public water. Key for me is to always start aggressive and work my way down from there. I use jigging spoons on everything. I've had many great days catching bluebills and crappies on 1/16th oz spoons when other guys are trying to run the smallest jig they have because they think the fish are shut down. People tend to finesse fish far too much. I keep 3 rods rigged and only go as light as I need to. I also find that when the bite gets tough a big depth change can put you back in fish. If they aren't biting in 12ft try 5ft or 20ft. If something isnt working don't keep doing it. There is always fish willing to eat somewhere. Gotta stay positive

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:47 AM »
I have a pond that is crystal clear in the winter and you can observe fish all the way to the bottom. For some reason on high pressure days with really low temps the perch and bluegill are completely turned off. There are a lot of fish in that pond but you' swear there wasn't one.

This year no ice fishing in that pond as I  temporarily put 400 trout in the pond as they out grew the smaller pond they were in. Now those fish will hit anything at anytime. Always hungry always on the prowl.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline offshoredrilling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:52 AM »
I've had great luck this year myself. I have gotten out maybe 15-16 times this year and only been skunked once.  Lake Michigan has been great for perch and no problem to pull out 50+ fish in a couple hours. The local ponds ive hopped in the west suburbs have been so so but never failed to pull up a handful. The one place I was skunked is on a strip mine lake down in morris on my buddys property. Unfamiliar waters.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.