New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Canadarago lake  (Read 7535 times)

Offline dox

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Canadarago lake
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:10 AM »
Done with Oneidead Lake for a while. Too bad since I live 4 miles away from it but tired of 6" walleyes and maybe, just maybe a perch or two. Looking for some pointers for this lake especially about the perch bite like public access, parking, how deep for perch, best bait or lures. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:37 AM »
If your looking to do better than Oneida this is the wrong lake to try....    :-\
But theres access at the boat launch and bakers beach....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:02 AM »
If your looking to do better than Oneida this is the wrong lake to try....    :-\
But theres access at the boat launch and bakers beach....
2X THAT.
still want to try it ,go small GLO jig with spikes/or other bait close to the bottom[just over the grass]
perch like the flats and mud flats are best[bugs in the mud] remember spikes do not move much,so
i put plastic with the rig for movement,may work for you
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:23 PM »
X3 cando use to be , dox wish I only lived 4 miles from Oneida , your going to have to go a long ways to find an overall better lake to fish than Oneida , if you want an easier bite for perch try sandy pond or chamount bay far as eyes you won’t

Offline dox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:31 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. I hear you about Oneidead Lake. Been living here all my life so fishing it since a kid. Nothing like it was in the 70s & 80s and started to go down hill in the mid to late 90s for both walleye and perch. Sad to see that. DEC and Cornell blame it on something new every year. Who knows? Might be nature, might be man-made. Either way too bad. I remember not being able to get 5 tip-ups set up because the 3 you had got in were so busy you couldn't finish putting the others in. And they were BIG perch. Not that way anymore and hasn't been for 20 years. 

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:41 PM »
WOW I can't believe someone would turn away from Onieda to fish Dago. Maybe 20 years ago but not any more. Your best bet is to stick with Onieda, put up with a few slow days and learn from them. Try new areas, different depths, lures , bait and so on. Don't waist your gas going to Canadarago.

Offline dox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:07 PM »
62, I know its hard to believe but true. When I say live here I also have a camp on the water in Sylvan Beach and my brother on the water in North Bay next to Edgewater. Yup, I live 4 miles from the Big O and I have my man cave there. My family has always had a camp on the Big O since I was like 4 years old. The first was next to the Kon-Ti-KI if any one here is old enough to remember that place. I don't think I can learn much more about this lake. Just looking for options. I can hit Caz Lake in 1/2 hour, the Dago in 1 + hour. I hate to divorce the Big O, lots of memories. It's just that the life is being sucked out of her. I live near Lock 22. 20 years ago you could almost walk across the walleyes at bottom of the lock on any frosty night in November. The shad were so thick it looked like fake rain on the surface. Throwing Thunder Sticks at them and every cast was an adventure. Now, lucky to see one maybe two shad and NO walleyes.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Wow that funny I don’t understand how its that bad , but I’ve only been fishing a Oneida about 30-35 yrs and this year was out standing , boat fishing was insane , , and the whole first ice thing was out of control , perch fishing has been good for some others have struggled , the fall perch bite was very good , but remember the lake is clearer now and presentations are different , I’m very sorry your in a slump , we all have them from time to time
Tite lines
  F&R

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2018, 05:31 PM »
This past April my wife and I rode up to witness the walleye run at the hatchery. to say that it was absolutely amazing would be an understatement. the fish ARE there. they are being fed well by those pesky little gobies and do not have to look hard for a meal. this is why we as fishermen have to get creative and find new ways to catch them.
 I wish I did not have to travel 2 hrs to fish Onieda because I would be there every day. It may not be easy but I'm sure they are catchable if we work at it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2018, 05:48 PM »

Just go on MFF and read the Oneida page tons of info there on the soft water eye fishing ,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. I hear you about Oneidead Lake. Been living here all my life so fishing it since a kid. Nothing like it was in the 70s & 80s and started to go down hill in the mid to late 90s for both walleye and perch. Sad to see that. DEC and Cornell blame it on something new every year. Who knows? Might be nature, might be man-made. Either way too bad. I remember not being able to get 5 tip-ups set up because the 3 you had got in were so busy you couldn't finish putting the others in. And they were BIG perch. Not that way anymore and hasn't been for 20 years.

are you kidding me Oneida has gone down hill and  you want to go fish  canadarago  ...... :roflmao:  pass that i'll hit it

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Dox, you gotta roll with the changes on Oneida. Best to stick with Oneida....canadarago got beat up years ago.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:24 PM »
I’ve fished Cando for 30 years.  Two previous comments, “don’t waste your gas on Canadarago” and “Canadarago got beat up years ago” says it all.  Great place to waterski, though.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:14 AM »
I would be remiss if I did not mention that it is an excellent bullhead pond. I get off on catching Mr Whiskers in the spring and coming from there they are very good table fair as well as being very healthy, heavy and of good size. As I said before the walleye/perch fishery had gone downhill

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:32 AM »
I would be remiss if I did not mention that it is an excellent bullhead pond. I get off on catching Mr Whiskers in the spring and coming from there they are very good table fair as well as being very healthy, heavy and of good size. As I said before the walleye/perch fishery had gone downhill

Definitely some nice, big bullhead in there. Some hog bass in there, too, but they can be tough
Pete

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Last October on a warm day I decided to run to "Dago ' for my last bullhead trip of the year. Yes, bullheads in October.  But for the last couple hours of daylight I trolled for eyes. The eyes eluded me once again but I caught several "pig" largemouth down 25 to 28.  Nice fight but quite a disappointment when your looking for wally

Offline mkiburz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:38 AM »
What you are all really seeing is how much our DEC is not infesting in the lakes.  Budget cut have reduced the stocking programs.  Lakes are now managed different.  I recommend calling your politician and get the stock programs back.  the State spends our money on stupid stuff  (i.e. illegal road signs, 14 million) instead of investing in the people.  Places that are tourist attraction like the salmon river get the money.  We our lakes deserve care and money as well.  Rant over!

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:45 AM »
I wouldn’t pin the demise of the Cando fishery on lack of stocking. Good numbers of walleye still being stocked.  More like overharvest, zebra mussels and villain #1, the alewife population.   Alewives are fry eating machines.  We need a die off similar to what happened on Otsego.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:23 PM »
What you are all really seeing is how much our DEC is not infesting in the lakes.  Budget cut have reduced the stocking programs.  Lakes are now managed different.  I recommend calling your politician and get the stock programs back.  the State spends our money on stupid stuff  (i.e. illegal road signs, 14 million) instead of investing in the people.  Places that are tourist attraction like the salmon river get the money.  We our lakes deserve care and money as well.  Rant over!

Actually most of the funding for stocking programs comes from the Conservation Fund (remainder is federal dollars). It's one (maybe the only!) thing NYS does right, that sportsmans dollars (license fees, permits, tickets and fines, selective logging of state forests, other fundraisers, etc) goes to fund sporting programs. Stockings, ECOs, boat ramps/access, trails and state lands, etc. Politicians have tried to "Borrow" from the Conservation Fund before but the DEC has stopped it. They don't mix budgets with the State General Fund which pays for stupid things like the NY road signs.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:02 PM »

perch aren't stocked ,the internet killed canadarago ,once the word was out that lake was swamped ...I know I was there .....and the Oneida hatchery  stocks between 200 to 300 million a year ...that's a increase from years past not a cut back I believe ..... state wide we have better fishing then we ever have had and more hunting opportunities ....

Offline mkiburz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:08 PM »
perch aren't stocked ,the internet killed canadarago ,once the word was out that lake was swamped ...I know I was there .....and the Oneida hatchery  stocks between 200 to 300 million a year ...that's a increase from years past not a cut back I believe ..... state wide we have better fishing then we ever have had and more hunting opportunities ....

The internet has definitely killed many lakes.  What do you guys thing of a no selling of Perch and a 15 fish limit?
Before you get the torches and rope I'm not in favor of it but it was proposed. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:09 PM »
http:// OFFICE OF THE NEW YORK STATE COMPTROLLER
Thomas P. DiNapoli, State Comptroller
Fishing, Hunting and Trapping in New York State
December 2015
Executive Summary
New York offers a wide variety of sporting opportunities for the almost two million men and women who hunt, fish and trap in the State. More than 90 percent of New Yorkers who engage in these activities participate in fishing or in both hunting and fishing, while 9 percent participate in hunting exclusively. Consumer spending on these sporting activities totaled more than $5 billion in 2011 (the last year for which such figures are available). Nearly $1.9 billion was for trip-related purchases including transportation, food and lodging.
The revenue generated from the sale of licenses and permits for hunting and fishing, which totaled nearly $50 million in State Fiscal Year (SFY) 2012-13, supports important fish and wildlife programs. Over the past five fiscal years, spending by the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) from the State’s Conservation Fund for fish and wildlife programs averaged $44.3 million annually. In addition, two key federal programs provide grant support to State fish and wildlife programs. Over the past five years, federal Wildlife Restoration grants to New York State and Sport Fish Restoration grants have averaged a combined total of more than $24 million annually.
Fishing and hunting generate economic activity in communities across the State, with the benefit deriving from both residents and those who travel from elsewhere to take advantage of the Empire State’s sporting options. Nonresidents generated 20 percent of the revenue collected from license fees in the 2012-13 license year, one indication of the State’s attractiveness as a sporting destination.
Hunting and fishing enthusiasts who are drawn to New York’s splendid natural environment contribute to essential wildlife programs when they purchase licenses and permits. In addition, New Yorkers and nonresidents who fish and hunt generate billions of dollars in economic activity each year, supporting local businesses and jobs across the State.
Fishing, Hunting and Trapping in New York State
With more than 7,500 lakes and ponds, 70,000 miles of rivers, streams and coastline, and millions of acres of forest and open space, New York is home to world-class

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:07 PM »
I am not sure if there is any one reason why "dago" has gone downhill, but I do think there are many contributing factors. such as those stupid mooneyes that some bright individual needed to pore in there. they love to eat walleye fry. then there are the zebra mussels which have cleaned up a lot of the small fish food. and that's only the start of things gone wrong. I will say this about the stocking program:  back when I was catching good perch, it was not uncommon to catch 10-15 tigers in a summer just by accident while trolling for walleyes. Now they are eating machines that kept the perch population in check which allowed some to grow big. I haven't seen a tiger in a couple years which makes me think they've cut back on stocking. they are hi-brids which don't reproduce so you need continuous stocking to keep the balance.
  just my opinion but never the less , it's sad to see what has happened over there

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:46 PM »
The internet has definitely killed many lakes.  What do you guys thing of a no selling of Perch and a 15 fish limit?
Before you get the torches and rope I'm not in favor of it but it was proposed.

well darago  has a  25 fish limit  and  no perch .....  Chaumont  has  no  limits and  outstanding perch  fishing  always  has .....

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:46 AM »
A 15 fish limit are you nuts...what are you smokin...i want some ;D...i dont think that would fly..just bustin on ya..that would b nuts 15 fish..my little guy can eat 15 fish plus sometimes

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:29 AM »
62&done......bingo, thank you very much.  Someone else agrees with my belief about the tiger muskies.  I started fishing the lake in 1979.  Back then, with a dropper, it was 2 at a time as fast as you put it back down the hole.  All dinks.  The lake was full of them.  In the early 80’s the state starting stocking tigers.  Slowly but surely the perch numbers started going down and the avg size started going up.  It became a great perch fishery and the word very quickly got out.  Commercial guys were taking buckets a day off the lake, particularly in the deep water off Marble Road. That put a real dent in the population and DEC reduced the daily limit to 25.  But, the knockout punch was that they stopped stocking tigers because many locals thought they were eating up small gamefish.  BS.  My fishing partner caught a tiger once and it had 17 small perch in its gut.
So, the lake returned to its former self with thousands of stunted perch.  If you investigate you will find many success stories throughout the country of stocking tigers in overpopulated perch lakes. They’re perch eating machines.  Fortunately DEC is back to stocking tigers in Cando so I am hopeful things will improve.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:29 AM »
you guts  have  some  good points I never thought of  another thing I have  noticed  when ever tight limits are  established  there is a lot of dink fish  ...

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:02 PM »
A 15 fish limit are you nuts...what are you smokin...i want some ;D...i dont think that would fly..just bustin on ya..that would b nuts 15 fish..my little guy can eat 15 fish plus sometimes

Saratoga Lake is a 15 fish limit on sunfish. 

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Im suprised theres no limit on rockies..i better be quiet b4 they do. ;D

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2018, 03:23 PM »
Im suprised theres no limit on rockies..i better be quiet b4 they do. ;D

Love those rockbass aka freshwater grouper :tipup:  I'm always surprised at how many people have no idea how good eating they are. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.