Author Topic: Taking a newbie out for first time  (Read 371 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Taking a newbie out for first time
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Before I even walk onto the ice with someone who hasn't ever been ice fishing I always have a conversation about how if they get too cold to stay out or I do that we are going to pack it in and not give each other a hard time about it.  Knowing that it takes a while to get the proper gear to appreciate being out all day I figure that it is better to let them know we can pack it in if they are uncomfortable.  Just hoping that if they enjoyed themselves maybe they will find some better equipment and want to do it again - and if they don't want to make the trip again at least they tried something different!  Of course there are a lot of other bits of advice(pay attention to the spring bobber) and admonishments(don't slam the auger onto the ice) but going out with someone new I'm always hoping to find the way to make them say - lets do that again!

Is there anything that you do for each person you introduce to the sport aside from steering them away from open water?
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
Re: Taking a newbie out for first time
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:50 PM »
To create an ice fishing advocate, two things are necessary in my experience.  First they need to stay warm and second, they need to catch fish.  While your quest might be a 12 lb walleye, a fishless day will likely mean his/her last time on the ice.

The simpler it is for them to catch something (re: can be a small perch, trout or bluegill), the more likely their attention span for electronics, lure/bait selection and strategy will follow. 

So I guess what I am saying is the ball is in your court.  Make is both a fun and memorable day and by all means have fun.

Offline rlusk3030

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:48 PM »
1st thing is always being warm and feeling safe.  Catching fish definitely helps the first couple times to really get someone interested.

It also depends on the person I've had friends get hooked first time just from the experience nice sunset/sunrise over the ice the peace an quiet, etc. it can be enough to get those that like this kind of outdoor activity.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:05 PM »
I sell ice fishing to anyone that will give me a minute.....a minute will do if you do it right.  I hold one index finger out and count with the other index finger on it.     "One, if you catch fish you will love it. Two you got to stay warm.   If I do not do either, I go home and you should too". And I say it with humor and sincerity.  I haven't converted anyone yet but I sure do make friends.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.