Author Topic: THE BIG DEBATE  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
THE BIG DEBATE
« on: Feb 28, 2006, 09:48 PM »
ok
i normally use quick strike rigs for my pike fishing.
my buddy on the other hand, all he does is runs the wireleader through the minnow and hooks a treble on the bottom.
Ive noticed he gets more flags...but usually he dosent get as many hookups(unless he practically lets the pike swallow it)
so
wuts everybody think?
would a quickstrike rig scare a pike off?

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: THE BIG DEBATE
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:31 AM »
Honestly?  Fluorocarbon leaders are great and seem to work best for me in clear H20.  Hard question, but maybe you can look at your quick strikes in a different light?  Try a longer thinner steel leader with a small transistion swivel between your tip-up line and quick strike hooks.  Otherwise, it's not impossible to tie up some quickstrikes with fluorocarbon if your worried about spooking fish.  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I use a quick strike rig made of fluorocarbon. I slip one #8 treble and leave it free sliding along the line, and then tie another on the end. I get far more flags than anyone using wire in clear water.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2006, 06:58 PM »
I use a quick strike rig made of fluorocarbon. I slip one #8 treble and leave it free sliding along the line, and then tie another on the end. I get far more flags than anyone using wire in clear water.
.....thats super!!!....WTG....any pics of the flags? how many fish did you land?...WTG...Grump  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2006, 01:43 AM »
Wow Tyler..........I would have to call that an over reaction  :o. I would be surprised if the admin doesnt bounce you for that little outburst. Grump, are you torturing the children again? ;D
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

billybono

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2006, 09:33 AM »
awwww i missed all the fun  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

billybono

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Icefishing_master, I have caught pike using both methods.
I have two forms of hand-made quick strike rigs one is simply two steel leaders connected to a snap on my line. I then can change my leader length or hook size at will. The second is made out of fluorocarbon, with hooks, bead and wights at eather end, so the bait hangs horizontal.
The other method I just center punch the minnow or smelt and let it sit, no wight or nothing.
I have had equal success with both rigs.
Try them both and see which you like better, it seems to vary from lake to lake, you may have to test and see which one is more popular with the pike.
Good Fishing.:tipup:

WW

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:08 PM »
i think his method gets more flags...
its just i usually hook up with just as many fish as him.
unless he lets it swallow the whole hook but we normally c&r so we try to lip hook them.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2006, 10:21 PM »
For catch and release a the quick-strike rig is a better choice if you set the hook quickly they are usually hooked in the corner of the lip.
Another thing you could try is a circle hook or single hook. :)

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.