Author Topic: How come?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline WTblazer

• IceShanty Rookie
How come?
« on: Jan 14, 2018, 01:47 PM »
We see a lot of the same lakes being talk about on here?  I see Summit and Eagle Creek mentioned a lot but none about a few that are right around Summit.  Westwood, Whitewater, Middle Fork....I figured the walleye guys would hit up Prairie Creek pretty heavily.  Also I don’t see any mention of the bigger waters like Patoka, Monroe, Raccoon, etc..
Anybody ever tried ice fish the pond right off of 465&Allisionville Rd. I see a lot of people fish from the bank there during the summer

Offline bwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How come?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2018, 03:09 PM »
People around me fish monroe.  Don't know if anyone goes out on the others. 

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:31 AM »
People are leary of internet fishing sites. With good reason.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline WTblazer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:39 PM »
People are leary of internet fishing sites. With good reason.

That makes sense. I just thought maybe only a few bodies of water worth fishing and that is why they don't discuss the others.  In reality, it is just the opposite.  ;D  until some magazine published an article saying how great that particular lake is then all hell breaks loose.   ;)

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Indiana is a very good State for a fisherman. We have so many good natural lakes, rivers, etc.ect. That are great fishing. Lakes that you always hear about on ice shanty, are the favorites year after year. As far as Summit goes, its one of the highest lakes in the state, And has the repetition of one that’s the first to freeze.

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Indiana is a very good State for a fisherman. We have so many good natural lakes, rivers, etc.ect. That are great fishing. Lakes that you always hear about on ice shanty, are the favorites year after year. As far as Summit goes, its one of the highest lakes in the state, And has the repetition of one that’s the first to freeze.

I've got to tell you, that idea that Summit is one of the first to freeze up every year has some merit.  I've fished it a few times in soft water, but a little over a week ago was the first time I ever  tried some hard water fishing up there.  I'ts about a 2hr 15 minute drive from where I live in Brown County.  I left my home at 2:30 AM, and temps were -4 on my car temp gauge.  In Columbus I got readings of 0 degrees in town.  Just a half hour east of there in Greensburg temps were -9.  As I passed thru Rushville , temps were -11.  Between Rushville and I 70 I was getting readings of -14.  In New Castle it was -12.  When I pulled into the parking lot at Summit at 5:00 AM my car temp gauge read -16.  I realize it's a little bit of apples to oranges comparisons in temps due to time of day differences....but I have to say.... that place is cold!

HHD

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:55 AM »
I've got to tell you, that idea that Summit is one of the first to freeze up every year has some merit.  I've fished it a few times in soft water, but a little over a week ago was the first time I ever  tried some hard water fishing up there.  I'ts about a 2hr 15 minute drive from where I live in Brown County.  I left my home at 2:30 AM, and temps were -4 on my car temp gauge.  In Columbus I got readings of 0 degrees in town.  Just a half hour east of there in Greensburg temps were -9.  As I passed thru Rushville , temps were -11.  Between Rushville and I 70 I was getting readings of -14.  In New Castle it was -12.  When I pulled into the parking lot at Summit at 5:30 AM my car temp gauge read -16.  I realize it's a little bit of apples to oranges comparisons in temps due to time of day differences....but I have to say.... that place is cold!

HHD

What the heck did you do between 5:30 and sunrise???...lol.

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:15 AM »
What the heck did you do between 5:30 and sunrise???...lol.

I studied the course materials for the entry level "walleye ice fishing 101" until my instructor arrived .   He did supply some breakfast break session food, like some dried up bacon and a few frozen chocolate donuts.  Still evaluating whether the course was worth the money.

HHD

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Did you get any walleye? How much was your experience? PM me the guide just curious.

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Did you get any walleye? How much was your experience? PM me the guide just curious.

A very reliable source on this board recommended the instructor to me , saying "  that guy can catch a fish in a mud hole without the water ".   Well, 5 hours of driving , lost sleep, half frozen , to get some crappy dried up bacon... at least the guy could have pulled out a hibachi and cooked up a hamburger or T-bone for lunch.   ;D 

HHD 

Offline WTblazer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:09 AM »

I don't know about Indiana being very good for fishing.  We suck compared to our neighbors, except Ohio.  ;D

I never thought about the elevation at Summit although it would contribute to one of the reasons that the water stays so clear being a non-natural lake.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:40 AM »
A very reliable source on this board recommended the instructor to me , saying "  that guy can catch a fish in a mud hole without the water ".   Well, 5 hours of driving , lost sleep, half frozen , to get some crappy dried up bacon... at least the guy could have pulled out a hibachi and cooked up a hamburger or T-bone for lunch.   ;D 

HHD

Usually "that" instructor catches the fish too...and tells ya...I'm gonna show you one more time. Although he is pretty good at giving you the days catch...lol.

If we are talking the same instructor....

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:12 AM »
I think a good reason for fewer reports is the fact the further south you go the fewer ice fisherman there are. The ice fishing season for lakes south of north central Indiana and northern Indiana in a lot of years don't get ice enough to be safe or at all. They just don't build up the reputation from year after year of ice fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.