New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: how much ice are we going to lose?  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Hardwaterlipn147

• Team IceShanty Regular
how much ice are we going to lose?
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:12 AM »
my buddy askedme the question and im curious myself , how much ice are we going to lose with this warm up this week I plan on hittin LG sunday. still going to be ok to go out? ::) ??? :tipup:
weekend hooker!

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: how much ice are we going to lose?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:29 AM »
The answer is very little. Places that only had skim ice might open up. Holes wont freeze back over, but they also wont grow much. A few days of highs in the mid 30s is nothing when you have 7-8"+ of ice. The only thing to worry about is the potential rain on friday and some 40 degree temps. it might soften a few edges, and where small streams run into lakes there will be some localized thinning. But any lake with 7-8"+ (which is almost every lake) will see no real impact. If there's 6" of snow on the lake, the warm up will do nothing and the snow will absorb the rain and might sink the ice a little but again, this is a blip not even worth a second glance.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:57 AM »
Only the ice buildup on your jigging line and eyelets. ENJOY?

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:06 AM »
http://lakeice.squarespace.com/thawed-ice/

says a inch of rain falling in 40 degree air can melt 1/16" of ice I assume that's just he rain not the air also.

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Rain does little by itself, mix in strong wind and warm temps and that is what does damage, by strong winds I mean 20 mph plus. We will not notice this warm up, as said above maybe a inlet and typically bad shore ice. Cold temps are right around the corner, Friday night low teens, looks like some perfect weather mild days and cold nights. Nothing like getting a tan while ice fishing. Take care all.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:02 PM »
It will just do a good job of getting rid of any snow on the ice.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:17 PM »
We will lose some snow then it will get firm with the temps coming , it should make for better dragging , that all depends on how much snow is on the ice ,

Offline GRcoldworm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:21 PM »
Newbie question, but dose a snow layer slow down ice melt when it warms up?

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:33 PM »
Yeah it acts as insulation so ice doesn't form as quick and also doesn't melt as quick.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:36 PM »
it's global warming! and we are going to lose all the ice if your smart you'll sell your ice fishing equipment and invest in sun screen

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:40 PM »
We won't lose any ice.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Rain is detrimental to ice..HOWEVER we have enough snow on top of the ice that we have, that this warm up and rain should actually help our ice making.. The warm temps and rain should fill the snow with LOTS of moisture and as long as we get a decent cold snap like theybwere calling for it should actually make ice on top of the ice we already have.. This usually makes for a few inches of white ice on top of the black ice we have underneath it...

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:15 PM »
For those of us without the snow cover, how much damage will this do? At least 10" of good black ice most places, but I'm concerned what 2 rainy days around 50 will do, am I overreacting?

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Zero

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:24 PM »
it's global warming! and we are going to lose all the ice if your smart you'll sell your ice fishing equipment and invest in sun screen

Especially on LG where global warming effects are maximized by farting lakers....trust me I read the internet about these things.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:05 AM »
For those of us without the snow cover, how much damage will this do? At least 10" of good black ice most places, but I'm concerned what 2 rainy days around 50 will do, am I overreacting?
I guess it's gonna depend on how much rain falls I guess... personally I think you'll be fine.. it's supposed to fall right back into sub freezing temps so I seriously doubt you'll lose the ability to get on "safe ice"

FrankM

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:26 AM »
1.3875" +/-.0005"

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:48 PM »
For certain counties were suppose to get a hell of a storm starting Friday lots of snow , just write I'll plow so we can all fish NO problem ;D :clap: :cookoo: :icefish: :icefish:
McPerch

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:00 PM »
http://lakeice.squarespace.com/thawed-ice/

says a inch of rain falling in 40 degree air can melt 1/16" of ice I assume that's just he rain not the air also.

Loads of great information on this site.  Every ice fisherman should read it!  Lake ice is science and it's been studied for a long time.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:04 PM »
I'm more concerned about the amount of snow they are talking Friday night to Saturday mid day.  I saw four different models and they showed anywhere from 14" - 28" of snow for western NY.  Less as you go East. 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:51 PM »
The run off is going to hurt the shore lines..  The rain will collect on the Ice till it finds a hole to empty into the lake.. Then those holes get.real big......      :'(
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:53 PM »
I'm more concerned about the amount of snow they are talking Friday night to Saturday mid day.  I saw four different models and they showed anywhere from 14" - 28" of snow for western NY.  Less as you go East.

exactamundo !!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:09 PM »
The run off is going to hurt the shore lines..  The rain will collect on the Ice till it finds a hole to empty into the lake.. Then those holes get.real big......      :'(
That's the biggest problem. Just have to watch where you step for a few days after and hope snow doesn't cover them.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:14 PM »
That's the biggest problem. Just have to watch where you step for a few days after and hope snow doesn't cover them.

Sewer caps that could easily swallow a man. Watch your steps guys, never take your guard down.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Sewer caps that could easily swallow a man. Watch your steps guys, never take your guard down.

in syracuse after a heavey rain a man went to help push a ladys car ...the run off lifted the man cover off the drain ,he steped on and he was sucked into the sewer system and drowned ....

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Hoping to hit LG Sun with the kids. They’re counting down the days to their first ice fishing trip, praying the ice stays safe. I’m sure it’ll be fine just do the usual and pay attention to bubblers and the edges.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:19 PM »
Guess we'll be losing quality not quantity.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:04 AM »
I'm not worried about losing thickness, but we are under a flood watch in the Southern Tier until tomorrow night due to the combination of snow melt/rain/ice jams. The Susquehanna is most likely going to lose its safe ice due to rising water levels that will bust it all up. Hopefully any rise in the lake and reservoir levels will just float the ice up and let it settle back into place as the water goes back down!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:36 AM »
It is going to be a mess, I don't think we will see too much ice loss, the latest model for snow fall is devastating, we are looking at 17" by Sat mid day, pile that on top of a wet ice surface and it is going to be awful. Be careful all. sure to be interesting.

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:47 AM »

I am too. They said this morning that it is variable how much snow we will get. The rain will clean the top of the ice then hopefully it freezes before that snow comes and blows right off. Otherwise the top layer will be a slushy mess that is a pain for dragging.

Worst part for me is that my wheeler that I plow with has an issue with shifting that I am trying to diagnose so it is torn apart right now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.