Author Topic: Best Fishing Lantern  (Read 2366 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best Fishing Lantern
« on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:36 AM »
I know there has recently been a lot of posts about underwater lights...gow jigs...etc. I believe my question to be a bit different? I fish in flipovers, hub shelters and a hardside occasionally. basically, i'm not always fishing in the same shelter and don't want to wire all 3 with LED Strip lights so I'd like to get a lantern as i see it being more practical.

Any suggestions on what will illuminate the whole shack really well? Long lasting even in the cold?
Thanks for your insight! Plan on taking my chances at jigging for some cusk for the first time this year.
Tight Lines!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Re: Best Fishing Lantern
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Though I haven’t fished at night for sometime now I would always use my Dewalt lantern...it’s really bright, I’ve used it in my Clam flip over as well as in my buddies bob house... I have to buy the battery adapter now since the older 18v isn’t made anymore.
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:09 AM »
I have a collection of Coleman lanterns from 1925 to the present.  The current propane models make great fishing lanterns, providing light and heat while being convenient.  The Northstar propane lantern is great.  The Coleman fuel models are also suitable, but are a bit less convenient.

The current Coleman brand mantles for their lanterns are horrible.  Peerless brand are excellent, as are the American Mantle brand.  I use Peerless in all my Colemans.  There is a noticeable difference, especially in durability.  The modern Coleman brand mantles are ridiculously fragile.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Do you find that the new LED's are comparable in light in terms of the propane? Battery powered seems more convenient and easy. Although heat is a plus, I do have a heater so i'm not sure i'd need the additional heat.

Propane just seems like it would be more of a process, has more pieces to the puzzle and might even be a bit more fragile?
Tight Lines!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:49 AM »
If you don't need the heat, then I think LED is the way to go.  BUT... I'm not sure if any LED lanterns are as bright as DIY light strip projects.  I don't have any experience with anything but tiny backpacking LED lanterns.  Hopefully, folks using bigger LED lanterns will respond.

Another option is a modern, high-end headlamp.  I have a pair of LED headlamps from ArmyTek that are incredible.  The ones I use have a beam that is a pure flood, rather than a concentrated beam.  They are perfect for close-up work like ice fishing.  I use them at home when working on the car, motorcycles, etc. and don't bother even messing with a lead light anymore.

They run on a rechargeable Lithium 18650 battery.  You can get the whole package with the battery and charger for under seventy bucks.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Desmobob, thanks for the input! You've been really helpful, maybe i'll do an LED lantern/ headlamp combo.
Tight Lines!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Desmobob, thanks for the input! You've been really helpful, maybe i'll do an LED lantern/ headlamp combo.

You're welcome!  Having a high quality headlamp or three is a wonderful thing.  They are so much more practical and useful than flashlights.  Zebralight is another brand of excellent headlamps.  I believe they also offer models with full flood type lenses, as well as normal long range beam patterns. 

Having a full, even flood of light is what makes them really handy for fishing, etc.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2018, 12:15 PM »
i made a lantern from an ammo box. i used a daytime driving led strip and hot glued it to the side and added a switch. using an old 12 volt 7 amp sla battery.

i always wear a headlamp. helps baiting hooks and removing them. and hands free right where your looking always.

i use a mini glassless propane lantern (uses a perforated metal globe). it offers heat and 360 degree light. nice for low heat needs. and fishing light to share with others outside of shelter. many of us share lantern light. brings fish in too.

for stringing led strip lights, i use veclcro one wrap. makes moving them easy. on hubs you just run a length on one of the upper rods and tuck it in in a few key spots.
i use a remote control for them that is a dimmer/off/on.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2018, 05:33 PM »
I put LED strips on my flasher:

The strips were like 7 bucks on Amazon and I have plenty left over. They're very bright and make my flasher a multipurpose item. Since this picture was taken I've added USB ports to charge my phone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.