Author Topic: ATV tracks  (Read 3757 times)

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATV tracks
« on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:33 PM »
IM sure this has been covered here b4 but couldnt find it in a search. I sold my snowmobile a few years back because we had a few bare winters and it was sitting idle while i used the wheeler. Im afraid this winter we might get enough snow to strand my wheeler, but im hesitant to buy, register, and insure another sled though. Who out there is using tracks on their wheeler, and how do you like them. Do they float well in deep snow, and how do they do with slush. Im seeing quite a few used sets on CL near me witch makes me wonder if they are worth it or not. Id be putting them on a Honda rubicon 500, so not a big bore machine, but it has decent torque, will it struggle to turn them.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV tracks
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:16 AM »
thanks for the input, sounds like the consensus is they work well. Now to find a used set at a reasonable price.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:27 AM »

Been running my atv with tracks for 4 seasons now. Pulls my gear with no problems through deep snow and moderate slush. I have noticed that over the course of the last 10 seasons up by me in NE WI, the snow depth and slush issues haven't been as great. I do get into patches of it, but throttle control and using a long rope for towing seems to have helped.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:47 AM »
ATV tracks are great. If I was in the market for a new machine I would forego buying a snowmobile and get an ATV and put tracks on it. Power steering would be mandatory for me to make turning much easier.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:14 AM »
I've had tracks on my 800 for 7 years now I think. I wouldn't run without them now. As soon as we get the first plowable snow I put it in the shop and the tracks go on. I've only gotten stuck once, and that was last weekend, in a 3' deep ditch that had drifted over level and had then filled with runoff. So the surface looked good, but not underneath. We hooked two other tracked atvs up and couldn't get it out. I think if we had to have kept working we could have , but the 3500 Ram was just a couple hundred yards away. The other issue I had wad last season I lost a bearing on one of the pods, while out on the lake. I always wondered what that would be like. I was able to just run on three with the brake rotor on the missing pod on the ice. Replacing the bearing wasn't that big of a deal. Look at ATVTRACKS.net. They have a lot of videos on maintenance and riding, and pretty much everything "tracks". I pull my 14' wheelhouse on a tongue ski with my ATV and it does great.

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2018, 10:18 AM »
I have ur mattracks on my utv I only run them when travel gets difficult with tires but I love them ive had them for 5 years and haven't had any issues ive had them out in Wyoming elk hunting 3 different times and lots of ice fishing use my .02 would be if your just using them for ice use get whatever but if your going to be in the in the hills and trees get tracks w the suspension built in plus they conform to what your driving over instead of a solid slide like a sled

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.