Author Topic: Marcum LX-6 problems  (Read 7672 times)

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum LX-6 problems
« on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:51 AM »
I have a Marcum LX-6 that has worked flawlessly until yesterday.  The unit powers on but doesn't actually do anything.  The transducer makes the clicking noise like it is working but doesn't read anything.  I have disconnected battery, checked all wires, disconnected and reconnected all plugs.  I don't have another transducer to see if that is the problem and I hate to spend all that money just to see if it's the problem.  Has anyone else ever had this issue? Any ideas?

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Marcum LX-6 problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Try a different battery to eliminate that possibility. Wire it to a car battery if you don't have a spare.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:58 AM »
How could it be the battery when the unit powers on no problem? It turns on no problem its just like the transducer isn't working properly.

Offline 1750outfiterss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Try a different battery to eliminate that possibility. Wire it to a car battery if you don't have a spare.
X2
Aquatic Species Relocation Engineer 
I only fish twice a week
Once for 3 and
once for four

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Many issues with faulty Marcum chargers.

&spfreload=10

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:07 AM »
You could always give MarCum a call and talk with someone.

Batteries (for anything) can do weird things sometimes. Think of a car, the battery might be able to run the radio, roll the windows down, and blast a little AC. Auxiliary power may work ok but it might not have enough juice to roll-over the engine to actually start the car. There is such a thing as not enough power.

I would try a new/different battery first. How old is the battery? I suppose it could also be an issue with the charger.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2018, 11:46 AM »
The battery is fully charged and worked the day before.  If the unit wasn't turning on then I could see the battery but since it turns on no problem I just didn't think the battery could be the problem.  I might have to buy a new battery and transducer and see if one fixes the issue.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2018, 11:53 AM »
The battery is fully charged and worked the day before.  If the unit wasn't turning on then I could see the battery but since it turns on no problem I just didn't think the battery could be the problem.  I might have to buy a new battery and transducer and see if one fixes the issue.

I would chat with Marcum ...call...Email ..PM them via FaceBook..did you check your battery with a volt meter ?...if the voltage drops past 11 volts...can cause issues w/analog flasher ...thinking digitals even worse. How old is the battery ?

Offline Hookerhooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:02 PM »
I have a lx3, worked great shallow but not deep. Found bad wire right at battery connection, fixed it, now works like a charm for Lakers deep. Just because it works doesn't mean it works right

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Battery is 4 years old

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Battery is 4 years old

Will the unit turn on with the charger hooked up to the battery ?

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2018, 04:12 PM »
I would echo the check the battery  first with a volt meter comments.

My lx6 wasn't reading anything with the wide cone after the transducer fell off from my chair and hit the ice. Marcum replaced the transducer when I sent it in for warranty work and it's working like a charm again

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:41 PM »
I have a Marcum LX-6 that has worked flawlessly until yesterday.  The unit powers on but doesn't actually do anything.  The transducer makes the clicking noise like it is working but doesn't read anything.  I have disconnected battery, checked all wires, disconnected and reconnected all plugs.  I don't have another transducer to see if that is the problem and I hate to spend all that money just to see if it's the problem.  Has anyone else ever had this issue? Any ideas?

I literally had the exact same problem with my LX7 earlier this season, EXACTLY as you are describing. Swapped out batteries and no fix. Contacted Marcum and they said to send it in. So that's what I did.

I'm now on day 13 without my flasher and just today I received an email stating "We anticipate your unit being repaired in about one week, and then will be returned to you."

Talk about disappointing. Picked up an Flx28 in the meantime and will likely not go back to another Marcum unit when it finally comes back.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:35 PM »
I had a bad ducer on my 7...same issue as you. Had to send it in.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:22 PM »
It sounds like a transducer to me.  My LX7 will just shut off if the battery gets too low.  Marcum customer service is very good and definitely are willing to work with you.  Every company does have issues from time to time and eventually need to have some work done on them.  The digital picture is so much clearer with the LX6 and LX7 vs the flashers.  Good luck

Offline BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Is there anything on the screen when you turn it on?  Could you put into into demo mode to make sure the head unit is working?

It sounds like your transducer is getting power since it is "clicking".... so I don't think your battery is bad.  Unfortunately I think it's your transducer.  Can you try a transducer from a friend or even a local store?

It's getting to be prime time around here, so that's got to be frustrating.  Hopefully you don't mind tip-ups in the meantime.  :tipup:

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:46 AM »
This is from the.... cough....hack.... Vexilar website......(a joke,... I am not anti Vexilar, just prefer Marcum)

"If the transducer always clicks yet you still only get a light at the top, the transducer has probably lost its sensitivity.  Unfortunately there is no fix for this and is best to replace the transducer."

If it's not the  battery,  this is the likely issue. An issue experienced by more then just Marcum. And you could have damaged the transducer yourself. Hook a fish, get excited, pull the transducer out of the he and throw it to the side. You can say you never do that, and maybe that's true. But I've seen the pros on YouTube do the exact same thing. One would think they would know better.

Also from Vexilar site....

"The biggest "killer" of transducers is impact damage."

May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:36 AM »
Battery is 4 years old

I would test the voltage..a 4 year old battery which not properly maintained ...ie ch arged each and every outing...or an older unit sitting on a shelf for a year or more ...put into service ..for 4 years ... could mean a 5-6 year old battery or a faulty charger ..Marcum chargers are notorious for this .

https://marcum.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/288#gs=eyJndWlkZUlEIjo1LCJxdWVzdGlvbklEIjo5LCJyZXNwb25zZUlEIjo4OCwiZ3VpZGVTZXNzaW9uIjoiSFRueEdRQm4iLCJzZXNzaW9uSUQiOiJfRmttR1FCbiJ9

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2018, 10:29 AM »
90% of sonar issues are battery related.

the lx6/7/9 has a volt meter built-in. it's part of the hud system. it will tell fractions of a volt. you should use it to see how many volts it has. it should start with 12.7 volts. it should remain very close to that voltage for some time and slowly fade after it's turned on. if it is closer to 12 volts when you turn it on, then the battery is worn out. batteries fade away with charging like ni-cads do. they are fast to take a charge and fast to lose it is how you know it's time for new.
you can leave it on and watch how fast the battery drains as a load test.

run the floor test to see if the transducer is shot. clicking is the emitter section of the transducer not the receiver section.

there is another topic where only one side is functioning for another person. this is from impacting it. not taking care of the crystal is why this happens. or cutting a wire. or not having it installed tightly.

slowly loosing it's sensitivity over time is the norm for them. not working one day and not the next. you were there and know more than any of us what happened. do a visual inspection of the ducer cable and make sure every thing is tight. try flipping over the battery connectors so they get a different bite on the battery. try a factory reset if all else fails.

let us know what you discover.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2018, 10:57 AM »
A lot of blah blah from Marcum.  you want to find out if the battery is really up to snuff, do a load test on it if you have a load tester or take it to your local battery shop, most will do it for free.   I've seen many a battery after being charged for a day, the charger turns green or says ok, you go to use it and poof, jack schitt.  It's known as surface charge, it will give you well over 12.6 volts on a volt meter but as soon as you put a load on it, it drops.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2018, 11:17 AM »
A lot of blah blah from Marcum.  you want to find out if the battery is really up to snuff, do a load test on it if you have a load tester or take it to your local battery shop, most will do it for free.   I've seen many a battery after being charged for a day, the charger turns green or says ok, you go to use it and poof, jack schitt.  It's known as surface charge, it will give you well over 12.6 volts on a volt meter but as soon as you put a load on it, it drops.
it's a little early in the day, wouldn't you think lol, but i am not from marcum. it is a very nice compliment tho, thanks so much!

i told the man how to do a load test w/o leaving his home and w/o asking for help from yet another place. and i gave him the explanation you did. must be if you say it it sounds better.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2018, 11:27 AM »
, but i am not from marcum.

3300 - the frequent confusion is probably related to the image tagged with your posts.  It looks official. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:49 PM »
3300 - the frequent confusion is probably related to the image tagged with your posts.  It looks official.
thanks for the input!

every one likes to use their gear for signature banners (that knows how and wants to do so) here, so i am no different. right now it is harder for many to get them back like they used to have before the photobucket collapse.

take a look at my profile image and wording under it now and that should help with any confusion. i would have been offended if i were a sponsor here tho, like marcum is.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:00 PM »
haha love the " not affiliated Marcum tech sig"..lol.you have lots of knowledge on them is all..

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2018, 02:11 PM »
Will the unit turn on with the charger hooked up to the battery ?

YES! I found that it will work properly if the charger is hooked up to the battery.  I assume this means bad battery? I just bought a new battery to try that out.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:10 PM »
YES! I found that it will work properly if the charger is hooked up to the battery.  I assume this means bad battery? I just bought a new battery to try that out.

I am leaning toward the battery for sure ...but check all the connections ...should the new battery not fix the woes ..let us know how it works out for you.

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:37 PM »
I agree with the battery or the fuse inline with the charger. My LX-7 was doing some funky things when the voltage was too low. Check out your fuse and then the battery with the volt meter. My battery was running in the low 11’s last time out after charging all night. The display (vexiliar circle) either wasn’t reading anything at all, or was entirely lite up, think disco ball. Turned out that the inline fuse was blown. Replaced that, battery charged right up and everything is back to normal.

Lesson learned...always start with the basics.

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:43 AM »
I replaced the battery and now it is working properly again.  I thought I would let everyone know.  Thanks for the advise guys!

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:34 AM »
That’s great news!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.