Author Topic: eskimo grizzly  (Read 3514 times)

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
eskimo grizzly
« on: Dec 24, 2017, 03:59 AM »
Anybody running this sled yet? i was wondering how the assembly goes.....tricks,tips...... general likes and dislikes.

thanks for any info

fieds

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: eskimo grizzly
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2017, 05:35 AM »
Use the SEARCH  function ..there are several threads on the new Grizzly and Sierra .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2017, 09:36 PM »
thanks, i've scoured what's out there. getting antsy waiting for mine to arrive in the mail. no show yet. was hoping to hear new owners experiences like, "greatest thing since sliced bread".

fieds

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Putting it together isn't real bad , Haven't fished out of it yet but real excited to. I sat in one several times at a ice show and really liked it

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:24 AM »
I did find one user review on amazon dated 12/27/17; stated that the pins in the quick releases will fall out; that wasn't too encouraging. no response from Eskimo at the time of the review.

Get mine delivered today by Cabelas "free shipping". its coming via 53 foot long semi-tractor that cant get to my house so I have to meet and haul home. not exactly free......and dang cold!!! :o

feids

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:52 PM »
I sold a Clam Jason Mitchell Voyager Thermal X so I could buy an Eskimo Grizzly.  I like how the sled is open without the bar running down the middle for the seats like on the Clam.  I also like how strong the sled seems to be built compared to the Clam.  The Grizzly was very easy to put together and seems pretty well built.  I was not impressed with the tracking kit as it looks like it will not hold up that well, but time will tell on that.  The house did not come with a tow rope nor does it say where you should install one.  I still haven't decided where I will drill the holes to attach the pull rope, but decided to support it with flat iron sandwiched around the sled.  Since buying it I installed Clam led sled lights and bait bucket.  I have not used it yet but plan on it next week.  The seats seem like they will be the most comfortable out there in a flip house.  The sled is large and holds plenty of gear which I have already put in mine.  I did buy it thinking it was only 22" high when collapsed so it would fit under a box cover plus a little extra for the tracking kit.  When I got done building mine it is 24" high collapsed, which Eskimo Customer Service did not have an answer for.  They did tell me I could replace the bolts on the curved bottom bar with quick release pins (like the ones on trailer ball hitch locks) so I could lower the bars for storage.  Hopefully I like it as much as I did my Clam.  If the Clam did not have the bar running down the center of the sled it would have been the perfect house for Me. 

jr50

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:30 AM »
I used mine the other day for the first time , this flip is the cats arse . One thing I did learn after I drilled holes LOL don't drill then out by the door , its about 5 ft. for the sled to the door , we ended up drilling holes closer to the sled so we wasn't stretching to reach the holes . the fishable area is 28 ft. which is almost an area that is 6 ft. X 5 ft. . I am really liking the outfit , a buddy stopped and looked at mine while we fished and said he needed a shack just like mine LOL , he then stopped by when we folded it up to leave and all he could say is dang that even folds up easy and said he will own one .
I hope this helps anyone thinking about one . If you see one out on the ice set up go look at it and chat with the owner . If you see me out on the ice I will let you sit in it to see how great it is . I do not work for eskimo in any way shape or form.

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:58 PM »
I just got mine 95 percent assembled. Happy but not. The poles collapsed are outside the profile of the sled. I had a shoremaster voyager that was tall enogh to stand in with good margin and everything was no wider than the sled. This made transporting options with straps very easy. Going to have  to be careful and long term im sure a pole or two are going to get bent. I think i would have passed on this model if i would have noticed that. Tow attachments who knows but i knew those drawbacks. Once deplowed its the taj mah hall so thats very cool.

Reeds in walker has this on sale for 699.00 i saw online today, figures,

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Reeds sale must have been short or a mistake, i see the price is back up to 849.00 this morning

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:02 PM »
got the grizz out for the first time tonight, no fish. first impressions liked how easy this large shelter was to set up and take down. I only had a buddy heater with one pound bottle. its only 14 degrees here and windy but it did alright. if I would have had the lantern with I probably would have been fishing in my t-shirt.

down sides...there are custom mods to be done for sure. the side poles don't have Velcro straps to secure the sides so the shelter flaps quite a bit. trip to the awning/tarp shop is in the future. my buddies clam x4 has these and they're nice. i'm also going to rig up some computer fans for the poles connected to a battery box to even out the heat distribution.

theres only single spreader poles, i'm going to order another set, having support in the corners is important for windy days.

for now I've left the rubber seal/grommet off the rear of the sled, I want to be able to tuck the entire shelter into the sled including the skirt. this i'll be evaluating for a few more trips, high speed towing etc... although with the seal installed this may be possible anyway, its been too darn cold here--1st day above -20 all weekend--to really evaluate.

no factory hitch/tow rope points like the otter.

all in all i'm going to really like this flip but in my opinion Eskimo missed a walk-off home run with this one.

its a sharp looker and I would recommend it to someone that is in the market for a thermal, just some personal touches to be done.

fieds

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:47 AM »
The only complaint is  when I tried loading it into my suburban and found out it is much wider than the dimensions listed.  It is right around 45" wide and 24" tall.  I like having a suburban to put my gear in and having everything out of the elements.  In my vehicle if I load my house and auger the auger is rubbing against the house and will damage the sled driving on rough roads.  I contacted Eskimo customer service and they stated when they measured the house for the collapsed dimensions they did not take into account for the poles when folded which is why it is taller and wider than stated.  I informed CS the reason I bought the house is because of the dimensions thinking it would fit in my suburban and store in my garage easily.  Had I known the real dimensions I would not have bought it.  As much as I like the house it is too big when packed to fit my mode of transportation.  Only reason for this rant is for others to be aware of when buying. 

I took my Grizzly out fishing one day so far.  Set up is very easy with this house and it breaks down just as easy.  The seats are easy to remove and re install as I went alone and did not need the 2nd seat.  There was about a 20mph wind and it held up great and I barely had to use the heater except to break the chill after opening the door to visit others.  The house pulls very easily across snow and ice with the tracking kit installed so I am happy with that.  As stated above there is plenty of room.  The zippers on the windows are unnecessary but is a cool addition. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.