Author Topic: Opinions on Propane Augers..  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Opinions on Propane Augers..
« on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:53 AM »
My buddy picked a Jiffy propane auger up last year and it worked awesome!! We used like a tank and a half though our the whole year and we went like every weekend. Anyone use any other propane augers. I was looking at the Eskimo rocket propane ones.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Opinions on Propane Augers..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:06 AM »
I love my jiffy pro 4, no issues over last 4 years

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:10 AM »
Heard good things about the Jiffy and now hearing the same thing about the P1 from Eskimo.
<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:17 AM »
They are a valid option for sure, one of many...

Start to end, history of answers for ice holes...

Stick with rock tied to it
Axe
Spud
Spoon auger
Chainsaw
Regular hand augers
Gas auger
Electric auger (12V)
Electric auger (proprietary battery V)
Propane auger
Electric drill auger

<°)))>{

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:28 AM »
I have a jiffy pro4 I won as a grand prize at a V.A. Tournament in the u.p. 5 years ago. The original owner laid it on the wrong side and the oil drained out and he blew the motor up. It was rebuilt and he gave it to the tournament. I have ran 2 or 3 tanks a winter through it using it sometimes 6 days a week. All I have done to it was changed the oil at the start of the season and it has never ran doggy or anything less than first day I operated it. I haven't even sharpened my stealth chipper blades yet but it still rips through the ice. The only thing i have to add as a negative it they are obviously heavy compared to a drill setup and I have the second generation pro4 and had an issue with the fuel line cracking until I got the correct replacement part. The problem has since been mitigated in the gen 3 and newer models

Offline BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:55 AM »
I've had the Jiffy Pro 4 Lite for 5 years now.  I prefer it over other options for a few reasons:

-Strikemaster Mag 2000 leaked gas and made my car in college smell
-I didn't like mixing oil/gas and bringing an extra can with
-No carb issues and virtually no tuning
-I already have 1 lbs. propane cans for my heater, so I always have backup containers

I did have to replace my original auger when it was still under warranty, but from what I was told it was a rare issue.  I tuned the carb to run a little more smooth, but haven't had any issues with starting.  Eventually the carb started leaking propane slowly after the engine stopped running.  I just took off the propane bottle after I was done and was fine with it for a few years. I finally put on a ball valve on the gas line to prevent any gas from leaking and it's good to go.

If I were to buy an auger today, I would consider an electric one, but I think it would be a toss up since the electric ones are spendy.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:46 PM »
My issue with the jiffy was the bottle holder,still trying to think of how to make it better.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2017, 01:44 AM »
I've had the Jiffy Pro 4 Lite for 5 years now.  I prefer it over other options for a few reasons:

-Strikemaster Mag 2000 leaked gas and made my car in college smell
-I didn't like mixing oil/gas and bringing an extra can with
-No carb issues and virtually no tuning
-I already have 1 lbs. propane cans for my heater, so I always have backup containers

I did have to replace my original auger when it was still under warranty, but from what I was told it was a rare issue.  I tuned the carb to run a little more smooth, but haven't had any issues with starting.  Eventually the carb started leaking propane slowly after the engine stopped running.  I just took off the propane bottle after I was done and was fine with it for a few years. I finally put on a ball valve on the gas line to prevent any gas from leaking and it's good to go.

If I were to buy an auger today, I would consider an electric one, but I think it would be a toss up since the electric ones are spendy.

Ya that what I have is a Strikemaster Mag 2000 and it also leaks gas. I got a wicked deal on it last year at a garage sale so I'm going to tune it up fix it and sell it I think for a propane so I don't have to worry about gas, the weight of it, mixing and stuff. I pretty much got it for free so it'll be a good deal.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:52 AM »
i got  a demo model jiffy pro 4 lite direct from jiffy.1st one I got had a blown engine.went a few rounds with jiffy customer service and got them to exchange powerheads.my jiffy starts easy in 1 or 2 pulls but ive only drilled 5 holes with it due to no ice last year.its pretty fast but I keep thinking if it don't start on the ice im screwed because theres not much I can do to start it.theres no choke,primer to fiddle with.i do have a few drops of oil coming out of the carb and its been sitting upright on my auger stand.time will tell I guess.i bought a 5 inch bit along with a 8" for it so it should rip and its light weight too.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:59 AM »
I have a pro 4 - 10". The 2nd generation. They start easy and don't stink of fuel. I run mine for about 4 years when the delivery hose started to leak. I replaced it with a newer hose but in the process damaged a gasket on the carb. Long story short I haven't ordered the gasket so it hasn't run since last year. It turned the 10" bit fine except when it was anywhere around 0°F or colder, 1lb propane bottles don't deliver fuel good at all when it is that cold. I have a few other augers that run fine so I'm in no hurry to fix.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Started out with a 6” Mora, moved to SM mag 3000, sold and bought a Jiffy pro 4. Love it. Having said that maybe when I grow up I will get an electric auger?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:24 PM »
My uncle purchased the Eskimo HC40 propane over the Jiffy. He's loved it so far. Not sure why he went with the Eskimo over the Jiffy.

I think I'll just stick with my Mako for now. Never have to worry about too low of temperatues or keeping a battery warm. Though if I do upgrade I'll be going the electric route. Probably an Ion or a K-Drill.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Had a Jiffy white lightning for 15 years no issue other than the cap. Got the new cap and never looked back till we got Whiskey in our gas.  Upgraded to a Strikemaster lazer a couple years ago before the electric rage went full bore. I run pre mix in it so no worry's about corn. The thing is a beast cutting ice and weight wise is a bit lighter than the old jiffy. Store the carb wet and drain gas as recommended and pull it out now and then and start it. For the little bit I use. pre mix is the way to go High octane Stabilized and no corn.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:58 PM »
I've had my Eskimo HC40 auger for 2 years & love it. ;)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2017, 07:09 AM »
Jiffy Pro 4, 10" here.  I use it for anything over a foot of ice.  It cuts great, uses very little propane, and I already have tanks on hand for my heater.  Change the oil once a season, and no problems so far.

A few drawbacks:
1)It's heavy.  I don't have a snow machine, so that makes it hard getting around on foot.

2)It does ice up on really cold days, and then it doesn't cut well. Once the ice melts off the blades, no problem.

3)The throttle cable sticks sometimes, due to the angle it's engineered at.  Required some adjustment.

Now I'm leaning toward an electric setup with my M18 fuel.  But that will be 8" and 6".  If you need a 10" hole, I'd recommend the Pro 4.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Been using Jiffy Pro4 for last 5 years with no problems.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2017, 10:10 PM »
 I bought a recond. jiffy pro 4 lite and took it out for the first time tonight. Doesnt seem to have the power that my jiffy 30 did. As soon as i apply weight downward, the auger slows and almost stops...then when i get near the bottom of the hole the auger stops and i have to lift up and back down to punch through and finish. Does this seem right or is there something wrong.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2017, 10:15 PM »
Yup, its a Jiffy. Having the same issue. When I put new blades on I think I changed the trueness of the flat head piece the blades attach to.  It's on my to do list.
Thread killer

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2017, 08:26 AM »
I bought a recond. jiffy pro 4 lite and took it out for the first time tonight. Doesnt seem to have the power that my jiffy 30 did. As soon as i apply weight downward, the auger slows and almost stops...then when i get near the bottom of the hole the auger stops and i have to lift up and back down to punch through and finish. Does this seem right or is there something wrong.
a jiffy 30 is a 3hp the pro4 lite is 2hp..but mine does not stop when drilling a hole.dont apply downward pressure and let the auger do the work.you are bogging it down doing so.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2017, 08:47 AM »
When the ice was 28"+ on Erie a few years ago, my dad and I picked up a Pro 4 Lite.  We loved it.  Seems to run forever on a tank of propane and we didn't notice any bogging down or anything.  This year, I setup the standard Nils/M18 Fuel combo, so we'll see how that works.  We don't drill a ton of holes, so we may end up letting that Jiffy go.

Offline parker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2017, 07:54 AM »
Just got the Eskimo P1 at the beginning of this season. Simply an amazing auger. Light and super fast.
is there anything better than a day on the ice?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2017, 10:06 AM »
I've had a Jiffy pro 4  now for a few years. Didn't buy one of the first generation ones. I've had no problems at all,we cut a ton of holes and I think we average 2-3 propane bottles a year. It's been a great machine. Change the oil every year and keep a check on it through out the season. It destroys ice,just let it do its thing. The only drawback is its weight. Since I'm older and had heart surgery,I have a sled just for it. I just drag it all over the ice and cut 20-30 every time out. I did buy a powerful drill to convert a hand augur,I like it because of the lightness.

Offline JPBIRD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Bought a Jiffy Pro 4 Lite demo model, put it together as instructed and started it up.  Starts and idles like a champ, however, give it too much throttle and it shuts off.  Decided to try drilling some holes with it last night to see how it performed under load, there is a target zone on the throttle of about 1/16" to get enough power to drill, any more throttle it will die....any less it won't drill, hit the sweet spot and it cuts like butter but it is impossible to hold in that tiny target zone through the entire hole drill.  The service guys at Jiffy/Feldman are telling me I likely need a carb adjustment, possibly running too rich, I can either return it to them or take to a service center, definitely not sending it to them if they couldn't get it right to begin with.  Seems like a pretty simple adjustment but I'm not sure if I should be taking the carb apart myself to find the right screw to adjust air mixture given it's on warranty.  It's definitely not the idle screw, I know that much.  Anyone know anything about these propane engine carburetors, or have experienced a similar problem?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Bought a Jiffy Pro 4 Lite demo model, put it together as instructed and started it up.  Starts and idles like a champ, however, give it too much throttle and it shuts off.  Decided to try drilling some holes with it last night to see how it performed under load, there is a target zone on the throttle of about 1/16" to get enough power to drill, any more throttle it will die....any less it won't drill, hit the sweet spot and it cuts like butter but it is impossible to hold in that tiny target zone through the entire hole drill.  The service guys at Jiffy/Feldman are telling me I likely need a carb adjustment, possibly running too rich, I can either return it to them or take to a service center, definitely not sending it to them if they couldn't get it right to begin with.  Seems like a pretty simple adjustment but I'm not sure if I should be taking the carb apart myself to find the right screw to adjust air mixture given it's on warranty.  It's definitely not the idle screw, I know that much.  Anyone know anything about these propane engine carburetors, or have experienced a similar problem?
I also bought a demo model last year,same auger.mine ended up arriving with a stuck valve and cracked cylinder,i wanted a replacement power head.simple enough to just exchange.i asked how did this motor make it out of theuir service department like this..inspected my @ss.was told to take it to a service department.went round and round with a guy at jiffy thru email to just exchange..finally I had enough and called them and got the nicest lady and she said it shoudve never came to that and she would send another powerhead out right away.it really depends on who you talk to with jiffy customer service.my new powerhead runs like it should.you bought a demo model that went thru inspection so it should run right out of the box.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:49 PM »
if you have a power vehicle that you use to move you from spot to spot, they are nice.  but the thing is the heaviest auger i've ever used. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.