The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best resort for sleeper for outta stater  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
Best resort for sleeper for outta stater
« on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:28 PM »
From Iowa. Come up and go on a sleeper every year. Tried Mille lacs 5-6 times, hunter Winfield’s, and the wharf. Been going west to big stone lake last year and in 2 weeks. Might come back up in feb and wanna catch walleyes in sleeper shacks. Sounds like red lake or lake of the woods might be the ticket. That’s where I was leaning anyway. I guess I’m asking people of Minnesota, if you could go anywhere in a sleeper to catch walleyes where would it be in Minnesota? Thank you and good luck this winter.

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best resort for sleeper for outta stater
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:58 AM »
You would be good with either Red Lake or LOW.  The Walleye possession limit is lower at Red than Low if that matters to you.  I have also found the rentals are a little less expensive on Red.
I usually end up on Red, mainly because its about an hour closer to my house, but if that didnt matter I would rather go to Low.

Offline Jazzy_Rugger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:18 AM »
If you are going to make the drive to Red go the extra 2 hours to LOW it is worth it, especially if you cant make it up for early ice. 

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:22 AM »
I made a trip to LOW couples years back in mid February. The bite was really slow. Locals told us February  is the worst month.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:39 PM »
I've gone to LOW 3 times in the beginning of Feb and its always been slow. I really need to go at a different time and those bad experiences, in terms of fish numbers, out of my head.

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:06 PM »
How is it in early March I wonder? Low is about a 10 hours drive for us. We just got back from big stone on west side of state and did very well. Caught limit of perch every day. Wanna go find some walleyes though. Been there and done that with Mille lacs.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:40 PM »
Can't go wrong on lake of the woods have always been there week of christmass or march. Have always done good in both times. We rented a sleeper last year. It was out about 5 miles. Never really got in the fish so I took the portable to a spot I was a couple of years earlier and torched them up there. (We were 21 miles out in the truck on a reef). Any questions pm me I know a great guide up there I would highly recommend. Supper guy and nice sleepers. Slept 4 very comfortly. Nothing like a fish fry on the ice.   Mark :tipup:

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Can't go wrong on lake of the woods have always been there week of christmass or march. Have always done good in both times. We rented a sleeper last year. It was out about 5 miles. Never really got in the fish so I took the portable to a spot I was a couple of years earlier and torched them up there. (We were 21 miles out in the truck on a reef). Any questions pm me I know a great guide up there I would highly recommend. Supper guy and nice sleepers. Slept 4 very comfortly. Nothing like a fish fry on the ice.   Mark :tipup:

Sent pm

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:01 PM »
We will be heading up to LOW next Wednesday.  Will be there for 3 days and nights.  We used Fred's beds last year and will do the same this year.  We caught about 3 dozen over the 3 days not all keepers but had a great time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.