The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: New guy in town - looking for a little help from the locals Western Mass  (Read 2492 times)

Offline MichiganMike

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi all,

New to Western Mass and excited about all that the lakes have to offer.  Just looking for a little guidance and possibly some fishing buddies.  I'm interested in all species, including those that we dont get in Michigan (bass, perch, bluegill, sunfish, crappy, pike) where I'm from.  Let me know if you can help a brotha out.  FYI - I have a stupid amount of premium bourbon and cuban cigars, so you might want to fish with me lol.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Welcome to the board! Use to live in Western MA, now I am in Central MA (closer to the ocean)... It is not finalized yet, but it looks like I will be giving an Ice Fishing Seminar on the evening of February 15th at the Rowe Public Library (North Western MA), I will post the info as we get closer... Also watch for the Barton Cove gathering that happens every year, a good time...

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
You had me at bourbon and cigars... now what was it that you were asking?  Oh yeah, first change that name, us Massholes don't take kindly to foreigners...  Jokes aside, how far west?  Bass can pretty much be found anywhere,  and pike don't exist in this state  :whistle:.  I think you need to get up to ten posts or something like that to send someone a private message,  when you do, hit me up if you have more specific inquiry's and we can go over some details without spot burning or pissing anyone off.  Welcome...
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline MichiganMike

• IceShanty Rookie
You had me at bourbon and cigars... now what was it that you were asking?  Oh yeah, first change that name, us Massholes don't take kindly to foreigners...  Jokes aside, how far west?  Bass can pretty much be found anywhere,  and pike don't exist in this state  :whistle:.  I think you need to get up to ten posts or something like that to send someone a private message,  when you do, hit me up if you have more specific inquiry's and we can go over some details without spot burning or pissing anyone off.  Welcome...

Thanks for the reply!  I can change my name (I wont), but it doesnt change where I'm from.  All I can is.. dont get outfished by this Michigan boy and you'll be fine haha

I'm in Westfield but have no problem driving a hour to fish.  Figure that posting actual lake info for public consumption was not going to happen... which is expected and fine.  I love perch fishing and would definitely like to get into some rainbows. 

Offline MichiganMike

• IceShanty Rookie
ill work on getting my posts up

Offline MichiganMike

• IceShanty Rookie
Welcome to the board! Use to live in Western MA, now I am in Central MA (closer to the ocean)... It is not finalized yet, but it looks like I will be giving an Ice Fishing Seminar on the evening of February 15th at the Rowe Public Library (North Western MA), I will post the info as we get closer... Also watch for the Barton Cove gathering that happens every year, a good time...

Thanks for the info.  Ill keep my eyes peeled for your post regarding the seminar.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
welcome, did you say cuban cigars?

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you are willing to schlep to the Town of Savoy (in the NW corner of the State), I would be happy to show you some ponds out that way (which are usually among the earliest to ice up and the last to ice out).

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
Welcome. There's some good fishing out there, but don't expect much in the way of solitude!

Hopefully some waters are fishable soon. My sister-in-law lives in Richmond and their tiny farm pond isn't even frozen yet.

Offline MichiganMike

• IceShanty Rookie
welcome, did you say cuban cigars?

ohhh yeah.  I am part of some online groups and the source of my cigars are people who live the cigar life 24/365.. they have connections and way too many.  I tend to trade my rare and collectible bourbons for them.  I have way too much of both. 

Offline MichiganMike

• IceShanty Rookie
If you are willing to schlep to the Town of Savoy (in the NW corner of the State), I would be happy to show you some ponds out that way (which are usually among the earliest to ice up and the last to ice out).

would definitely be willing to make that drive.  I have heard that the early ice is that direction.  Ill PM for info once Im able

Offline MichiganMike

• IceShanty Rookie
Welcome. There's some good fishing out there, but don't expect much in the way of solitude!

Hopefully some waters are fishable soon. My sister-in-law lives in Richmond and their tiny farm pond isn't even frozen yet.

Thanks for the reply!  Solitude with ice fishing isn't common anyways.. Though I expect a nice large pop-up shanty for Christmas.. will be nice to get out of the cold for a change. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac

When did you talk to the in-laws?  I'd venture a guess that the farm pond is frozen at this point.  Maybe not enough to support a person but should be locked up.
westernmas on the finder

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm in Westfield but have no problem driving a hour to fish.  Figure that posting actual lake info for public consumption was not going to happen... which is expected and fine.  I love perch fishing and would definitely like to get into some rainbows.

I grew up in Westfield, recently moved to Southwick.  Shoot me a PM with what you want to fish for and I can recommend some places.  You should def plan on driving an hour plus for at least a month until some of the bodies of water closer to home lock up.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
PMaloney...my sis-in-law put a picture up on Facebook of their snowy barn a couple days ago and I commented grumpily that all that pretty snow was impeding ice growth. She commented with something like "I know! The pond isn't even frozen over yet!" I bet you're right though that it's at least skimmed.

I'm hoping for Worcester area by Christmas. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Offline Jwise

• Team IceShanty Regular
welcome! Im in Easthampton we can all go out soon hopefully!

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
https://www.mass.gov/service-details/find-freshwater-fishing-spots

Check out the pond maps section for places to fish and what type are in that body of water.

Offline MichiganMike

• IceShanty Rookie
welcome! Im in Easthampton we can all go out soon hopefully!

Nice man!  youre close.  I hear good things about early ice in our area, so lets hope its soon!!!!  keep me updated and ill do the same.  Maybe we will cross paths.

Offline MichiganMike

• IceShanty Rookie
https://www.mass.gov/service-details/find-freshwater-fishing-spots

Check out the pond maps section for places to fish and what type are in that body of water.

this is incredible info.  Thanks a lot, man.  I love it!!!!

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike and few walleye bartons cove mostly panfish bass and pickerel up here trout through the ice is good if you know what your doing and try quabog once it freezes heard some nice fish caught out of there last winter

Offline jeffice

• IceShanty Rookie
After mentioning bourbon and cigars, just go to a lake and yell, "I'm Michigan Mike". I'm sure you'll be fishing with many people and learn the lakes in no time.😊
In it for the fight.  Catch and Release

Offline JneedsNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
I’m also new to western MA. Great Barrington. Would love some advice! Definitely up for a meet up or just some good old fashion pointers. I was a frequent ADK’r (and still plan on going!) but this is my new backyard and hear it might have something to offer. Thanks!

Offline Mike57

• IceShanty Rookie

Hi I live in East Otis here a pic of the Res yesterday if it stay cold like this now we will be ice fishing very soon I hope😁🐟

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity

When i caught my pb pike it was single digits and blowing 20-25...3 other people fishing.  Plenty of solitude.  There are a number of smaller berk spots that are lightly fished.

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
When i caught my pb pike it was single digits and blowing 20-25...3 other people fishing.  Plenty of solitude.  There are a number of smaller berk spots that are lightly fished.

You will want to translate the below Into Russian. LMAO

Eto Moye Ozero

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
You will want to translate the below Into Russian. LMAO

Eto Moye Ozero

tylko w lecie

Just add water.

Offline fishrdye51

• IceShanty Rookie
Welcome to the shanty and Westfield. I also live in town but fish mostly in the Berkshires. My daughter who is my regular fishing partner is now in the Air Force currently stationed in Wyoming so l would love to get out with someone who enjoys the hard water! I am more of a kielbasa and beer guy than cigars and bourbon but I’d give em a try! Would like to get out before the new year if you would like to get together!

Offline Anima1z

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><,))'>
Welcome!  Lots of excellent advice and folks on here.  I am in the Springfield area and always ready to go out.  Usually for Pike, Trout and Bass.  It was nice when they stocked the salmon as we usually caught 1 or 2 a season but no more...  As stated before a great place to start are with the MA DFW pond maps.

Good luck and hope to see you out!

Offline basit325

• IceShanty Rookie
Welcome to the 413. I live in Agawam usually head threw Westfield to catch the masspike. To target pike more west  in the berks.  I'll be heading out every Saturday morning after new years. Pm if ya want to meet up .
Their is a fine line between fishing and sitting there looking stupid.

Offline fishinfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
welcome to the site,tight lines :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.