Author Topic: How to Prevent theft of Alumilite shack  (Read 6974 times)

Offline owtdorsmn

• IceShanty Rookie
How to Prevent theft of Alumilite shack
« on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Looking for ideas on how to prevent the theft of Alumalite shack If/when I leave it at lake .

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How to Prevent theft of Alumilite shack
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Looking for ideas on how to prevent the theft of Alumalite shack If/when I leave it at lake .
Insure it well and don't leave anything in it unattended that you don't want to lose. If someone wants your stuff bad enough they're going to get it.

Seriously. Ice shack theft/vandalism is pretty common because of the environment everything is in. Way out in the middle of a lake, no lights, no cops, etc. That's one of the reasons I've never bought or built a permanent. I work hard for what I have and there's no way I'm leaving 3 Vexilars and thousands in rods, reels, and tackle out there overnight. At that point it's just as big of a pain in the ass to haul everything in and out as having a flip over. My buddy has had his broken into twice and still hasn't learned. I'll fish in it with him but no way am I going to own one or leave my stuff out there.

You could drill holes and freeze chains down in the ice, but a battery powered angle grinder would do that in about 10 seconds.

Just insure it and don't leave anything you can't afford to replace.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:46 AM »
If you anchor it down so they can't take it, they will probably just burn it. Or smash it. Insurance is best option.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:47 AM »
The other side of this coin we're talking about here is..

Even if you manage to secure it well enough, and they can't take it..

They'll probably be pissed off, and destroy it where it sits..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:48 AM »
If you anchor it down so they can't take it, they will probably just burn it. Or smash it. Insurance is best option.

Beat me to it..

<°)))>{

Offline owtdorsmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Yeah...... plan would be to insure it.  I realize theft is always going to be a consideration.  I have had permanents before and never left  anything in them ......actually didnt even lock the door in the beginning until some idiots started using it as a metro. But Being aluminum it cant be burnt down.  Was thinking after I posted and maybe an audible alarm and/or flashing lights.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:10 PM »
I know a guy who mounted a trailcam with an infrared flash in his permy. Really nice picture of the guy who broke into it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:11 PM »
a cellular service enabled trail cam?
Cheese Head

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I know a guy who mounted a trailcam with an infrared flash in his permy. Really nice picture of the guy who broke into it.
  This is a good idea, maybe even a sign too saying "Smile, you're on camera" or something like that to make thieves second guess themselves...

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Or just steal your camera. If you mounted it behind a wall or something?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:00 PM »
Yep, a strong insurance policy is the answer. Really the only surefire thing you can do.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:08 PM »
use a gps tracker. or use an app on a spare cell phone and use the "where's my phone" app. hide the phone inside. you can buy cheap smart phones for 20$. just remember to charge it while your there or swap batteries or hook it to a small sla battery hidden with a usb power source connected to it to keep the battery up.

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:23 PM »
Easy.  Leave a mask, old bloody knife of any large variety, duct tape, and a bloody women's garment or a other creepy things that suggest you use this shack for more than just fishing.  maybe some wall hooks that double as coat/body hangers.  Don't even bother locking the door, that'll be the first thing they damage..

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:28 PM »
You could get a bunch of Thin Ice signs and put them up all around your shack and then get a pump and flood the whole area with water ;)
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:38 PM »
leave a really mean dog inside.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:44 PM »
http://www.soderbloom.com/Alumalitefishhouse.html

They seem to be real light ....I would just remove it each outing ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:03 PM »
Build a moat around it...

:P

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Where are you going to be parking this?

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:09 PM »
Take a big ol dump on the floor when you leave! That'll deter em!

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Depends if you want to prevent the theft or catch them after it happens. Now they have those little tags you can put (hide) in things and be able to track them, so if you go to your shack pretty regularly once you know something is gone you can call the police and say lets go. My opinion is like most, if you can't afford it to be stolen then don't leave it out there. Like they say, a lock only keeps an honest person honest.

Chute82

« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2017, 05:27 AM »
I would contact your insurance company and add comprehensive coverage... comp cov will protect your shelter from vandalism, theft, fire, water, riot, animal strike...it shouldnt cost much a year but having that piece of mind will make sleeping at night much easier...   your flasher,rods and STUFF will fall under your home owners policy... so if some idiot trashes your shelter and steals your STUFF  you’ll have two separate claims... good luck....

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2017, 07:23 AM »
When i used to run a permy, i would park it right in front of the Game wardens house on my local lake, never had a problem with it  ;D

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2017, 07:26 AM »
Thats an easy one..save thousands of dollars by skipping the alumalite, buy a couple portables, a nice big  hub and a nice big flipover, still have like $2,000 in your pocket, and never have a shelter stolen!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2017, 07:58 AM »
Take a big ol dump on the floor when you leave! That'll deter em!

That will happen anyway. At least here in NH, most ice houses broken into are used as toilets.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Mark Wo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2017, 08:35 AM »
I'd make or find a very official looking sign and place it on the front door.  It would say one of two things:

1.  Since the shack probably has to be registered, put a very important person's name on it.  Make that important person a game warden.  Make up a name, and add "Conservation Officer Barney Fife" as the owner.  Naturally pick a better name than Barney Fife.  Or make the name "Joe Blow - Special Operations 1st Calvary".  Governor so and so.  Lots of good choices.

2.  Make/buy a sign that says this place is protected by Video Surveillance. Or better yet, make an official looking sign that informs the would be perp that the door is booby trapped, open at your own risk.

Or put them all on.  Got to be a way to have some fun with the little angels who want t steal from you.

Mark

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:29 AM »
That will happen anyway. At least here in NH, most ice houses broken into are used as toilets.

That's what I was going to say too..

Might as well leave your own, because it might deter others from entering and leaving their own..

<°)))>{

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:34 AM »
That's what I was going to say too..

Might as well leave your own, because it might deter others from entering and leaving their own..

<°)))>{

Lol. Obviously I was joking. Ok.... That joke "stunk" for sure.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:38 AM »

Wow  :o  That's almost unbelievable. If that was the norm here, it would be a big insulated flip taken home after each outing.
How about placing a roll of tp and a bucket with a comfy toilet ring on it just inside the door. With crazy glue on it.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cheese Head

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Wow  :o  That's almost unbelievable. If that was the norm here, it would be a big insulated flip taken home after each outing.
How about placing a roll of tp and a bucket with a comfy toilet ring on it just inside the door. With crazy glue on it.
while the problem is troublesome and this event disgusting, that’s funny right there 😂

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.