Author Topic: Oxygen Depletion...  (Read 523 times)

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
Oxygen Depletion...
« on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:36 AM »
I've been hearing more and more about this as I read about winter time water enviroments.  I was wondering if anyone had any information on it.  From what I have read, the lack of light takes a toll on the plant life and affects the amount of oxygen.  So bad in some lakes that if you put your bait down to certain depths it will kill the live bait in minutes..  just wondering if there is any truth to this and how it may be vital in fish hang outs...  thanks for any help in advance... ;D
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
Re: Oxygen Depletion...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2006, 08:18 AM »
This is most common in farmponds and small lakes with few springs and dependent on inlets and outlets for fresh water.  It can happen in years with thick milky ice or
heavy snow where the light and oxygen can't penetrate to the fish.  There will be dead fish floating come spring.  I saw it firsthand on a small SE Mi lake one winter when two snowmobile clubs showed up and decided to make this mile long lake their homebase.  They packed down every inch of snow so tight that no light or oxygen got through and in the spring their were dead fish everywhere.  Not a concern in this iceless year.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2006, 01:24 PM »
We got some ice that's been around for a while, so I was wondering where the highest concentration of oxygen would be in the water?
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Near inlets, springs, and the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.