Author Topic: 7x8 shanty build  (Read 3795 times)

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 7x8 shanty build
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:11 PM »

Offline jpohlic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:24 PM »
I was out again the other day, this time with a 5" computer fan. Unfortunately the deep cycle battery was completely dead so I didn't get a chance to try it. The battery gave me 8 seasons powering my minnkota trolling motor on my 12' tinner so I hope it was just an old battery and not the solar panel or solar controller that crapped out.

Anyway, my wife and I spent the weekend out there and had a great time. The weather on Saturday was beautiful, we caught about a dozen walleye, and the shack performed great. We played cards and cooked breakfast on the fold down table, and the fold down bed was plenty big enough for two. There isn't a lot of floor space left with the bed down but I had a tip up in one hole all night long.

The wood stove almost cooked us out again. I'm using a cylinder stove and was burning pressed wood firelogs that worked great!! They were the 6 pound blocks from Canawick, about 4"x4"x10", and we got about 7-8 hours of burn time with them with the damper fully closed and the air vent only open a crack. I loaded the stove with one block shortly after midnight, and when I checked it at 6 am there was still about 1/3 of it left. The temp in the shack at that time was 23C at the seat height and I had slept the entire night on top of my sleeping bag, not in it. Overnight temps went down to about -10C.

We did have one block that took a while to light so I threw in a few pieces of cedar and opened the damper and air vents all the way. About 10 minutes later it was burning great and the temp at the ceiling was 41C!! Had to open the door for a bit...

That's it until I head out again...

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:14 PM »
That's awesome !
Hope you enjoy it every chance you get !
Great pictures

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Good to hear the shack works well. How far are you from home to stay the night?

Offline jpohlic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:02 AM »
I'm about 50 minutes from the shack...

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:29 AM »
I've got about seventy miles to the lake. I'll be taking the shack with me every time. Last mountain lake has many places to fish, like to be mobile. Getting anxious to get it done.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:35 PM »
you guys have it rough , i'm 6 minutes away from my hut by ATV ,  makes for some fun trips

Offline jpohlic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:10 PM »
It was a sad day today... we took the shack off the lake.

My wife and I spent 6 weekends camped out on the ice and I was out with the guys another 3 times - that's the most ice fishing I've ever done in one year. We never kept track of how many fish we caught but we had a pretty good season. The walleye in Pigeon Lake are looking really good, lots of variation in size which is nice to see. We didn't catch as many pike as we usually do but I did manage a fat 32" that was pushing 10 lbs. Unfortunately we didn't see a whitefish or burbot all season. I was hoping to take a few whites home for the smoker but it will have to wait for next year.

The shack worked great. The fold down table was perfect for cooking or eating, with lots of room for the flasher and camera, and the fold down Murphy bed kept my wife comfortable and happy - she was surprised that she enjoyed staying out there as much as she did.

I have a few ideas for some minor modifications for next year, nothing major but stay tuned for further updates.

Offline DBerkshire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jul 07, 2018, 12:08 PM »
The more I look at designs for shacks the more I realize this is the style I would like to build mine around. Are there any updates on buildings plans for your shack? If so, I'd love to learn more!

Offline jpohlic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jul 08, 2018, 11:13 PM »
I have the original set of plans that I drew up but I made some changes during the build and have not updated the drawings yet. Initially it was designed to fit through my 7' high garage door but I ended up building it in my dads shop and didn't have to worry about height so we changed some angles and got more headroom. I'll try and get some drawings posted soon.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.