Author Topic: Why do YOU ice fish?  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Why do YOU ice fish?
« on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:21 PM »

So, I've heard a range of reasons, from "I only ice fish because the water's frozen", to "It's my only escape from the family during the Holidays!"

What's YOUR reason?

For me, there's nothing more exhilarating, rewarding, and relaxing than spending a brisk winter day out on the ice alone, or with friends.  It's my way to escape and commune with nature.  And since I don't own a boat, I find ice fishing is the perfect way to access the entire topography of a lake, using strategies for depths, forage, and structure that I can't use fishing from shore. 

Also, there's nothing more exciting than seeing a FLAAAAG!!!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Why do YOU ice fish?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:34 PM »
To me it’s the excitement of chasing down a popped flag and being out there with my buddies. We treat it like summer time grilling, drinking, and having a great time!
Wait there's ice????

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Dad and I fished all the time so we bought a old spoon and started in. Neither of us knew what we were doing. That was about forty years ago, he passed away from lung cancer a couple of years later. Wife went and kids went for years. Now my son in law wants to go full in. He got out once last year. Every time I go I know my dads right there with us.

Offline RednckFishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:38 PM »
for me i icefish as i love fishing and i can fish the spots on the lake i cant reach during soft water as i dont own a boat!

Offline FishDSc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:45 PM »
I enjoy the solitude, the beauty and the mesmerizing wait for the next bite. It is also a blast when my wife comes along!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:53 PM »
I just love to fish, year round. But I do prefer ice fishing. Even though I have a small boat now, it's easier to pack my ice gear than to load up the boat. There's no swarms of bugs, or crowds of people on the shore, or pleasure boats going around. although some lakes have way too many snowmobiles zipping around. I love vertical fishing with sonar, and its not very often that I get to have my boat still enough to effectively do so.

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish all four seasons........ice time da best time
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Fish taste the best when caught thru the ice IMO....later mike ;) @)
"You wanna know how I got these scars......." The Joker

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:10 PM »
I don't play video games but I'm addicted to my flashers! And I love to fish :)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:30 PM »
I ice fish because the water is frozen.  I'm the one who said that. ;D

It's fun and I'm good at it but I have just as much fun on open water, commune with nature on open water, find solitude, etc.

one year I iced on Nov. 4th, then last ice day was June 9th.    but last year I boated on feb 7th, never iced again-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Mr spearer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:50 PM »
I ice fish because i have no boat and chasing flags is a rush. Gets the hart pounding when you see the flags pop up!

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:52 PM »
Same reason I fish during the summer. It's time I can spend with my son doing something he enjoys.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Being from England, we can't ice fish as it never gets cold enough for lakes to be safe to fish.  When I moved to Colorado in 93 my new father in law took me under his wing as such and took me ice fishing!! first time was Dillon for salmon.  As I walked out on to the ice my heart raced as I know this was mental!! walking on a frozen lake to fish what was I thinking?? as we fished  the ice cracked I jumped up out of my chair and ran fast as I could towards the car, with a few people laughing at me I came back and fished.  I still fish with my father in law often and hope to for many many more years, it's just great to get away and clear your head from all the BS of normal life, watching you flasher and the red line get bigger and bigger. FISH ON!!!

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:03 PM »
So I can wear all my fur hats .....I have fur articles made from some of the critters I trap....fisher,coon,beaver,ottter,muskrat,mink.Plus that RUSH of a flag...or a tug on a jig pole...and drinking beer

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:47 PM »
I ice fish because I'm addicted to it, love the winter, snow, cold, and being able to get any where on the lake I want to without having to use a boat.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:48 PM »
I ice fish because the water is frozen.  I'm the one who said that. ;D
You got it!  It's a Slayer original, lol.  ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:50 PM »
I consider myself an angler. I fish according to what the water is doing. If it's frozen I ice fish. If it isn't I get to wear shorts and fish from shore (I also don't have a boat). If it's flowing I get to wade and use flies. If I ever live in a region where it's salty I'll upgrade my ultra-lights and fish for marine fish.

I'm also a gear guy. I think ice fishing has a lot more gear to offer the average fisherman that is still up to date without being ridiculously expensive. 
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:08 PM »
I've got a boat, but there's nothing like sitting on still ice, as if you're sitting in your living room floor, and jigging fishing up swimming right below you.  My first ice fishing experience was when my dad dropped myself and my late brother off at a local lake stocked with trout.  We set out rods down near some abandoned holes, and went sled riding on a hill that we rode onto the lake.  Had a blast.  We would check out rods every once in a while, and my brother caught a nice catfish that we released.  We had to be around 10-12 years old.  I got hooked again a few years ago, and I've caught the ice fishing fever BAD.  I'll never grow up!  :P

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Plus...we play beer shoes on the ice ...while watching the Tip-ups..

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:56 PM »
Bigassbassman that's a great picture, I could see that every day of my life and not get tired of seeing it.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Two reasons for me.
One/ Our winter ice fishing season is almost 7 months long. If I couldn't fish for that long I would go on a shooting rampage!!!!   ;D
Two/ It gives me the opportunity to fish lakes that are only air accessible during the open water season. And there are a lot of them!!!  ;)

https://www.google.ca/maps/@62.5204577,-113.775413,173832m/data=!3m1!1e3

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:07 PM »
Bigassbassman that's a great picture, I could see that every day of my life and not get tired of seeing it.
Thank you!  It was this October up at Maroon Lake, outside of Aspen, CO.  First ice scouting trip of the season. 
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:12 PM »
Plus...we play beer shoes on the ice ...while watching the Tip-ups..
Nice!  What's beer shoes??  Sounds awesome... ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:20 PM »
I enjoy the thrill of the chase, when it seems more time that not the fish " out fishes" me. The ability to find a small lake, or a larger lake away from the noise & the peace it can bring along with the excitement of the catch. Too philosophical? I like screwing around outdoors in the winter...  ;D

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:39 PM »
Nice!  What's beer shoes??  Sounds awesome... ;D

Beer shoes....an ice drinking game .....you take your auger and drill  " pocket " into the ice 5-6 inches deep...then go 25 feet and drill another pocket . Take a snow shovel ..if needed and clear the track between the 2 pockets.Now take a beer can (full ) and stand behind the pocket ....and slide the beer can towards the other hole..kinda like curling ...3 points if you get it in...2 points if it's hanging over the edge ....1 point who evah is closest...go to 21. And if the beer can you slid...develops a leak and starts spraying....you have to guzzle it. GREAT GAME !!!...just think horse shoe or corn hole.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2017, 12:24 AM »
Beer shoes....an ice drinking game .....you take your auger and drill  " pocket " into the ice 5-6 inches deep...then go 25 feet and drill another pocket . Take a snow shovel ..if needed and clear the track between the 2 pockets.Now take a beer can (full ) and stand behind the pocket ....and slide the beer can towards the other hole..kinda like curling ...3 points if you get it in...2 points if it's hanging over the edge ....1 point who evah is closest...go to 21. And if the beer can you slid...develops a leak and starts spraying....you have to guzzle it. GREAT GAME !!!...just think horse shoe or corn hole.

I've always said I don't need no stinking games to drink proper... Also have said I do too much fishing to drink while on the ice...

But that just sounds like a good way to either pass the time while getting skunked, or.. maybe a good way to get skunked while passing time ice fishing?

Either way could be fun! Lol

<°)))>{

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2017, 01:19 AM »
reading this made me realize why i ice fish before i had kids i did it for the fun and the beer
now i do it to see the looks on my boys faces when they see a fish and hopefully  this year they will catch there first throught the ice
i do it so i can spend time with them and teach them
this is my reason

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2017, 02:24 AM »
Partly because it's fun but mostly to give my wife an excuse to warm me up.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #27 on: Nov 16, 2017, 06:12 AM »
Because the boat doesn't work good in the winter .

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2017, 06:24 AM »
Keeps my little family going all year round, fills the freezer and the simplicity of spending time together doing what we love. These are from last year on our trip to Lake of the Woods. Would not have it any other way.

-Kyle

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2017, 06:31 AM »
Spring summer fall chores some times limit the amount of time I get to spend fishing open water. Winter ice time as long as the drive way is cleaned off not much else going on. On most lakes fewer folks lots of times I have the lake to myself love the quiet. Calm cold morning some pretty amazing sun rises!
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.