Author Topic: 8 inch lazer hand auger for drill?  (Read 4896 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
8 inch lazer hand auger for drill?
« on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Hi,
Just saw this auger it's around 100 bucks has any one used them on a drill? Looks like I would need a $20 adapter for it also. How would you prevent it from going down a hole?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 8 inch lazer hand auger for drill?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:41 AM »
Lazers require more torque to turn than a regular Mora.   Think 1200 in-lbs and less battery life.  A clam plate works well for keeping bit from sinking.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline JohnF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Make it a $28 adapter and get an icemaster.  http://icemasteradapter.com/

Mine showed up yesterday so I had to try it out with the new M18 drill.  Drill spun without wobble and the inertia of the stop showed me how the chuck becomes detached.  My wife (rolling her eyes at my total geekiness) laughed when the drill dropped to the cord.  I explained that this was no laughing matter as I would have just lost the auger, you know, if I weren't in the living room and all.  Seemed to have made her laugh more.

But I did test the concept icemaster has going and it works.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Make it a $28 adapter and get an icemaster.  http://icemasteradapter.com/

Mine showed up yesterday so I had to try it out with the new M18 drill.  Drill spun without wobble and the inertia of the stop showed me how the chuck becomes detached.  My wife (rolling her eyes at my total geekiness) laughed when the drill dropped to the cord.  I explained that this was no laughing matter as I would have just lost the auger, you know, if I weren't in the living room and all.  Seemed to have made her laugh more.

But I did test the concept icemaster has going and it works.
The chuck came off, or did it loosen the chuck and the adapter fell out? Either way, not good.

Offline JohnF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2017, 11:36 AM »
The chuck came off, or did it loosen the chuck and the adapter fell out? Either way, not good.

Loosened - auger fell out of the chuck.  Probably how most oops moments occur.  This is the first few moments I had put an auger onto a drill and I had always wondered how real the threat of this happening was.  I really thought I had the chuck tight but obviously not "stop the auger spinning while hanging in the air" tight.

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2017, 12:35 PM »
Use a piece of wood save me several times, cut the wood a few inches longer then the diameter of your auger blade... the through hole has to loose so it don’t spin with the auger

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Ive seen a m18 fuel 750 buzz through 2' with a lazer. Was thinking of this for my setup but after i sell my gas auger i should be able to "reinvest" in a KDrill. Not sure its the absolute best option but its light and will work for where i do the majority of my fishing.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2017, 01:31 PM »
i have the m18/8in lazer setup on a clam plate. Do yourself a favor and take the $20-25 towards an adapter and spend it on the clam plate of which you will not need an adapter to run the lazer. Love this setup for our nebraska ice. never have ran out of battery power with 2 5ah batteries. In fact, only once had to go for the 2nd battery.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2017, 02:10 PM »
Only problem with the Clam plate is that you can't quickly use the drill for an ice anchor adapter...

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Only problem with the Clam plate is that you can't quickly use the drill for an ice anchor adapter...

That's why you get a backup, lol

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:28 PM »
Mrpike1973 I haven't been posting until this season. I'm going to pay it forward. Send me your address and I have a icemaster adapter which is just like the icemaster. It's yours. Email is [email protected]

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:38 PM »
With the clam plate, won’t come off

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:46 PM »

Actually there is if you have access to a welder. you get yourself a extension for the auger plate and then buy a 1/4" drive 9mm deep socket. the socket will just fit inside the end of the extension and you will need to weld the socket in place. this was a design that Jim Kasuda (Ice Team Pro) came up with. to see his posting on this (pictures included) go to iceteam.com and click on the forums then once in the forum area go to the forum that is titled trick your trap & gear, once in this section look for the thread called ice anchor install extension. it will be the second thread in the trick you trap & Gear section.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Just checked to be sure but the new clam plate has a three sided part on top. If you undo the ubolt you can put the anchor tool on.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:15 PM »

I screw my eskimo anchors in by hand-  Piece o cake-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:18 PM »
Just checked to be sure but the new clam plate has a three sided part on top. If you undo the ubolt you can put the anchor tool on.

yes you can do this if you want to remove the drill from the plate to use with the ice anchor install tool but if you don't want to remove the drill from the plate each time then weld up a extension like I explained in my other post here. by use the socket welded in the extension all you have to remove is the auger flighting it self from the extension and then you use it for putting in the ice anchors with the anchor install tool. since the socket is inside the extension you can still use your auger on it too. the other plus to the extension modification is that you don't have to bend over as far to when putting in the ice anchors.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:14 PM »
Thanks Quackpot Email sent thank you very much!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:32 PM »
Hi,
Just saw this auger it's around 100 bucks has any one used them on a drill? Looks like I would need a $20 adapter for it also. How would you prevent it from going down a hole?

I ran one on a Milwaukee brushless fuel drill with 725(in/lbs). It cut fine. If your going to put an auger on a drill and run an 8in you will want a brushless drill and a minimum of 700in/lbs.  In all actual circumstances with the drill setups, the shaver blades actually cut easier and smoother for the drill setups. A $40 Eskimo or strikemaster mora will do the job with great results.

If I was in your shoes, I'd skip the $100 8in lazer with a $20 adaptor and I would pick up a clam plate for $65 with a $40 Eskimo or strikemaster mora. Then for $105 you have the plate and auger which will keep an auger from falling down the hole.

If you have any worries about an 8in.....get a 7in shaver then if you want to make it an 8in you just put 8in blades on it.

Also don't forget to check craigslist for a good used cheap auger.

Here is a video of the setup I made......it is a 5 second video and I believe the ice was about 8in or so.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:07 AM »
Just so I understand the blue Moras are better on the drill? verse the lazers? I do have a milwaukee m18 fuel drill.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:16 AM »
Just so I understand the blue Moras are better on the drill? verse the lazers? I do have a milwaukee m18 fuel drill.
I would go with a strike master laser or step up and get an orange Nils. I wouldn’t let my ex-wife run a Mora on a drill. On second thought, maybe I would let just her.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2017, 01:30 AM »

The less agressive the blade, the easier it turns for the drill. A shaver will be a bit slower then the curved blades cutting......however on a drill it's not much.  If you look at nils augers, they have a black cutting head which is a less agressive blade cutting angle for drills.

I know a lot of guys are running shavers like shackman shoney and others. They are very happy. The shaver I started with worked well.......however I like to tinker......so for some reason right now I have an 8in nils, 8in ThunderBay blazer (lazer), 8in jiffy jet, and a 6in lazer.....

Is your Milwaukee fuel a brushless? How manny In/lbs.?

If you are brushless and 725in/lb + run whatever you want they will work. The only thing I didn't like about my shaver is the blade cover sucked.....cold snap covers on curved blade augers are much nicer.

Here is a videos with the 725 Milwaukee brushless fuel with an 8in nils, then an 8in mora. Then last vid is an 8in finbore (lazer).

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2017, 01:37 AM »
I would go with a strike master laser or step up and get an orange Nils. I wouldn’t let my ex-wife run a Mora on a drill. On second thought, maybe I would let just her.

Why is I that ?

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:25 PM »
I have a 6 inch K-drill now love it just looking for cheap alternative for 8 inch if I need it. I called Kdrill they said and the video showed drilling 2 holes together would work great. I just wish you could use a handle on it but I have never needed it yet. Thanks for the info I may run on to a used one soon.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:31 PM »

Any tangible reason to not like the Moras?  Or just a NILS snob? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Any tangible reason to not like the Moras?  Or just a NILS snob? ;D
I will try to answer both of your questions.

I am definitely a snob. Not necessarily for any brand though. Back in the day when I was in high school a long long long time ago , I built myself a nice little ice fishing sled down in my dad‘s basement and decked it all out with as much as I could scrounge On a teenage budget. My first auger was an 8 inch Mora, might have been a seven, can’t remember. Anyways, the thing never cut right and I would spend all of my energy just trying  to drill a few holes to fish with. Now I realize that my pitch was probably not adjusted right on the blades. Back then, I had no one to show me the ropes and went in on my own and struggled big time. About 15 years after that, I picked up icefishing again and have never looked back. This site has helped me  so much as far as information goes. With the knowledge I have now, a Mora would probably be just fine. I wouldn’t recommend putting one on a drill though because I do think it would have a tendency to skip around a lot and possibly cause  an injury. So, nothing against Mora except that  looking back I almost feel like it took away 15 years of ice fishing  that I should have had. It wasn’t totally my problem though, mostly I was trying to make a living to support my family.Had I known that you could drill holes on the ice as easy as I do now, there is no doubt I would have never let the hobby set on the shelf so long. Sorry for the long story . Have a great day

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2017, 04:20 PM »
We started out with an 8" Mora drilling thru 24" of hard ice up in the mountains.  It worked fine but my Dad got a Strikemaster 8" gas auger in 1991. Rarely used that hand auger again!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2017, 06:07 PM »
Thanks again for the help I have a 6 Inch K drill now and have had A Nils 6 inch The Kdrill I like just a little better little lighter the covers a little bit of a pain but not bad. The Nils is a great auger also I sold it to off set the cost of getting the fuel drill and auger. I personally have never had any luck with strikemaster augers gas or hand. I was thinking the laser might work for once in a while. However might I add Vexilars service is great chatted briefly with a customer rep who said they just use the K drill over lap 2 holes and done end of story. I mostly panfish any way. Lots of tips here. By the way who makes a Finbore auger never heard of it before.

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Brent it's all packaged up and will be sent out tomorrow. I hope you enjoy it and good luck on the ice.
Bobby

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Thank you very much!

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 01, 2017, 06:33 PM »
No problem I have to much stuff for one person.

Since the picture I've added another gas auger and a clam plate with a Dewalt 20volt 6amp battery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.