Author Topic: Attaching jigging lures  (Read 1237 times)

vaughan

• IceShanty Rookie
Attaching jigging lures
« on: Oct 06, 2017, 08:31 PM »
Does anyone use the small swivels or lure attachers instead of tying on every lure change?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • I'd rather be Fishing!

jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Attaching jigging lures
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2017, 08:53 PM »
smaller panfish jigs I tie.

bigger spoons for walleye I just use a snap swivel to keep line twist down. 
Don

missoulafish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Tie, every time.

Brownstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Tie

Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2017, 06:42 AM »
Tried those little quick clips more trouble than they are worth! TIE.
Keep it safe! JDL

hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Tie all horizontal jigs directly Trilene knot  ...although I have come across recommendations for a loop knot for tungsten jigs ..haven't given that a try yet . On spoons most have a split ring or a snap(no swivel) again tie directly to the snap or split ring .I use several rods with different set up/presentations so retying is minimal .

this may help

https://tyepro.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Search%20-%20Brand&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=tyepro&utm_content=TYEPRO%20Branded

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Mittenman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2017, 08:33 AM »
I use a No Knot connector for everything other than teardrop and other very small lures. The one exception for larger lures is jig head lures I tie those directly to the line.

Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2017, 09:05 AM »
I always tie my jigs directly to my line.  On my spinning reels I cut a foot long piece of line off for a leader, tie my jig to the end, and then I connect the leader to my main line with a barrel swivel.  I tired this last year to see if it would help reduce how much my jig spins and it made a noticeable difference.  I tried this with several different jigs and compared them side by side with jigs that were tied directly to the line on another rod.  As for inline reels I just tie my jigs directly to the line.

TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:29 AM »
For panfish jigs I tie direct.  If using a spoon or minnow style bait (rippin rap, jigging rap etc.) I use a small duo lock snap and try to have a swivel a few feet up the line to prevent line twist.  Slender spoons actually come with small duo snaps!  The snaps allow for quick changes and a slightly different action.  Split ring vs. no split ring can change the action slightly as well.

Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:07 AM »
Tie all horizontal jigs directly Trilene knot  ...although I have come across recommendations for a loop knot for tungsten jigs ..haven't given that a try yet . On spoons most have a split ring or a snap(no swivel) again tie directly to the snap or split ring .I use several rods with different set up/presentations so retying is minimal .

this may help

https://tyepro.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Search%20-%20Brand&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=tyepro&utm_content=TYEPRO%20Branded

Liked the looks of that tool got two of them on the way.
Keep it safe! JDL

Dakota-Lew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:29 AM »
I fussed with the "quick" clips for a season and half way threw i just went back to tieing... I tie everything. Depending on the jig and line, i either use a palomar knot, or a trilene knot. To many lost fish with a cinch knot.

mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:33 AM »
duolock snap for bigger lures, tie on for the smaller jigs

KinnickResident

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:38 AM »
I fussed with the "quick" clips for a season and half way threw i just went back to tieing... I tie everything. Depending on the jig and line, i either use a palomar knot, or a trilene knot. To many lost fish with a cinch knot.
On most ice jigs the eye is too small to use a Trilene knot because you have to go through twice.

If you're losing fish on an improved clinch knot, you aren't tying it correctly. I ice fish a lot of small farm ponds close to my house and regularly land 3-4 lb largemouth on 2 lb Trilene Micro Ice tied with a clinch knot.

filetandrelease

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:50 AM »

I've been using mustad hoop snaps for soft and hard water without any issues for many years , perch , walleye and lakers , I have buds that I fish with prefer tying , if your successful with your method stick with it

Dakota-Lew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2017, 11:52 AM »
On most ice jigs the eye is too small to use a Trilene knot because you have to go through twice.

If you're losing fish on an improved clinch knot, you aren't tying it correctly. I ice fish a lot of small farm ponds close to my house and regularly land 3-4 lb largemouth on 2 lb Trilene Micro Ice tied with a clinch knot.

No my issue with the cinch knot, is the tighter it gets... the weaker it gets, i don't plan to catch just a few fish ;) . Also if your using braid its guaranteed to come undone with a cinch. I generally use a double uni from braid main line to flouro for a leader, then use a trilene knot, but yes sometimes you are forced to use a cinch, but i cringe at it when i have to go that route. I dont use mono on anything any more, there are certainly benefits but its just not for me.

Do what works for you. 

Bigassbassman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2017, 12:37 PM »
smaller panfish jigs I tie.

bigger spoons for walleye I just use a snap swivel to keep line twist down.

THIS ^^^ 
It just depends on the setup.  Small tungstens I use a surgeon's loop to prevent line twist, any larger spoons or hard baits I use a small snap. 
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2017, 06:33 AM »
I use a Spro swivel on the mainline with about a 4 ft Flourocarbon leader tied to the jig. I use the Palomar knot . I use this system summer and winter with no problems.
Oops! is too late.

FG Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Direct tie - trilene knot, tool like this:

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2017, 10:18 AM »
All depends. Finesse stuff I tie.   Otherwise I use a duolock snap. Greatest thing since sliced bread. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.