Author Topic: Ice Shanty or flasher?  (Read 2131 times)

yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Shanty or flasher?
« Reply #20 on: Oct 03, 2017, 11:37 AM »
I would get an FL8 used somewhere.  Then a popup blind then buy an fl18 later on. 

Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 03, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Well i guess a flasher it is lol. Is a vexilar fl8 good enough, or should i save for 18 or 20?

For a starter on a budget, FL8 is just fine. The auto zoom feature is definitely worth the extra money if you can spare it though.
Da Pack!

RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 03, 2017, 12:41 PM »
when you shop for shanty's, look for the flip over style to cut costs for a sled and it is way easier to set up/take down and move for hole hopping. being self contained is the way to go. if you go with a hub style, you have to move the hub and then move the sled and chair(s). really bad isea on super windy days.

you should be able to find a older flasher cheap and used should be cheaper yet. if you can, make sure it works when buying used. go to a lake and see if it can see bottom at least. don't buy if the seller refuses.

i have a friend who has neither and when we fish, he sits next to me outside so my shanty blocks the wind on windy days  and he asks about the fish to know more because i use a sonar.
all he has is a sled (most recent addition to his arsenal) a few buckets and rods and a folding chair and a 12 pack (always) all for himself.
i tired to explain the 12 pack money could become gear, but the 12 pack is more important. maybe he doesn't feel the cold and that is his shanty lol.
we don't fish together much.

i have both types of shelters and my flip goes over 90% of the time. it is my sled unless some one needs shelter like my wife. then, if i need the shelter using my flip it is there. better to have it and not use it than want to use it and it's not there.

I agree!

I had to think about it, but then I remembered I got a good deal on a flip-over shelter before the electronics. I usually only have $150-200 to spend each year out of the budget, so I get one BIG ticket item each season. First big ticket item was flip-over, the next year was a used Marcum Flasher, and last year was Milwaukee Fuel drill to use on my (hand)auger. Actually, I also managed to weasel a pair of Striker Ice bibs out of the financial planner(wife)!  ;)  But most years it is one major purchase. THis year I will get the Striker Ice Parka to go with last year's bibs.
Where's the FISH?!

chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 2017, 02:24 PM »
Well i guess a flasher it is lol. Is a vexilar fl8 good enough, or should i save for 18 or 20?

Wait for black Friday no matter what you do I am sure stores will have sales!

Fl8 will do what about humming bird, lowrance  or garmin I prefer humming bird cause its made in usa .. could get one with gps to .  I got lowrance and for I think the new one is the 3x for 79.99 it's not bad  if you search around I know field and stream store has 20 off 100 purchase throw in a ice rod or tip up etc battery etc .. you can use the boat transduecer for fishing there are ways get it done but truth fully $90 for the ice transducer is it some thing you need right now no! But is it usefull yes! Batteries are around $15 to $30  you can build a genz box out of wood 1/2 ply wood to hold battery and set unit on it on a bucket..   if it was me I would get the hook 4 minimum with the gps with the lake maps.. nice thing is you don't have to have it in flasher mode to ice fish and jig wile jigging it leAves a past history on. The screen when not in flasher mode this really helps cause you can tell how fish are reacting to your presintation of the jig  like as you wiggle the jig it rose when you stopped it left so next time keep wiggling see if they strike?? Etc etc.. I like my lowrace better then the fl8 my buddy has as long as the unit is warm .. if it gets cold it slows down.. that's were the fl8 Excels but no biggie.. btw your not fishing lakers were a 8*  transduecer is needed for deep water the lowrace trancduecer is fine but its all up to you..  I think the fl8 run about $280 cheapest I seen lately some time you can pick up the hook 4 for around $150 black friday.. for a boat model and rig it for ice not hard to do a lot cheaper maybe $30 to rig for ice  with battery then take the extra cash and get a ground blind or a shanty on sale but for sure wait till then when the add come out to decide.. if you can get a eskimo quick fish 2 or 3 for 159.99 and a lowrace that would be best to wait for black Friday even seen the fl8 for $229 a few years ago for black friday.. it up to you but I would save and wait.. to see what you find.. it's what two months away?? 

Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 03, 2017, 02:45 PM »

Send this dude a line.  See if he'll ship to you.  Great price.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/spo/d/vexilar-fish-flasher/6278102437.html

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 03, 2017, 09:57 PM »
That's a heck of a deal on a FL-18!!  Up here in MN/WI they usually retain their value so well I sometimes think they'd be a better investment than gold. 

icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 04, 2017, 04:48 AM »
I agree, nice scouting ninja!!

Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 05, 2017, 11:42 PM »

if you are going with a flasher and want to save a little money on it but still get a basically new unit I would go and check out the Vexilar website and check out what they have for reconditioned units. last year you could get a reconditioned fl-18 for like $350. also with them releasing the new flx 12 and 20 this year they might have some of the original fl 12's or 20's at a discounted price. https://shop.vexilar.com/en/reconditioned-products-1
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Clam PowerStick

Chute82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 07, 2017, 08:03 AM »
Flasher....easier to find a buddy who has a two man shelter then one that will let you use his vex
Kiss stealing, wheeling dealing, limousine riding, jet flying, son of a gun....WOOOOOOOO!

Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 07, 2017, 09:24 AM »
My advice for you is to get the flasher because it'll help you find the fish, see how they're reacting to your presentation, and you will use it on every trip out where you're not going to need a shelter every trip.  If you get the shelter you going to be in the same boat of not knowing where the fish are and have the extra aggravation of moving the shelter while you're running around the lake drilling holes trying to find the fish.

iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #30 on: Oct 08, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Flasher first, most of the time I leave my shanty at home. Unless wind chill is below zero you can dress warm enough to not need a shanty. I have two shanties that are at home 75% of the time.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

filetandrelease

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Oct 08, 2017, 10:04 AM »
Start checking Craig's List and the For Sale area on this site! Good luck!!
And e-bay , and classifieds in your area

Iceballs204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2017, 10:57 PM »
I agree with the posters that mentioned by used. You might be able to find a deal if someone upgrades for the new season.
I purchased a shelter first. I'm glad i did bc I want my wife and if guests comes to stay warm. The coldest I've endured was -49*c with 70 k winds. Good luck and stay warm

lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 11, 2017, 11:09 PM »
keep an eye on CL, people want to unload gear for new stuff

Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:24 PM »
Hey all,

So I really don't have much equipment yet, but Im going to add to my equipment this winter.  My dilemma is that I dont have enough to buy both a ice shanty and a flasher. Im not really big on freezing on the lake, but also it gets frustrating drilling a million holes and not knowing where the fish are. What do you think would be the smarter purchase for a new ice fisherman?

I could probably set you up with both.

prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 13, 2017, 12:01 AM »
   I could probably set you up with both.
Amen brother. I was thinking the same thing, but I am quite a ways away.
Even the losers...

hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 13, 2017, 10:17 AM »
flasher.  when i first started i had everything but a flasher and i ice fished for 2 years before i was like, never again.  i bought a bunch of equipment 2nd hand and a flasher was in it a few years later.  i tried again and with a flasher in hand i was hooked. 

you can find used equipment pretty easily.

i'd much rather pick my days or bundle up and fish with a flasher than be able to fish everyday without one. 

Clam Nitinol Spring Bobbers are Junk - Don't Buy

Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09:00 PM »
Hey all,

So I really don't have much equipment yet, but Im going to add to my equipment this winter.  My dilemma is that I dont have enough to buy both a ice shanty and a flasher. Im not really big on freezing on the lake, but also it gets frustrating drilling a million holes and not knowing where the fish are. What do you think would be the smarter purchase for a new ice fisherman?

I know it has been suggested a lot already but get both. I found a frabill recon one man flip over a year or so ago at and auction for $25. It was almost new condition. Find a used vexilar fl-8 or look for sales. If you can swing one or the other spend your money on a flasher and buy a use one man flip over. You can buy hub shelters cheap but they are a pain to move. I bought one my first year and hardly used it because of this reason. With a one man flip over you can drill a hole, drop your electronics in, and check for fish. If you find fish flip your shanty over and stay warm, if not move on. Hun shelters are heavier and are at least 3 times slower. You will find a cheap one man. Spend your money on electronics. I got an LX-7 last year and words can not explain how many more fish I caught. No because itís an lx-7 , a fl-8 would about do the same exact thing with nearly the same exact results 95% of the time. Enjoy your time out with both items you mentioned. You wonít regret getting both even if the shanty is an old recon. Good luck

Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 18, 2017, 06:58 AM »
For the first couple years I was on the ice I fished sitting on a bucket. Sometimes the weather was pretty nasty too. The first year I ended up with a cheap old fish finder and I knew I wouldn't want to be out there without electronics. The second year I had an ice-45. The third year I got the clam. The clam is comfy and gets me out of the weather but half the time I fish with it open so I might as well be sitting on a bucket... well, except that swivel seat is way more comfy and I can flip any time I want to go dark or the weather changes. I'll ice fish without my flip, but I won't go without my flasher!

Dave R

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Oct 18, 2017, 06:03 PM »
I use an FL8 and it does everything that I need it to do. Haven't even thought of upgrading.

If I had to do without my one man flip over or my FL8, the decision would be easy. I can always dress warmer, but the FL8 is my eyes below the ice!

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.