The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ridgid Drill  (Read 2020 times)

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ridgid Drill
« on: Aug 19, 2017, 05:46 PM »
I have finally decided that I'm going to sell my Strikemaster Honda and get a drill! I'll only need an 8" on rare occasions for whitefish, so I'll be able to use the 6" mora or lazer that I currently have. I'm looking for the best deal on getting a ridgid drill and at least 4.0ah batteries preferably. I'm currently a college student and the incentives of the LSA are mainly why I'm leaning that way. Unless I can get a Milwaukee for an extremely good deal! I just don't want to burn up the batteries or the drill after the warranty in a few years, and be out and auger, because it's definitely something I won't be able to afford another of in a while! I believe my best bet is getting the kit with the impact unless there's something else available that I don't know of? Any help is much appreciated though!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ridgid Drill
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2017, 06:20 PM »
The best batteries seem to be included in some sort of kit. Every drill that I have seen with just the drill have been 1.5 ah or 2.0 ah. Past 2 years Home Depot has pretty good deals going on around thanksgiving.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2017, 08:58 AM »
yep around black friday and for christmas the tools sales are the best typically, but they have sales all year. sign up for them to find out when they are on sale at ridgids site and hd's site.
most of the time, they just give you a choice of a free tool and not a price break.

some thing to consider is what if a tool goes down. you have to wait for it to get repaired. after a few years if you use your batteries a lot, they will fade away and you'll want to replace them when your not needing them as much like spring maybe.

here's the only/cheapest kit that offers 4 amp batteries for now. you want to buy the batteries in the kit to get the life time service agreement/warranty. batteries sold singly will only have three years on them, but the tools will have the lsa. just enroll all the tools when you buy them because you only have 90 days to enroll them. you can return them even if you enrolled them so no problem with that. you also have 90 days to return or exchange tools at hd and is hassle free. they only ask if any thing is wrong with them.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-GEN5X-Brushless-18-Volt-Compact-Hammer-Drill-Driver-and-3-Speed-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-R9205/206127587

i have used the lsa and brought all of my tools in (they asked me to when i called ahead to see if they fix ridgid tools) and they replaced all the batteries even tho many didn't need new ones. they replaced trigger switches that didn't need replacing. they want to make sure your tools don't break when they have any one of them in for service. that's what i call service. just use a local authorized repair shop to get it done, if and when you need service or parts. batteries do fade away and will always need replacing over some years. so your smart thinking ahead.

milwaukee does make the strongest of the tools, if you need that, they are the ones to use, but you have to pay if you want to play using their tools. i have a few of them that ridgid doesn't make or doesn't make strong enough for the jobs i use them on. such as an 1200 foot pound 1/2 driver and a 3/8 inch ratchet. i don't like buying batteries, but that's what they will have you do just to be able to use those tools.

the only issue i have had was one of my 12 volt drills (early model) had a problem from day one, but i knew it would be okay if i kept it. when wire wheeling, i often change directions of the tool to get more bite from the wires and in reverse mode the drill acted like it was not as fast. so it finally burned out. they replaced the motor and trans and switch and batteries for it.
and then my 24 volt equipment needed new batteries , so i got it all done at one time.
what they do is change any parts that have been updated since you bought your tools like switches and batteries while they have them. even when they don't need them yet when you bring them in for service.

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2017, 10:46 AM »
I had to make this very decision a couple weeks ago. I kept going back and forth on Milwaukee vs Ridgid.  I liked the idea of the lifetime warranty, but the Milwaukee has more power and 5 ah batteries. There are always a bunch of cheap Milwaukees on ebay. It seemed pretty sketchy since they were over $100 cheaper than other retailers. Finally I decided to take the risk and order one. I got the 2897-22 (Drill, impact driver 2 5 ah batteries) for $260 shipped. At that price it was cheaper than the retail price of the Ridgid and there was no tax!

I was pretty nervous when it came wondering if I got scammed. However, it appeared to be brand new and works great! Obviously, I haven't tried it on the ice yet, but I've used it around the house a lot.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big names, Ridgid, DeWalt, Milwuakee, etc. They all make a great product. It was a tough decision, but I'm glad I went with the Milwuakee.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Just ordered from Home Depot  2- 9ah batteries and charger online for $210 shipped to door!! Heck of a deal

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2017, 11:23 PM »
Gotchya! Thanks for all of the info! Now I'm torn at getting the Milwaukee bare drill and the 9ah battery set. Would probably be the best combination I could get! I'm just not sure if they'd last 10 years!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2017, 04:22 PM »
you can find the milwaukee 2703-22 at times on ebay new in box for 220-250. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.