Author Topic: Shelter Recommendations  (Read 494 times)

Offline bstawickiata

• IceShanty Rookie
Shelter Recommendations
« on: May 25, 2017, 09:52 PM »
Looking to buy a shelter in the 300-500 dollar range. At least a 2 person in the flip/side step style and 4 person in the hub style. I usually fish with a friend that has an older clam with the solid floor which I love but I would have a hard time setting a similar shelter up alone on a windy day on Erie. That's why i am leaning more towards the flip style. I'll use on days i am fishing alone or with another friend or family member. Does anyone have any recommendations on which shelters to look into and what features are beneficial like insulation, fishable area, weight, etc. I will be pulling by hand but I am a bigger guy so weight doesn't bother me too much. Thanks for your help.

Bob

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: Shelter Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 06:04 AM »

Hi Bob, welcome to the site! I have a Frabbil Trekker II it is big enough for 2 people if you want but more than
           enough room for one especially if you're a big guy. I like plenty of room, I drill 2 holes one to fish out of and the
           other for my flasher, that way I don't have to pull my transducer to get a fish out. Also I have room for my heater
           if needed, I don't like having a heater behind me where I can't see, I saw a guys flip over catch fire once because
           he accidently threw a rag over the heater! And when looking for a flip over it had the most comfortable seats!
           Good luck in your search!

IW

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 07:14 AM »
If you don't mind a minor cosmetic imperfection...  $475.99 for a $700 insulated, two-man shack, and shipped free if you have a Prime account.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00XD5LYOK/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Good luck. 

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline IceKingggg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Hi Bob,

I have only had hub pop up shelters due to room with family etc. I have  been in many Otter flip over shanties and I am buying one for this next Ice season, they heat extremely well and hold in heat well, they are also extremely easy to use (load up/tow/etc.). I know they are somewhat out of your price range but I feel this would last longer and would be smarter in my opinion to bite the bullet up front  ;D ;)

Link to Otter: (may be cheaper other places, I haven't had time to look around!) http://www.cabelas.com/product/OTTER-XT-LODGE-PACKAGE/2121515.uts?productVariantId=4199221&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04189111&rid=20&gclid=CjwKEAjwpJ_JBRC3tYai4Ky09zQSJAC5r7ruQK5tN4c_imKKZb_4fzmOWgz7cFEcoaN9_W2MCjND-BoCy-_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.