The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: West Grand Ice/snow conditions  (Read 2814 times)

Offline harebare

• IceShanty Rookie
West Grand Ice/snow conditions
« on: Feb 15, 2017, 06:08 AM »
hey guys,

heading up to west grand this weekend and just wondering if anyone had any info on accessibility?  Is it plowed? Is it safe to drive a vehicle on, or should we just stick to snowmobiles? I haven't been up there in years and I don't remember how access friendly it is.  Ive looked back through some of the older posts and just was wondering if someone had an updated input.

thanks in advance.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: West Grand Ice/snow conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:10 AM »
I think you are in for a treat!  ::)
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Fished it this past weekend. Plenty of ice. We got a foot or so of fresh snow on Friday. Saturday there was slush pockets. They got hammered on Sunday Monday with 2' + of snow. My guess it will be a mess out there. Good luck
If your not into fishing try snowmobiling the trails are top notch

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Fished it this past weekend. Plenty of ice. We got a foot or so of fresh snow on Friday. Saturday there was slush pockets. They got hammered on Sunday Monday with 2' + of snow. My guess it will be a mess out there. Good luck
If your not into fishing try snowmobiling the trails are top notch
Definitely not gonna be fun until it settles and freezes
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline harebare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2017, 05:36 AM »
yeah, conditions aren't ideal, but its the only time fitting into my schedule right now.  We'll see how it goes.  This extra snow is gonna make it more fun.  Ill be satisfied to just get some tip ups in and spend the day fishing.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:11 AM »
If I were you I would take a dry run on the sled with no gear and find a spot with little or no slush then get your gear and fish. Getting stuck stinks bad but it can be avoided.
Good luck
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:31 AM »
If I were you I would take a dry run on the sled with no gear and find a spot with little or no slush then get your gear and fish. Getting stuck stinks bad but it can be avoided.
Good luck

Might as well get stuck first thing!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Might as well get stuck first thing!
I spent half a day fishing with Jack smelt and two others digging out 3 sleds. Not much fun at all.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:18 PM »
I spent half a day fishing with Jack smelt and two others digging out 3 sleds. Not much fun at all.

Sounds like work.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline harebare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:41 AM »
So we spent friday up there.  The conditions were not bad at all, obviously lots of snow, but the snowmobiles handled it fine.  Also plenty of ice, we had almost 2' of good ice where we were.  The fishing wasn't a day for the record books, but we did ok.  2 togue and 3 salmon, with a few flags that we missed on.   The wind was howling, and that was about the only downside to everything, but you gotta expect wind there.  Hope everyone had a good day fishing.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2017, 09:38 AM »
I have seen parties spend 6hr digging out a sled hauling a sled with gear. if a fisherman is around a lake with slush ,and it will happen when the snow gets deep and drifts are around. sleds with gear should stay off the lake until a path is packed double wide . over night these will freeze and make hauling sleds better.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2017, 03:02 PM »
I have seen parties spend 6hr digging out a sled hauling a sled with gear. if a fisherman is around a lake with slush ,and it will happen when the snow gets deep and drifts are around. sleds with gear should stay off the lake until a path is packed double wide . over night these will freeze and make hauling sleds better.
Solid advice
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline EskimoPower51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Anyone been there recently? I have a trip planned at canal side cabins with a group starting this Sunday. Hoping conditions will be alright but with this warm weather and rain coming it doesn't look good.

Thanks in advance

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Anyone been there recently? I have a trip planned at canal side cabins with a group starting this Sunday. Hoping conditions will be alright but with this warm weather and rain coming it doesn't look good.

Thanks in advance
Wasa o East Grand yesterday. Snow was beat down pretty well. There were spots of slush, but not terribly major. I’m yessir wth the warm and rain this weekend. Snow will get  knocked down even more. I don’t know what that will do to heavily drifted areas. I would guess the ice will be fairly bare After Sunday. I will be very interested to see what someone that knows has to say.

Probably see you guys up there. On more thing has to fall in line..... Planning on being there Tues-Thurs. Staying at canal side.

Hope to see ya!

Joe

Offline EskimoPower51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:10 AM »
Thanks for the update Clamfarmer! Hopefully conditions arent terrible but I'm committed either way at this point. Hope to see you too

-Nick

Offline J.R.6279

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2017, 05:52 AM »
me and a buddy are thinking on going to fish it tuesday probly for the first time ever. could someone pm a spot or two for us to try? would greatly appreciate it

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2017, 10:09 AM »
me and a buddy are thinking on going to fish it tuesday probly for the first time ever. could someone pm a spot or two for us to try? would greatly appreciate it
First of all good luck. That lake is 14,000+ acres. And currently at its lowest it's been in years. But everyone is having luck so can't be all bad. Farm cove is a decent access point, the public launch by the dam may be sketchy after this rain but should be able to access the snowmobile trail and go up lake a little bit. Secret spots don't have any. Just do your homework and pick a spot that looks good for what you want to target and giver hell

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2017, 06:47 AM »
Kevin and I and maybe another are headed up Tuesday. Awful warm!

To anybody up that way over the next few days, we would love ice conditions updates! How’s getting on and traveling?

Thanks!

Offline StolenB8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2017, 08:01 AM »
Kevin and I and maybe another are headed up Tuesday. Awful warm!

To anybody up that way over the next few days, we would love ice conditions updates! How’s getting on and traveling?

Thanks!

Could jetski today. Or paddle if you could stomach the waves!!! ;D.  My guess is it will be solid again and glare by Tuesday morning.  :tipup:

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2017, 08:27 AM »
  My guess is it will be solid again and glare by Tuesday morning.  :tipup:

That is my hope!  ;D

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Kevin and I steal be seein’ ya in the Morning!

Offline J.R.6279

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2017, 09:33 PM »
hope its good as chamberlain and eagle was today. perfect going glare ice few spots with two inchs of ice and few inches of water under it just enough to slow you down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.