Author Topic: Dead flasher  (Read 922 times)

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Dead flasher
« on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:45 AM »
My 2012 VX-1P just died. Battery is fully charged & fine.
Was working well, up until 20 minutes ago...
Nothing on the dial, just a steady tone.
What went wrong?!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Dead flasher
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2017, 02:55 PM »
Marcum has issues  with chargers and motors most likely the charger if not could be the motor let it warm up check with volt meter if you need to charge use a different charger. Piss poor they are supposed to be so great but they can't get the charging system down. Likewise on the motor issues and other issues.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2017, 03:36 PM »
Marcum has issues  with chargers and motors most likely the charger if not could be the motor let it warm up check with volt meter if you need to charge use a different charger. Piss poor they are supposed to be so great but they can't get the charging system down. Likewise on the motor issues and other issues.
dang O.G  no holding back.you taking acid again..jk hahaha.marcum motors and chargers seems to be a problem on the newer say 2012 to current model flashers I know ive had 3 all had  junk chargers and motors.marcum will take care of you but these failures are way to common every year. 

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:45 PM »
So I don't think it's the charger she nice I've been using it since I bought it new in 2012.
It was working fine then boom, no colors on the dial and crap off, went to turn it back on and not thing but tone like the beep when it starts up but a steady tone

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:49 PM »
Grrr, this is what happens when typing on a phone...
Was working fine, so can't be the charger since I've been using the original that came with it since I bought it new in 2012.
Was working fine the boom no color on the dial and went to turn it back on after I checked to see if the battery terminals had come loose and nothing but a steady tone like to sound of the beep when starting it up, only a steady tone beeeeeeeeeep.....

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Here is what I would suggest.  1) check all connections, just in case, 2) find a different 12v battery that you know is charged, jump to your connections, turn it on, see if you get the weird noise.  3) If none of that fixes it, call Marcum.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Today your VX-1p, was repaired by our technicians and is now being shipped back to you with UPS.
The corresponding tracking number is XXXXXXXX

Here are the notes from the technician:
Replaced failed motor and motor contacts causing steady beep and interfering with function of lights.

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2017, 12:07 PM »
Apparently, ours were on the bench at the same time.  Mine did exactly the same thing.  Now I wish I had some ice to test it out on. :'(

Offline Cw1036

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:12 PM »
my lx5 did this same thing last season. Didn't get it back from Marcum before the ice left. been working out of town a lot this year so went to try it out and getting pretty much the same thing. sending it back in this next week. hope they get it right this time. Thinking maybe try a vex if it craps on me again. A little upset that I have to pay to send it back even though I haven't even been able to use it.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Not affiliated with MarCum Tech.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Cw1036, you should do the floor test and test battery voltage before sending them in. the battery is the only thing you did not send into them and it may be too old and needs 20$ to get a new one instead of shipping the head unit that is fixed back to them.

90% of sonar issues are battery related.

marcum quit using the brushed and problematic motor of the past and now use brushless motors. so no more motor problems. make sure you get a brushless motor if sending in for a motor. if buying a new sonar their version with brushless is the M series. m probably is a motor reference.

also, these junk chargers that come with many electronics are not worth plugging in in the first place. they are known to cause wire fires. i have had one with cabelas camera in the past.
the battery tender jr is a much safer option and much more reliable version.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.