Author Topic: How many motors have you replaced in your flasher?  (Read 2269 times)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • I'd rather be Fishing!
Re: How many motors have you replaced in your flasher?
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:07 AM »
okay, i don't face book. that links makes you log in and i can't so.

i wish vex would make digital ice sonar. they do make one for open water, but seem to be weary of moving into the ice realm with digital. it would make a huge impact on the ice fishing world. i would be interested in learning more about them, if they bothered to make them.

marcum is only in it because they bought it (showdown) from aqua-vu and reverse engineered it from them to make the lx6/7/9 and now the rt9. so it would seem. that was a smart buy out.

i have a mechanical sonar (the very best hb has to offer still) and a digital unit. i like digital much more because i like being able to have full control or more control over what i see and how it functions. the mechanical unit is much too limited in about every way possible in comparison.

now with garmin making an entry and only digital units, they become the ones to follow next. the small bobber style could become better as well and most every one already owns smart phones and that's what those use. in essence, this is what marcums rt9 is.
it is exciting to me to watch these units grow with time and it bothers me to see a company remain stagnant like vex is doing now. i don't understand their thinking other than if they keep buying it we will keep making it concept. but that is a wasted opportunity in my eyes. they have devoted customers now and could keep them instead of loosing them to advancements other companies provide to the end users.

i don't care who's name is on the unit, it is who is the best at making and standing behind a product i want. i don't want motors any more and only want digital sonar. so far it is marcum, hb and garmin. hb is out of it for me because of very poor customer service and high flat rate repair costs. that leaves garmin. lowrance quits supporting their products even the high end units, so they are also a no go.

after you pay a huge amount of money for a repair ticket and they refuse to honor their own words, you quit supporting those people. only support those who support you is the only good way to shop. i didn't know hb would do that going in, but now i do and i warn others every time i think some one might read about it.
so yes, mechanical units have their own problems and not just motors. the knobs have issues too and so do their center digital displays and their sonar engines (the digital workings of any sonar). and for some, customer service has the biggest issues.

bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:49 AM »

i don't care who's name is on the unit, it is who is the best at making and standing behind a product i want.

so yes, mechanical units have their own problems and not just motors. the knobs have issues too and so do their center digital displays and their sonar engines (the digital workings of any sonar). and for some, customer service has the biggest issues.

We completely agree here.   I don't understand why vex hasn't started to push the envelope.   As soon as someone comes out with something digital that will catch me more fish than my old fl-18, i will be all over it.     I would much rather have something digital, solid state if you will.   More moving parts means more things to go wrong and that is the main reason I switched to an electric auger.

There's so much room in ice fishing electronics for improvement.   We already have 360 degree tech for open water, the fact that companies haven't adapted it to ice fishing yet really sucks.

sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2017, 12:33 PM »
There's so much room in ice fishing electronics for improvement.   We already have 360 degree tech for open water, the fact that companies haven't adapted it to ice fishing yet really sucks.
I thought seriously about this. I have one of the Humminbird 360 transducers. I think I would use it more icefishing than open water to be honest. It would take a mount. That wouldn't be too hard. It might really use battery, but the 360 sitting stationary might be fun whether spearing or jigging.

ErnieLearns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:33 PM »
I have read that Garmin's Panoptix will work for ice fishing, but its a steep price tag.  I have a Echomap 93 SV and Echomap 73 SV for my boat.  They will work for icefishing, but it becomes a hassle to rig it up.  Power cable $23, Mounting bracket $25, Ice ducer $120, 8 to 12 pin connector $20, 8 pin to 4 pin connector $17.  That adds up to $205 without a battery or anything to put the mounting bracket and battery on.  You might be able to use a Genz box.  After  you have all that you have to go into the menus and manually select the transducer.  Garmin Tech support has informed me that this procedure will work and that they rigged something similar to verify it.

The Garmins replaced by color Eagle Fish Elite 502 igps.  Last year I bought the Lowrance ice kit for it for $120 on sale and I was good to go.

As much as I would like to try and own a Vex, I can't justify buying something I know will eventually need to get serviced.

Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2017, 12:39 AM »
I've never replaced a motor.....I run vexilars.

DR.SPECKLER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Jul 26, 2017, 07:52 AM »
I've never replaced a motor.....I run vexilars.
I have  but not  on any vexilars. I have 3 now  soon to be 4.i had 3 Marcum units and every one burnt the motor up under warranty and lasted a season.im glad Marcum dropped that line of flashers but I will never look  at a  Marcum product again.i do like the lx7 and  Marcum is advancing in tech but should slow down a bit and work on reliability.jmo.i don't need a bunch of settings to pull a fish on top the ice.locate fish is all I need my flasher to do.

HWeber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jul 26, 2017, 01:51 PM »
never replace my motor on my marcum, 3 years old fished very hard last year. Don't know what people do to burn out motors as much as they do

DR.SPECKLER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Jul 26, 2017, 04:01 PM »
never replace my motor on my marcum, 3 years old fished very hard last year. Don't know what people do to burn out motors as much as they do
the motors don't really burn out.. they slow down and speed up causing the whole display,bottom,fish and jig to rock up and down on the screen.alls I did was fish with mine every  weekend and they all ended up doing it.the older models don't seem to do it but around 2012 and up did.

ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jul 27, 2017, 03:17 PM »
8 years and my ice55 is all original...even the battery.

sunniewally

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • molly
« Reply #29 on: Jul 30, 2017, 09:46 AM »
vexilar are pretty much bullet pro and  get the job done, marcum gets the job done but consistent repairs in my experience.

Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #30 on: Jul 30, 2017, 10:11 AM »
8 years and my ice55 is all original...   even the battery  .

Same with my Marcum LX1.....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...

Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

bart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #31 on: Jul 30, 2017, 02:52 PM »
I've had my Marcum VX-1 for ten years now, not one hiccup, same battery too!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

DR.SPECKLER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Jul 30, 2017, 03:54 PM »
I had a older original marcum vx1 that  still running with no repairs over 10 years or so and my bud is still running it.. but my newer vx1 pros all went bad,same wih the newer model lx3tc.must of had a bad run of marcums on the newer models.idk.however my old vexilar fl8 is going on 15 years with the same battery and works still.never tried a bird yet.

filetandrelease

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jul 30, 2017, 04:14 PM »

The fl8 is over 20 years and the fl18 deep is like 14 years and no motor issues with either,  I have passed them on to others

HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Aug 04, 2017, 09:19 PM »
Mine is 4 years old now and runs great. Marcum VX-ip
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Aug 06, 2017, 10:59 AM »
I have an old LX5 and LX7, original motor on the 5. The Marcum vs Vex war will never end so try to use both and you decide. I do recommend dual beam units especially when fishing around brush and weeds.

backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #36 on: Aug 10, 2017, 10:25 AM »
My fl8 has to be 15 years old. Never had any issues with it.  My oldest sons lx3- not tc- has to be close to that old. No issues with it either. Youngest son has vx1 about 5 years old with no issues. The fl8 and lx3 I am sure have well over 1000 hours on them. Are the problems just with newer marcums? Buddy has a lx3-tc and I really like it. I have been watching for one I can afford. But if its problem prone, I will stick with my old fl8.  Is there any way to know if a marcum was made during "problem years"?. Don't want to waste my money on something that needs fixed all the time.  Thanks. Steve

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.