Author Topic: Recipe for pickerel  (Read 5571 times)

greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Recipe for pickerel
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2017, 06:51 PM »
I see trapper is back to giving bad advice leaving fish on the ice is against the law and pickerel are about as good eating as any fish there is just fry them like any other use crisco instead of oil it makes a huge difference

Joe Snag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just Waiting for Deer season to open
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2017, 04:58 AM »
send me a PM and I'll tell you how to fillet them out and you will not get 1 bone--I've posted this before with pics.
I can see you.

jhl4661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Thank you for all of your replies.  I sadly did not have access to a meat grinder as my grandfather was out of town and our grinder is with him. I filleted them and it was quite a bit of work for not a lot of reward. I will probably wait until he returns to keep any more.  However when i cleaned them i opened up the stomachs and found a good reason to keep them as there were quite a few young bluegill in them. 

Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2017, 02:59 PM »
Uses a food processor if you have one.
Add some onion, an egg and process it..
Make patties, dip in egg and milk and roll in your favorite breading...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...

Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2017, 04:31 PM »
 I think I'll use the Food processor. It is easier to clean.

hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2017, 04:44 PM »
I think I'll use the Food processor. It is easier to clean.

Run crackers through the grinder...and use a binder to boot EZPZ.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:16 PM »
I boiled one in Ginger Ale once, was pretty good. Never tried the patty method but the next slime dart is destine for fish patties!

beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:10 AM »
Run crackers through the grinder...and use a binder to boot EZPZ.
I used to always run bread through, but my wife has celiac. Gluten free stuff is a little more common now so maybe I will try that.

perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Cold water pickerel are pretty tasty, reason most people don't mess with them is the Y bones and not knowing how to remove them properly.
Use the 5 piece fillet method and the "Y" bones are gone.  Cut behind the head down to the back bone and toward the tail and out just before the rear dorsal fin (pc 1).  This exposes the "Y" bones.  Trim any of the "Y" bone tips out of the 1st fillet if any of them were cut  off during the  1st dorsal cut.  Cut the side fillet off by cutting down to the ribs just outside the "Y" bone line, end your side fillet near the tail section where you ended your first dorsal fillet cut (pc 2). Repeat other side (pc 3).   Now fillet the tail section as you would normally do any fish (pc 4 and 5).  Now skin all 5 pcs.  If you did it correct the "Y" bones should still be attached to the back bone with a strip of meat.  Practice makes perfect.  I batter and fry them like pike and they are great tasting.

Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:41 AM »
I'd batter and deep fry them.

FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:53 AM »
The prime cuts (back and tail pieces) hold up great on a well seasoned grill...Underrated and underappreciated fish.  Keep the panfish population balanced, great action on light tackle, prevalent and tasty!

bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Here is how I deal with the y bones I have done the 5filet, but I prefer this way.

Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:51 PM »

pickerel patties

getting brown, flip em over

final product - YUM!

Lots of guys don't like pickerel or pike because "they have too many bones", boy they don't know what they are missing. 

Fried pickerel patties, fresh coleslaw and fries. Washed it down with a cold one. Yum! Pickerel fillets were ground in a food processor, mixed with raw eggs, parsley flakes, garlic powder, fresh minced onion, and mixed with crushed Ritz crackers like a meatloaf and the patties were then fried in oil until golden brown. Delicious!
Owner/Trainer/Handler - HR Wine Country Water Lily SH  - RIP

http://www.greatlakesawsc.org/

Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2017, 03:32 PM »
That looks delicious Huntyeraws. We eat them on buns with lettuce, tomato and onion like a hamburger...    ;D

beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2017, 04:19 PM »
And as the picture shows, don't forget the beer!!

perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:31 PM »
Here is how I deal with the y bones I have done the 5 fillet, but I prefer this way.

Thanks bigfish, I'll have to try your method seems a little simpler.  The main thing is to get the "Y" bones out and then the pickerel or pike are great tasting battered and deep fried.  Baked covered with onions, garlic power and lemon juice wrapped in tin foil is a tasty treat also.

uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Fillet the pickerel.  Soak the fillets in buttermilk for 4-5 hours.  Then rinse them, pat dry and season heavily with Uncle Cletus' fish rub.  Let rest for two hours to allow the rub to penetrate.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Place the seasoned fillets on an adler plank.  Bake in a 350 deg preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  Remove the plank from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.

Throw the fish away and eat the plank...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:29 AM »
Here is how I deal with the y bones I have done the 5filet, but I prefer this way.

Thanks for sharing the video, it looks really easy and am going to try that.  I've caught some decent size pickerel, twenty inches and bigger but always throw them back because I was afraid of missing some bones if I filleted them. 

Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Pickerel Patties.............  And coleslaw and fixings....

Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 26, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Great looking meal raquettedacker!! If I have to hear that stupid alder plank joke again I might lose all hope. It's ran its course!

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.