The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Foraging Bill~~~ Taking My Jig Rods!  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Foraging Bill~~~ Taking My Jig Rods!
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Couldn’t make it in person to the hearing today....

Joseph Porada                                                              207 479 0322
68 Downeast Farm Road, Hancock, Maine 04640            email: acadiabaysclamandoyste [email protected]

RE: LD128 “An Act To Prohibit Foraging on Private Land without Permission”

Dear Maine Legislators,

I am unable to attend the Public Hearing today regarding LD128 “An Act To Prohibit Foraging on Private Land without Permission”

I wish to express my opposition to this unnecessary new, divisive and onerous proposed bill .

For these reasons and realities, this bill should not become law.

1.)   Current law already affords remedy. I quote:

“Posting of Land and Criminal Trespass (17-A MRSA, §402)
             Property is posted if it is marked with signs or paint in one of the
             following ways and in a manner that is reasonably likely to come to the
             attention of an intruder:
1.   Signs must indicate that access is prohibited, that access is
    prohibited without permission of the landowner or landowner’s
    agent, or that access for a particular activity is prohibited.
2.   One vertical “OSHA Safety Purple” stripe at least one inch in
width and at least 8 inches in length means “Access by Permission Only” when it is placed on trees, posts or stones between three and five feet off the ground.

2.)   It is not enforceable:
* The Forest and Game Warden services are already spread thin. *Thousands of acres are unposted, undefined internally and abut public
  and private lands across municipal boundaries.
* Anyone, including myself, being a property owner can write out
  permission not knowing where the permitted party actually forages. This
  can certainly be done intentionally.
*It will be impossible to determine where foraged foods actually came from
  without great effort in investigation.

3.)   This creates an unnecessary additional expense in tax payer dollars and Warden Service time better spent on more serious criminal activity while potentially making criminals of those that have foraged for generations and longer.

4.)   Foraging is a long standing tradition in our state, both for commercial and private use.  This is a solution looking for a problem.

5.)   This bill amounts to reverse posting and opens the door for all land to be closed, for any and all activity where no posted sign has been placed, if one does not have written permission.

6.)   Following, one unintended consequence could be a deluge of frivolous calls to the warden service by people suspecting foraging on anyone’s land and could be used as diversion to cover other illegal activity.

For these, other reasons, the likelihood of dangerous precedent effecting fish and fowl rules, and other likely unintended consequences, I state here my firm opposition to this proposal. 

Thanks! 

Joseph Porada

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: OT Sent to Ag, Conservation and Forestry Just Now
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:45 AM »
I saw this and posted it to my fakebook. Another friend saw it and debated it for a minute. Then saw it for what it is and actually contacted s.a.m? and I havnt heard back from him to see where thier position on this bill stood. Just a way to add law on top of law on top of law
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:03 AM »
Joe I have noticed they are starting to mark property in UNORGANIZED town ships . wondered if this is legal and something we will have to put up with in the coming future. Being that they get a reduced tax rate ????

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:20 AM »
Joe I have noticed they are starting to mark property in UNORGANIZED town ships . wondered if this is legal and something we will have to put up with in the coming future. Being that they get a reduced tax rate ????

Hunh...... Intersesting....I dunno
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Clamfarmer said he couldn't make it today. For all who are interested the public hearing is tomorrow, January 31 at 1:30 pm. The location is the Cross office building, on Sewell Street behind the State House, room 214. I scheduled a day off work to be there. I hope the room is overflowing.
Tom Saviello introduced this bill as a favor for George Smith. I find it very hypocritical of Smith to ask for a law like this. When he was president of the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine Smith made a lot of noise about people posting their property against hunting. I don't care if George Smith doesn't want anyone picking fiddleheads or mushrooms on his property. That's his right as a property owner. Let George Smith post his land like anyone else who wants people to keep out.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Clamfarmer said he couldn't make it today. For all who are interested the public hearing is tomorrow, January 31 at 1:30 pm. The location is the Cross office building, on Sewell Street behind the State House, room 214. I scheduled a day off work to be there. I hope the room is overflowing.
Tom Saviello introduced this bill as a favor for George Smith. I find it very hypocritical of Smith to ask for a law like this. When he was president of the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine Smith made a lot of noise about people posting their property against hunting. I don't care if George Smith doesn't want anyone picking fiddleheads or mushrooms on his property. That's his right as a property owner. Let George Smith post his land like anyone else who wants people to keep out.

Thanks! I thought it was today, for some reason. I’ll try to make it. Looks like I can! At least they will have had time to read my thoughts on it. Glad I had things to take care of today, Or I’d be walking around Augusta right now.

Offline zhaaksdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Affecting

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2017, 02:37 PM »
Affecting

Yes “affecting", may have been appropriate. I didn’t see it at first glance.

Where was that? Did I miss any punctuation?  ;D  :thumbsup:

I hope my letter and testimony, along with others of the same opinion, tomorrow will be effective.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Why would it be illegal for a property owner in an unorganized territory to post his land? Just because someone owns land outside of a city or towndoesn't change his rights as a property owner.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Why would it be illegal for a property owner in an unorganized territory to post his land? Just because someone owns land outside of a city or towndoesn't change his rights as a property owner.

Is that what he meant? Wasn’t clear.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2017, 03:30 PM »
Big unorganized lots get a reduced tax rate. some of the large lots being bought are being posted . So east of Ragged lake around Big Fisher and little Fisher were cut off hard and sold. now roads are gated and trees are painted with stripes.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Big unorganized lots get a reduced tax rate. some of the large lots being bought are being posted . So east of Ragged lake around Big Fisher and little Fisher were cut off hard and sold. now roads are gated and trees are painted with stripes.

Oh Boy! Nothing to do with this proposal though.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2017, 03:42 PM »
There has been talk in the past about a property tax break for large landowners who allow hunting or public access. I never heard of any such tax break being made into law.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:00 PM »
umm hello  ??? ever hear of Roxanne quimby ? ::)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:11 PM »
umm hello  ??? ever hear of Roxanne quimby ? ::)

87,000 acres is now a federal monument. It is creating jobs now and in the future, many more than 35 permanent jobs the DAPL will give. It is also becoming a major draw for tourists, which will boost a hurting local economy.

I don’t know about wild foraging but......

"3. The land is open to hunting.(and fishing)

The same east end that is open to snowmobiles is also open to seasonal hunting. "Every activity that was allowed on the land prior to the president’s proclamation is allowed today," Farmer says. "The monument, which is managed by the National Park Service, forever guarantees that there will be public access for hunting and snowmobiling, protecting these traditional activities that are critical to the area’s economy. Such protections are unusual for national monuments.”

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/articles/14-reasons-to-get-excited-about-katahdin-woods-the-newest-national-monument-in-maine-w436792

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:23 PM »
oh I know a ton of jobs  ::) bs bs bs ! she got her way and no taxes to pay now ! it only cost her a few $$ to the Clinton campaign  :P I know all about her and don't need you to post some story from the mens journal to form an opinion . oh btw only a small portion of the monument is open to hunting so good try on that too . have you even been there before ? I'm guessing no  @)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:35 PM »
oh I know a ton of jobs  ::) bs bs bs ! she got her way and no taxes to pay now ! it only cost her a few $$ to the Clinton campaign  :P I know all about her and don't need you to post some story from the mens journal to form an opinion . oh btw only a small portion of the monument is open to hunting so good try on that too . have you even been there before ? I'm guessing no  @)

My, we are in a bit of a pucker, aren’t we....  ;D

Some jobs are better than none. Tourism is an expanding industry. Protected deer yards are better than starving deer. Old growth forest preservation now and  in the future creates more habitat for more varied species survival. More managed forests create less acid runoff protecting larval fish and their insect larvae food sources. Ideology is not biology.  ;D :flex: :woot: :icefish:

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:05 PM »
and the tax $$ for the 87000 acres would be a big help to the area ! I have no problem with someone owning land and doing with it what they want but this was very underhanded . I shouldn't expect any less from Roxanne and obozo though ::) and you still didn't answer my question ! this isn't Yellowstone we are talking about its some old clearcuts and a  logging road ! yes ive been all around the area how about you ? there I asked it again . also I would think you of all people would be against these monuments that just seem to appear wherever obummer wanted   http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/160330-atlantic-marine-monument-cashes-ledge-new-england-seamounts-georges-bank   ;)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:36 PM »
and the tax $$ for the 87000 acres would be a big help to the area ! I have no problem with someone owning land and doing with it what they want but this was very underhanded . I shouldn't expect any less from Roxanne and obozo though ::) and you still didn't answer my question ! this isn't Yellowstone we are talking about its some old clearcuts and a  logging road ! yes ive been all around the area how about you ? there I asked it again . also I would think you of all people would be against these monuments that just seem to appear wherever obummer wanted   http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/160330-atlantic-marine-monument-cashes-ledge-new-england-seamounts-georges-bank   ;)

Yep! Barack did a lot of good stuff! thanks for reminding me!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Yep! Barack did a lot of good stuff! thanks for reminding me!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:04 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Nothing to do with this Bill or ice fishing and.....HA! NOT Accurate....
"Barack Obama has presided over one of the largest peacetime outflows of ... When the deportation numbers for 2013 were released Bob ...”
Deported more than any other president...  http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21595892-barack-obama-has-presided-over-one-largest-peacetime-outflows-people-americas

During the last term, Barack was responsible or getting the Iraqi and other locals to fight and beat back ISIS without Massive American Troop Build up or deaths of our men and women in uniform. Just true.... Look it up

Barack brought us out the Great Hole left by the Bush terms in 2008 AND left Rump with a growing economy building jobs, made great gains toward renewable energy sources, hit s country became a top world energy producer under Barack, etc .....

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:06 AM »
Anyone else going to this hearing today?

9huskies, How can I recognize you down there?

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:32 AM »
I plan on being there Joe.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Foraging Bill~~~ Taking My Jig Rods!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:10 AM »
Taking my gear with me! Have a little pond in mind on the way home!

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:35 AM »
I'm already on Messalonskee Lake.
Going down to Augusta later with the Mrs. to renew her driver's license. Then going to swing over to the State House at 1:30 pm to check things out.

Offline 44 Degrees North

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Taking my gear with me! Have a little pond in mind on the way home!

Didn't see you on the news tonight. When they were talking oysters I expected you to star.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:11 PM »

Didn't see you on the news tonight. When they were talking oysters I expected you to star.

He was there. I saw him testify against the foraging bill.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:24 PM »
He was there. I saw him testify against the foraging bill.
Were you the BIG guy that left early?  ;D

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Were you the BIG guy that left early?  ;D

Yup. It looked like you guys had things well in hand.
Nice job testifying.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:31 PM »
Yup. It looked like you guys had things well in hand.
Nice job testifying.

Seemed to go in foragers favor....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.