The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Where to Fish  (Read 596 times)

Offline afinn35

• IceShanty Rookie
Where to Fish
« on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:32 PM »
My son and I used to ice fish in CO and loved it.  We now live in SW VA and love it here but there is no ice.  We are looking for  a place in PA to fish the second week of February.  Looking for a place with maybe some cottages or cabins and a bait store, diner, grocery.  Any Recommendations?  We have fished Chautauqua in NY in the summer but are hoping to not have to drive that far.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
Re: Where to Fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:58 AM »
Hey man...I lived in Winchester/white post, Virginia in the past....no ice ;D. Our home lake is Glendale, they have cottages, places to eat, bait, near too...deep creek Maryland is probably your nearest really good option, everything you need there...we live in northern cambria, pa. When we go north, we hit Pymatuming or allegheny reservior(kinzua dam)...Pymatuming is our favorite, bigger crappie and perch, than Glendale, and walleye and channel cats... although Glendale has real good perch/crappiepopulation.  pymatuming on the border of pa/Ohio has many many food and lodging. There are also about five waterways to ice fish in that area...
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline afinn35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:50 AM »
Thanks Essoxhunter and jason 1817.

I appreciate the information and will have a look at those places.  Jason, I system wouldn't allow me to email you back - I appreciate the information.  Crappie and perch are just what we need. It's been 4 years since we fished through the ice.

Thanks Again!

Andy

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:18 AM »
I would second Pymy as it offers a lot in the way of lodging and amenities for your fishing trip.  Please note though that the PFBC is adopting new regulations on crappie size limit and quantity, effective March 1 2017...so it shouldn't impact this ice season.  From what I understand there will be a minimum length and total kreel limit put into place (20 crappie per day).

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline afinn35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Thanks ComplexSimon.  I appreciate the feedback.  We are gonna give that place a good look

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.