Author Topic: What set up to use fishing for perch with tip ups  (Read 1663 times)

RedneckofLatham

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What set up to use fishing for perch with tip ups
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:19 AM »
7 of any combination

littlemelon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:49 AM »
A very long time ago, the 3 of us would use our "home-made" tip ups (which I do not have anymore) and rods.
  On my tip I had some type of braided black line tied off with a barrel swivel and about 2-3' of gold trilene, I think it was 4 pound test; I had the mono tied with a #6 or 8 treble, above the hook I had 2 or 3 red or florescent orange beads and above that I had a tiny swivel spinner blade from Mister-Twister, a small split shot I would tip the hooks with a minnow head and spikes or meal worms, I got the idea from Mid-West-Outdoors-paper.
 On my rod (my peg stick handle, that I made in wood shop class. and I do not have that  any more) my color was a tiny orange glitter jig (I still have one, but it is a safe place) that one would be tipped with maggots or spikes.
 But I would rather target bluegill's, I like eating those the best.
  My other bud BIG E as we called him used basically the same set up but no spinner blade and tipped his minnows through the back, and on his rod was close to mine he would use a tiny red/silver jig with minnows. He made a nifty hook remover from a Bic pen, pulled the cap and ink tube out and made a very clean incision and carried it like a pencil behind your ear.
     Now Rod, he was a piece of work, all I ever scene him fish was Mepps #0-#1 black fury's again he would tip them like me a minnow head, or spikes. Rod would be out in his folding lawn chair and coffee.
Just wanted to share.

kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:25 PM »
From the NY DEC:

"No more than 7 ice-fishing lines may be used, except as noted in BORDER WATERS, LAKE CHAMPLAIN or SPECIAL REGULATIONS BY COUNTY."

That's a combination of poles, tip ups, tip downs or hand lines.
><((((>`..`..`...><((((>.
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>

fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:56 PM »
I've been using a new tip-up I found at the Milwaukee ice show called the Finicky Fooler. You use your rod and reel combo and leave the bail open with this tip-up. It can be set very sensitive for panfish and you can reel the fish in. I use 4# Berkley  Nanofil and tie direct to a small single hook and hook my minnows through the mouth. Perch will swallow the minnow head first, so your hooking percentage is higher.

KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:58 PM »
I think you can use 7 tip ups and 2 poles in NY.

NY changed recently from 5 tipups and 2 poles, to 7 lines in any combination. For example, if you have seven tipups out, you can't jig. If you have six tipups out, you can jig with one rod.

That is the rule for NY, except lake Champlain like someone mentioned earlier. 15 tipups is too many for me to handle. Lol

Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2017, 02:06 PM »
A couple options I use is a #8 treble with a bass minnow fished with 4lb leader.  Keeps the dinks off and rewards are usually just the jumbos.  I also use the HT Windless tip-ups with a jigging rap or road runner jig head tipped with a minnow head.  Have been successful with that too.  Good Luck!  :tipup:
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.