Author Topic: It's Nasty out There...  (Read 1820 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It's Nasty out There...
« on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Got woken up at 3:00 this morning by my dog howling at the wind so I figured I'm already up... might as well get in a couple hours  before work. Didn't bother with the traps, just jigging in the Bayrunner. Got a few Crappie in the first few minutes, and then I realized that not bothering to anchor the Bayrunner was a mistake... 2 big gusts in a row and I was off across the pond, the wind carried me about 50 feet before enough snow built up in front of the tub to stop me. Thought I was woods bound at first lol, I'm sure I wasn't moving fast but it sure looked like it as the ice was buzzing past my trap door peeling drag off my reel... packed it in after that but not too bad, 3 fish in 5 minutes then a carnival ride... Now I'm ready for work lol.
If you go out today... don't trust the snow to keep your portable still... Good luck
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: It's Nasty out There...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:05 AM »
With the wind and rain I had a thick sheet of ice all over me just walking to to Shack today, must have gained 10lbs on the walk :-\    fishing is slow also....  probably retire at noon to plow and shovel the yard
Let it freeze

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Sounds like a fun ride.
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Sounds like a fun ride.

I'm just glad I didn't flip over... Me and my buddy Chris both face planted in my old Shappell dxl3000 suitcase shanty when a heavy gust blew the thing over with us sitting in it on bar stools... pulled the lags through the floor right out of the ice... coffee, exposed jigs, and gear everywhere along with a buddy heater humming along to add to the obstacle course of getting out... Good times
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:26 AM »
I have had a flip-over take off across the ice while empty but never while in it. Glad you enjoyed the ride and that it didn't go over or hit weak ice.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:30 AM »
 this is one of the few days I'd rather be at work...I'll fish the post storm bite tomorrow...

your brave souls...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:47 AM »
this is one of the few days I'd rather be at work...I'll fish the post storm bite tomorrow...

your brave souls...
Yeah hoping we nail some Bows.  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:48 AM »
I'm just glad I didn't flip over... Me and my buddy Chris both face planted in my old Shappell dxl3000 suitcase shanty when a heavy gust blew the thing over with us sitting in it on bar stools... pulled the lags through the floor right out of the ice... coffee, exposed jigs, and gear everywhere along with a buddy heater humming along to add to the obstacle course of getting out... Good times
That's Nuts glad everything turned out ok.
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:50 AM »
I have had a flip-over take off across the ice while empty but never while in it. Glad you enjoyed the ride and that it didn't go over or hit weak ice.

I've had it get away from me once on my hike out when I just left it alone to run to the shoreline for a whiz. Normally I'd put a couple anchors down or it's hooked to the wheeler when I know I'll be in and out tending traps but figured no way will it go anywhere sitting on an inch or so of snow and I didn't plan on getting out till it was time to leave so I didn't bother anchoring... but this snow is like little ice marbles.

your brave souls...

Usually I avoid days like today but I knew early on a Tuesday that I'd be the only one around and could pick a hole close to the road and my truck... Just a quick 90 second walk out, and a Bayrunner can be setup and heat on in about 30 seconds... Never even put on my jacket.
If I were going to walk across the lake or buzz the wheeler a couple miles somewhere I would have thrown slippers at the dog and went back to bed lol.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:56 AM »
Sounds like a fun ride.

"You're not in Kansas anymore!"
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Sounds like you had a New Ipswich sleigh ride, Stealth?
Kudos on taking advantage of the early wake up call.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Some days are better, spent getting ready for the next outing...today is one of those days (besides shoveling these nasty little ice balls)  :P

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Yeah hoping we nail some Bows.  :tipup:

Tomorrow is looking like a good day weather wise to chase a post storm bit... might have to toss a plank in the truck and venture out to find some myself. Work will still be here Thursday.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2017, 08:39 AM »
crazy
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Crazy for sure....had something similar happen to me on Great East once... we had just set up ( Clam Yukon ) and I went to start putting in the anchors and the wind came up and took it for ride down the lake...
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.