Author Topic: Boot Comparison: Baffin Wolf Boots vs. Cabella's Inferno 2000 Pac Boot  (Read 1201 times)

torchd

• IceShanty Rookie
I am looking for a good ice fishing boot. I have narrowed it down to the Baffin Wolf boot or the Cabella's Inferno 2000 Pac boot.

Baffin is good up to -40F, no laces, has a removable liner,midcalf design, weighs 4lbs 6.5 oz/pair and price is ~$185

Cabella's has 2000 gram thinsulate material, mid calf design, has laces, 5.7 lbs/pair and is $112

I will get the BPS redhead wool life time warranty sock to pair these with but I am not sure what size boot to get? I wear a shoe depending on the manufacturer anywhere between an US 11 or US 12. So what size boot should I get when using wool socks?

Any pointers or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cabelas Predator or Trans Alaska.  I'd be surprised in you needed anything more than a a pair of hanes in either. True to size.  Haven't worn baffins.

Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
Not familiar with either boot ...but I like a slip on/off boot ...wicking liner and a good wool sock ...also suggest a size larger for wiggle room . Find a retailer that has a good liberal return policy w/free returns . Buying boots on line can be challenging .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
I can't help with what boot.       I have 2 sets of baffin but they are the snow monster and titan.   So far I like them but.  Because of work I have not been fishing as much as I would like to.

For the baffin you could check reviews on amazon on how they fit.     And or call baffin.  I did both

Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have Baffin impacts that I just purchased this year....they look to be very similar to Baffin wolf? I had the Cabelas boots for a few years....I absolutely love my Baffin impacts....my feet get cold fairly easily and honestly I wear a thin pair of under armor socks with the Baffin and stay unbelievably warm...when and if they ever wear out I will defiantly buy Baffin again....

405g

• IceShanty Rookie
I have the Baffin Impacts as well. Very warm boot. Your feet will not be cold. Easy on and easy off. They run about a size larger. Only drawback is that they are not 100% waterproof. A couple hours in the slush and your feet will be damp.

torchd

• IceShanty Rookie
That's the general consensus that I am getting, is that the Baffin's are not 100% waterproof, but water resistant.

I will check out the Impacts.

JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
I would look at the cabelas trans Alaskan boots also. On sale for $153 right now. As warm as the baffins if not warmer in my opinion, and completely waterproof. Run a little small so I ordered a full size up and they fit great. Also have an additional 10% off + free shipping right now. That's $138 to your door, great deal for those boots.

IceMonsters

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team New York
Baffin all the way! Best boots i ever bought
"Down the hole my little jig goes, what comes up....I'll never know!"

Team Monster.

Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
I would look at the cabelas trans Alaskan boots also. On sale for $153 right now. As warm as the baffins if not warmer in my opinion, and completely waterproof. Run a little small so I ordered a full size up and they fit great
Best boots I have ever owned.

DTro

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have the Inferno and while I have no complaints and I really like them and would recommend them,  I would rather have a more simple pull on design.  Speed laces are fine, but no laces are even better. 

evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cabelas trans alaskan or the sascatchewans. I believe they are the same boot one just has camo pattern and scentlock.

timr35

• IceShanty Rookie
Not to add any confusion but have you looked at the Kamik Goaliath"s ?

torchd

• IceShanty Rookie
I ended up ordering tonight the Cabella's Inferno 2000 Pac Boot for $110 shipped:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Inferno-Pac-Boots-Black/731369.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dinferno%26CQ_st%3Db

I also ordered a pair of Ice Armor bibs from Amzon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXKJ3RD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now for my wool sock, I will be using the BPS RedHead Limetime wool sock:  http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Lifetime-Guarantee-AllPurpose-Wool-Socks-for-Men/product/34713/

Now what I need to do research on is a BASE LAYER.  It looks like the BPS shop (their XPS) version looks good.  I am not sure which one to go with..  1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 for shirts and same the pants.  Is anyone using BPS base layers?

jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've had the Inferno 2000's and Baffin Control Max pacs and the Baffins win hands down in every aspect for me.

People worry about them not being waterproof but all you have to do is hit the stitches with some seam grip or similar product and you are good to go. I've fished with several inches of slush and water on the ice and never had we feet.

J-

carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
The baffin titan is all rubber and same liner as the impact, better for ice fishing and best winter boot ive owned
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic

Now what I need to do research on is a BASE LAYER.  It looks like the BPS shop (their XPS) version looks good.  I am not sure which one to go with..  1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 for shirts and same the pants.  Is anyone using BPS base layers?

I go with a tech/silk/1.0 weight ...then add from there 3.0 or 4.0 weight depending on the weather temperatures forecast for that day ...atop that a good hoodie ...the best investment I have made for warmth is a good fleece vest ..if your core is warm your extremities will be too ... my outer layer is SI Predator Parka/Bibs ...most days don't need the Parka .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

torchd

• IceShanty Rookie
I got my boots and bibs today.  Pretty quick seeing as I ordered at 9pm on Tuesday night.

As for my Cabella boots, these things are huge lol.  The mid calf portion of the boot needs to be broken in, it is quite stiff.  Also I ordered a size 12 boot, depending on my shoes I am either an 11 or 12, well i should of gotten a size 13 to begin with.  Tomorrow I will head to a Cabella's store that is ~30 mins away to exchange them.

My bibs fit perfectly.  Just loose enough for me.  They are not digging at the crotch while standing or squatting.

9huskies

• Team IceShanty Addict
Both of those boots have too much insulation. Unless you're sleeping outside without a sleeping bag you don't need more than 600 gram Thinsulate in your boots. Many winters working at ski resorts taught me much about boots and outerwear. One thing I learned is when your feet sweat they will get colder than when they are dry. I used to wear the warmest rated boots I could get. Now I wear 400 gram boots when the temps are above -10 and 600 gram boots when it's colder. My feet are more comfortable now that they were with the heavier boots. That makes my whole body feel better.

torchd

• IceShanty Rookie
Both of those boots have too much insulation. Unless you're sleeping outside without a sleeping bag you don't need more than 600 gram Thinsulate in your boots. Many winters working at ski resorts taught me much about boots and outerwear. One thing I learned is when your feet sweat they will get colder than when they are dry. I used to wear the warmest rated boots I could get. Now I wear 400 gram boots when the temps are above -10 and 600 gram boots when it's colder. My feet are more comfortable now that they were with the heavier boots. That makes my whole body feel better.
With the high insulated boots, you don't necessarily need a thick wool sock.  Wear a polypropylene sock and you favorite sock after that.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.