New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: The Great Mariaville Lake Derby...  (Read 644 times)

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
The Great Mariaville Lake Derby...
« on: Feb 13, 2006, 05:23 AM »
       ...was as much fun this year as any other, and getting better. My Bud Sean and I took his son, Rusty, and Rusty's pal, Alex, out for their apprenticeship training as ice rookies, and lo, they beat us badly. Both the boys, aged 14, are hopelessly hooked now. Alex got his first Pickeral,(the Target fish), through the ice, and Rusty got some nice Perch for his first real fillet meal. Sean and I got a few dinks, a couple of very nice Smallmouth Bass, and lost several BIG Pickeral at the hole.
        We got the boys set up first after drilling 40 holes. They each picked their own line of holes and bought their bait at the store 100 yards away. We used fatheads and shiners and ended up using two dozen bait, both on the tips and jigging. Sean and I couldn't get the Vex or the MarCum away from the boys once they picked up on how to use them. We had to wait 'till the NO BITE BOREDOM hit, but then of course the bite was off.
        The derby was for both Sat. and Sunday but we had motorcycle business in Syracuse Sunday so we don't yet know the actual results and winners. I'll post that later today but, as of 2:00pm Saturday a 13" Perch and a 24 1/2" Pickeral were leading.
         This derby is much fun in general, the day being marred only by an emergency on the ice that required the entire volunteer contingent of Fire and Ambulance personnel. I'd heard that someone slipped and banged his head on the ice very hard. He was transported and we resumed fishing. Catching fish while watching the motorcycle racing a few yards away was very enlightening for those folk who think such fun activities ruin the fishing. Bah, humbug.
           The only 'Disturbing' thing for me was not being able to hear the kids shout ''FLAGGGG'' while the bikes were racing through the second turn. Those old Triumph motorcycles sound like two unmuffled Jiffy's running down the ice at 100mph. I may 'Spike Up' the tires on my Harley Sporter and use it to tow my stuff. I'll mark out a quarter mile track with my tips and hang the Vex off the clutch side bar and a jig rod in a holder on the motor so I can "Adjust" the vibration with the throttle and..... ;D :tipup: ;D... well, maybe next year. Tight lines. :tipup:
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: The Great Mariaville Lake Derby...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:12 AM »
first place 24 1/2" pickerel
second place 23 3/4" pickerel
3rd place (4 way tie) 23 1/2" pickerel
Biggest perch 13"

I tied for 3rd place. There were 130 people entered. The coolest part was when some guy in a world war 2 fighter plane divebombed us on the lake and flew several times over our heads on saturday. Yesterday we watched as a bunch of kids had a frozen pickerel fight. The fishing was slow this weekend. I will try again next year.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.