New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Adirondack help??  (Read 1662 times)

Offline JoeFish34

• IceShanty Rookie
Adirondack help??
« on: Feb 13, 2006, 05:18 AM »
Hey guys, I am coming from Central Ohio to the Adirondacks Thursday with my 15 yr old son to give him his first ice fishing experience. Was wondering if anyone might be able to help us out with a little info as to where we might find some eyes and perch and what we might try using.   I haven't hit the ice in about 19 years so it is like starting all over for me too.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  thanks

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Adirondack help??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2006, 06:08 AM »
What part of the Adirondacks??  Tell us where you'll be and I'm sure you'll get plenty of info...Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:00 AM »
Yeah, Joe.  You are going to have to narrow it down a little.  There's a lot of room in the Adirondacks!  I'm in the Tupper Lake area, if you are coming to my neck of the woods. 
MIke

Offline JoeFish34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:41 AM »
Yeah i guess i should have narrowed it a little.  Ill be in the Port Henry area for 4 days and i hear there is no ice on champlain.  thanks for any info you can give.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2006, 12:10 PM »
I'm not hearing any good reports of ice in that region.  Champlain is quite treacherous this year from what I am hearing.  I wouldn't plan on doing much fishing there unless the weather changes drastically in the near future.  But, it is supposed to warm back up again this week.
Mike

Offline JoeFish34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Can you point me in any direction to any decent lakes from lake placid down to Saratoga that would hold some eyes or perch?

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Can you point me in any direction to any decent lakes from lake placid down to Saratoga that would hold some eyes or perch?

Well, you could always hit Saratoga Lake...I hear that place has some great fishing to be had!  ;) :D  I'm over here at college on the other side of Saranac Lake, and all the lakes over this way are frozen with at LEAST 12".  There isn't much for walleyes in the Adirondacks.  Aside from Saratoga and The Dead Sea (Great Sacandaga Reservoir...don't waste your time going there if you want to bring your kid out, and you've never been there).  Franklin Falls Flow has walleyes, but they're few and far between.  Saratoga would be your best bet.  If you're going to be running tipups, you may get pike, chain pickerel, bass, walleyes and perch.  Jigging is a good bet for perch and gills, with the occasional walleye or bass thrown in.  I don't know much about the lake, but can tell you that it's a good bet, and that you'll definitely get some very good information on here about the lake.  PM me if you want some info on the lakes in the Saranac Lake area.   :)

-Zach

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:09 PM »
Well, we have walleyes in Tupper Lake, Simond Pond and Horseshoe Pond, which are all close to me.  Franklin Falls also has some but I never ice fished there. 
Mike

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:12 PM »
Well, you could always hit Saratoga Lake...I hear that place has some great fishing to be had!     I'm over here at college on the other side of Saranac Lake, and all the lakes over this way are frozen with at LEAST 12".  There isn't much for walleyes in the Adirondacks.  Aside from Saratoga and The Dead Sea (Great Sacandaga Reservoir...don't waste your time going there if you want to bring your kid out, and you've never been there).  Franklin Falls Flow has walleyes, but they're few and far between.  Saratoga would be your best bet.  If you're going to be running tipups, you may get pike, chain pickerel, bass, walleyes and perch.  Jigging is a good bet for perch and gills, with the occasional walleye or bass thrown in.  I don't know much about the lake, but can tell you that it's a good bet, and that you'll definitely get some very good information on here about the lake.  PM me if you want some info on the lakes in the Saranac Lake area.   

-Zach

Zach,
I don't know for sure, but I don't think they have good ice in Saratoga, do they?  I know Lake George is wide open and they have been catching salmon out of their boats.
Mike

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:14 PM »
Duh, of course, I can't believe I forgot about Tupper and Simon....I just caught a 21"er out of Simon at the IceShanty get-together a few weeks ago...  :P  Lake Pleasant, and Piseco Lake also have walleyes, but I'm not sure of the population status in those places...

-Zach

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure Saratoga has locked back up along the shorelines...The shorelines were rough, but I've got to believe that with this recent cold that it's locked back up...

-Zach

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:19 PM »
Well, I really know nothing about Saratoga!  But, it is supposed to warm back up this week.  Will that raise hell with the ice in Saratoga?
Mike

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:56 PM »
There's 12 inches of ice on saratoga and its only going to get better, just dont venture over by the kaydeross creek on the west side, everywhere else is good  :tipup:

camo_fish

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2006, 04:12 PM »
There's 12 inches of ice on saratoga and its only going to get better, just dont venture over by the kaydeross creek on the west side, everywhere else is good  :tipup:
and stay away from the bridge at the boat launch and the docks on the other side of the launch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.