Author Topic: Recon 5+ video format on the latest Windows OS versions (Windows 10) for inst.  (Read 604 times)

Offline kpersons

• IceShanty Rookie
I see you save you videos in avi file types, which Apple has dropped support for Quicktime and all the other video players you suggest in your documentation are also all very old.  I bought a Marcum Recon 5+ and disappointed you did not update your video format to support more modern types.  You should be supporting video players that come with the latest versions of Windows, instead of us installing possibly compromised older video players.  I am not a Mac user, but do know Apple stopped supporting of Quicktime several years back, its been hacked.

Offline kpersons

• IceShanty Rookie
Here is their response and my reply back.

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 1:58 PM
To: 'MarCum Technologies Helpdesk'
Subject: RE: Feedback for Answer ID 287 (Rated: Not Helpful) [Incident: 170112-000100]

Can I expect any follow up with this, or is this just the way it is?  I also posted this same frustration on a community site you guys have a section on that you monitor.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=179.0

You guys really need to do mp4 or some other more common format, avi is old very large and Microsoft stopped supporting it in their past few OS’s so you need to download some old app that is very unsecure, especially QuickTime and open your PC up to freeware/shareware and hacked apps.  Very bad on your company’s part.  This is why I am expressing my frustration with a new product, where is your company’s research.

Just an FYI, I own 3 different very common Media management software packages and they stopped supporting the viewing of AVI files a few years back.  Adobe Photo Element, Nero MediaHome, Cyberlink PhotoDirector.  Each will download from cameras, SD cards etc. and allow for a great interface to manage all your photos and video’s instead of just using Window explorer and some old video player.  They will download avi’s, but will not support playing back.

From: MarCum Technologies Helpdesk [mailto:Helpdesk@MarCumtech.com]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 7:52 AM
T
Subject: Feedback for Answer ID 287 (Rated: Not Helpful) [Incident: 170112-000100]

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response. We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 48 hours. Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.
Subject
Feedback for Answer ID 287 (Rated: Not Helpful)
Response By Email (Jeremiah) (01/13/2017 07:51 AM)
I am sorry you are not happy with our Cameras.
I have forwarded your review to our engineers for future software concerns.
Thank you for taking the time to send this in.
Jeremiah
Customer By Service Web () (01/12/2017 12:33 PM)
This feedback is about:
http://marcum.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/287

Quicktime is NOT supported anymore. Why do you save in avi formats? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201175 Why don't you use the most common standard formats? Not happy I cannot use any default Windows apps to view the videos and download some junk 3rd party viewers or no longer supported Quicktime. This is a brand new model but with old formats. FIX IT or allow us to pick a format. All your suggested players are OLD CRAP!!! NOT happy!!!!
Question Reference # 170112-000100
•   Date Created: 01/12/2017 12:33 PM
•   Date Last Updated: 01/13/2017 07:51 AM

Offline hardwater diehard

• Team IceShantyholic
Well aint that something ...hope you clued them in and they rectify that for you and others .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
This problem is being discovered by others now.

See http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=343440.0
and

I sure hope that Marcum can make this right.  The DVR is worthless without an easy way to view the videos and pictures on a computer screen.  And while they're at it, they should fix it so that the users can manage those files from the PC, instead of forcing us to do so from the Recon 5+ "Library".  It is ridiculous to have to load the DVR chip into the computer, copy files from chip to the computer, remove the chip, load it into the DVR, fire up the Library function, and delete the files there.  Why not just let us load the chip in the computer, cut files from the chip, paste to the PC, and replace the empty chip in the DVR?  No brainer.   

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
Techno dummy here, but.  One of my tablets didn't recognize the video from my Aqua Vu.  Used a newer one and when it came to"save as" I used a different file type to save.  Might convert right in the computer.  Doing chit like that scares the crap out of me in case I screw everything up. 

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.