Author Topic: Barometric Pressure Message Board Study  (Read 1154 times)

Offline ejg

• IceShanty Rookie
Barometric Pressure Message Board Study
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:12 PM »
I had an idea if anyone is willing to participate. I was sort of inspired after reading this article that I thought was very interesting http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/barometric-pressure-and-bass/

I was hoping the people on this message board might be interested in taking a quick minute after there fishing trips to make a simple post here with the below information. I'm hoping it provides us some interesting insight at the end of the season. I don't have a definition to clarify the difference between slowly and sharply rising or declining, just use your best judgement.

Species Targeted:

Rate your Bite:
 1. Great
 2. Good
 3. Mediocre
 4. Terrible

What was the Pressure:

1.   Steady (List Avg pressure)
2.   Slowly rising (List starting and ending pressure if you can)
3.   Slowly falling (List starting and ending pressure if you can)
4.   Sharply Rising (List starting and ending pressure if you can)
5.   Sharply Falling(List starting and ending pressure if you can)

Additional comments:

Thanks in advance for anyone interested in participating.

Eric

Offline OldGreyBeard

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Barometric Pressure Message Board Study
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:38 PM »
In the hope that I would discover a link between barometric pressure and successful ice fishing, I've kept ice fishing records that include barometric pressure measurements and trends for quite some time. My sampling is not huge - maybe 150 trips out on the ice - but I would agree with the article that claims there is no link between barometric pressure and successful ice fishing. I've gone out a number of times as air pressure was dropping and a big snow storm was on the way. I had great success some of these times and other times have also been essentially skunked. I've seen the same scenarios play out when air pressure is rising and there are bluebird skies and when air pressure is steady.

Offline Fishndude75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:56 PM »
I think you would have better luck seeing how many beers guys drank out wile ice fishing while the fishing was good or bad lol
I live life one fish at a time!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:13 PM »
I like applying science when ever possible to fishing... The problem I see with you survey is it does not take into account things like cloud cover, something that often changes with a change in air pressure and could be argued, has more bearing on fish behavior... And that is just one data point...

Offline Weatherfinatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:16 AM »
You would also have to include the solunar table in with those measurements.
Tony

Offline Chrisper4694

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:07 PM »
my logs show patterns in pressure, moon phase, weather in general, etc only when you take into consideration specific species and a lot of times even specific lakes.  very few if any patterns i've found so far are able to be generalized over multiple species and places.  for example certain moon phases seem to be good for walleye fishing on lake hopatcong, but completely different moon phases will prove to be good on swartswood.  no, this is not an ice fishing example btw haha.

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:25 PM »
In my limited experience it has always seemed that a change in pressure is what can change fishes mood. Sometimes they want to eat, sometimes it turns them off. But its the change in pressure that seems more important than the pressure itself. Then again, sometimes there eating no matter what. I feel like weather patterns are not as important as other things like water temperature, moon phases, and length of daylight, so its hard to do more than make generalizations as to how weather affects fish behavior. But I'm not a biologist so what do I know

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.