Author Topic: South Bend Area  (Read 1026 times)

Offline whopperstopper

• IceShanty Rookie
South Bend Area
« on: Feb 12, 2006, 09:35 AM »
Well hello everyone- This is my first post on this site. I have been reading all of the posts daily since November.I live in South Bend, born and raised in Michigan City. I love to fish the NW corner of Indiana. This area offers a vary unique variety of species and opprotunities. The ice fishing has been a bust so i guess i will talk about the spring cycle that is already here. Most fish (other than sunfish) are going to start the spring cycles this month and next. Perch spawn very early.  If you want JUMBO perch, launch out of Michigan City. The perch fishing has been outstanding the last 3 years. If you don't know the spots, just head for the pack of boats. These perch move in vary large schools and are vary eager biters.The fish start to come in around March. This is when I catch the big ones,The big numbers come in June/July/Aug. It is common to catch 15 inch fish daily. The fish in the lake are vary sensitive to warm/cold fronts. Fishing the day after the fronts almost always ends in no perch. They will vanish until things settle down for a 3-7 day period. The biggest secret to catching the 15+ inch fish is to use a single hook rig attached to a slip bobber. Use medium size shiners(2-4 inchers). The perch in Lake Michigan do not like the black bull minnows. Use only the shiny females. The perching will continue to get even better as long as the commercial fishing is banned. These fleets were responsible for almost wiping out the entire resource. The perch have now began to feed on the gobies. I have cleaned many a perch over 15 inches that stomachs are filled with gobies. I cant even express how happy I am about that. NOTHING was eating those things. They were taking over the lake.                     

As far as inland fishing nothing beats Fish Trap Lake in Laporte. I am fortunate to have access to this lake. This lake is full of very large fish but is unaccessible during open water unless you know someone. TRUST ME that lake is loaded. Very large walleye, crappie, gills, and pike. As far as fishing around South Bend, don't. Keep on driving  up into Michigan and stop at Diamond Lake. That is another jewel of a lake. Huge crappie and sunfish, as well as pike and walleye. I used my Aqua-View for the first time at this lake and I was amazed on the numbers of vary large fish I saw and caught. So is does anyone else fish these areas or am I the lone ambassador? I would love to meet some new friends that love to fish.
Tight lines, fine women, and cold beer......  who could want more?????
Whopperstopper

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: South Bend Area
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Welcome aboard. And a great post too. It is nice to have somene here tuned in to what is happening in Michigan City.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline Fish-trap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:10 PM »
Glad to see another NW fisherman on the site. Oh and btw, I have access to Fish Trap too. Let's try and keep it a secret ;)

Offline whopperstopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:43 PM »
 Sercret is safe as long as the two old guys that patrol the lake are alive. They are not happy campers to outsiders!!!!!!!!! Try to test them, the Laporte police will be there faster than you can wink. I understand though no more talk about the Trap.

Offline fishinworms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:34 PM »
welcome to the site.....interesting and informative post, looking forward to more of the same!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.